Old 03-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Registered User

Question Can anyone identify this?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could identify a plant for me. You can see it at the following link:

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/6505/flowerel1.jpg

It was seen in a perennial bed on the coast of Maine (zone 5, I think) yesterday. It looks tropical, but wasn't in a container, so must be pretty hardy.

Thanks!
__________________
Daisy
Old 03-09-2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can anyone identify this?

http://tinyurl.com/p33o4

It was seen in a perennial bed on the coast of Maine (zone 5, I think)
yesterday. It looks tropical, but wasn't in a container, so must be
pretty hardy.

Thanks!

Morning glory or bindweed or maybe jimson weed
Old 03-09-2006, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Daisy wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could identify a plant for me. You can see
it at the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/p33o4

It was seen in a perennial bed on the coast of Maine (zone 5, I think)
yesterday. It looks tropical, but wasn't in a container, so must be
pretty hardy.

Thanks!

Definitely a Datura (Jimson weed, thornapple, devil trumpet, loco
weed,etc.) Probably either D. inoxia or D.stramonium . Not sure.
Highly toxic, do not eat/rub your eyes etc. after handling. Folks have
died from trying to get high/hallucinate from the seeds/whatever. A kid
in germany cut off his own tongue and penis while using a tea from a
datura or related brugmansia IIRC.
The flowers last only about a day, opening at night to be pollinated by
a large moth. There are several cultivated varieties - some purple,
double purple, yellow, etc. Does well in sun/heat.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 03-09-2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Daisy schrieb:

I was wondering if anyone could identify a plant for me. You can see
it at the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/p33o4

Datura innoxia

see http://www.giftpflanzen.com/datura_innoxia.html

--
************ das GIFTPFLANZEN.COMpendium ************
***** weit über 500 Pflanzenportraits *****
Old 03-09-2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Daisy" wrote in message
news

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could identify a plant for me. You can see
it at the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/p33o4

It was seen in a perennial bed on the coast of Maine (zone 5, I think)
yesterday. It looks tropical, but wasn't in a container, so must be
pretty hardy.

Thanks!

--
Daisy

I can't see leaf well, but looks like Datura stramonium, extremelly
poisonous. In the past used for poisoning someone who is "****ing upstream
of Your creek". Many people died of using it during somekind rituals. The
flower smells seductive.. The seed is used for that, and also used in
official farmacolgy to make some medicaments. Poison in small doses is a
cure.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
Daisy wrote:

[...]

here's one of mine;
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=2687365

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 03-09-2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

I was wondering if anyone could identify a plant for me. You can see
it at the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/p33o4

Not enough clues here to be sure (what size was the flower; what did the
leaves look like?) but at this point I'd say it was probably a morning
glory.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could identify a plant for me. You can see
it at the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/p33o4

It was seen in a perennial bed on the coast of Maine (zone 5, I think)
yesterday. It looks tropical, but wasn't in a container, so must be
pretty hardy.

Thanks!

Datura inoxia. D. stramonium has a deeper cut leaf and the flower is
not as circular at the edge. I collect Datura and have seeds for
D.wrightii, D. inoxia, D.metel and others. The D.wrightii are huge
flowers and can be as large as 5 feet tall and ten feet wide. We
counted blooms on three plants the other night and it was well over a
hundred.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Registered User

Many thanks to all who replied. It's definitely Datura inoxia.
__________________
Daisy
Old 04-09-2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 08:58:39 +0100, Daisy
wrote:

Many thanks to all who replied. It's definitely Datura inoxia.

This plant species is in the nightshade family with tomatoes,
eggplants, and potatoes. AKA the Solanacea family of plants. All
parts of this particular plant can potentially kill a human, but so
can the foliage of a tomato plant. Seeds of datura can cause
hallucenations, which is why kids eat the seeds and usually take too
many and have been showing up dead. In New Jersey, several years ago
there were ten teens who died from eating the seeds. They can also
cause psychotic breaks.

MANY plants will do this.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jangchub schrieb:

not as circular at the edge. I collect Datura and have seeds for
D.wrightii, D. inoxia, D.metel and others.

^^^^^^

Oh, I am looking for seed of D. ferox. Can you tell me a source?

Old 04-09-2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://davesgarden.com/ps/go/48973/

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 05-09-2006, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 21:03:41 +0200, Benno Bös
wrote:

Jangchub schrieb:

not as circular at the edge. I collect Datura and have seeds for
D.wrightii, D. inoxia, D.metel and others.

^^^^^^

Oh, I am looking for seed of D. ferox. Can you tell me a source?

That is one I don't have, but you are welcome to the D. wrightii,
which get flowers almost a foot tall and six inches wide all summer
into the late fall.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Out here in the High Mojave Desert it grows wild, but I have found out that
Gophers will NOT eat it's roots, so I'm planing on making a barrier of it
around my garden! That will be an awesome project too.

In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
. com...