Old 08-09-2006, 08:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default planting hedge

hi
i would be grateful for any advice for planting an already mature hedge.

after a dispute with my neighbour, i am keen to plant a hedge along the side
of my front garden, but i want the privacy as soon as possible, i.e not have
to wait possibly 2 or 3 years for a hedge to grow.

the length of the hedge only needs to be about 2 meters, but i would ideally
like a height of about 1.5 - 2 meters straight away. also as dense as
possible, and evergreen!

would just putting a row of some kind of firs close together work?

this will be alongside a concrete wall about 1m in height if that makes a
difference

i do not have any gardening experience so if you have any ideas please post!

many thanks,
dave

Old 08-09-2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 07:08:06 GMT, "dave" wrote:

hi
i would be grateful for any advice for planting an already mature hedge.

after a dispute with my neighbour, i am keen to plant a hedge along the side
of my front garden, but i want the privacy as soon as possible, i.e not have
to wait possibly 2 or 3 years for a hedge to grow.

the length of the hedge only needs to be about 2 meters, but i would ideally
like a height of about 1.5 - 2 meters straight away. also as dense as
possible, and evergreen!

would just putting a row of some kind of firs close together work?

this will be alongside a concrete wall about 1m in height if that makes a
difference

i do not have any gardening experience so if you have any ideas please post!

many thanks,
dave

Using mature plants is expensive and you may lose some. Consider your
soil, moisture and sunlight and match these with plants that grow well
in your region (I have no idea where you live).
Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 12:48:05 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

[...]

If you are prepared to deal with bamboo, it does grow fast and is
beautiful. However, you need to study up on it first. Be sure to get
a variety that doesn't spread underground - the "clumping" type. Some
people dig a hole or trench and line it with metal or (concrete?) to
make sure the bamboo doesn't get away from you.

For interim privacy you could put up a 6' bamboo fence. You buy a roll
of bamboo fencing at a homeowners store and install it along a row of
temporary fence posts. Attractive, low-cost, and easily removable
when your hedge or whatever has grown to desired height.

Persephone
Old 09-09-2006, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"dave" wrote in message
. uk...
hi
i would be grateful for any advice for planting an already mature hedge.

after a dispute with my neighbour, i am keen to plant a hedge along the
side of my front garden, but i want the privacy as soon as possible, i.e
not have to wait possibly 2 or 3 years for a hedge to grow.

the length of the hedge only needs to be about 2 meters, but i would
ideally like a height of about 1.5 - 2 meters straight away. also as dense
as possible, and evergreen!

would just putting a row of some kind of firs close together work?

this will be alongside a concrete wall about 1m in height if that makes a
difference

i do not have any gardening experience so if you have any ideas please
post!

Check to see if Red Tips (Photinia Fraseri) are available & do well in your
area. They are very fast growers, form dense hedges and are attractive
year-round. I know they're available in England but I think I read that
they grow best in the southern region.

--
Tara

Old 09-09-2006, 10:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"scfundogs" wrote in message
"dave" wrote in message
[...]

great - thanks for all the replies,

i am in south west england (bristol) so the red tips might be an idea..

i have found companies which supply "instant hedges" but at about £400 per
meter i think i'll do it myself

guess i need to find out the soil type too and check the right plant will
grow, so thatnks for that too ..

dave