Old 24-09-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How do I kill wild ginger ?

Hi there,

I've got about 2 ton of wild ginger lurking in my "garden" .. any ideas
on how I can kill it off without killing the native trees ? (if I kill
the Kauri trees by accident the council will lynch me!)

I'm not kidding about the 2 ton part, the last owner of the house just
ignored it and it's taking over :-(

Thanks!

Mark

Old 25-09-2006, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 24 Sep 2006 15:38:45 -0700, "Pyrite"
wrote:

Hi there,

I've got about 2 ton of wild ginger lurking in my "garden" .. any ideas
on how I can kill it off without killing the native trees ? (if I kill
the Kauri trees by accident the council will lynch me!)

I'm not kidding about the 2 ton part, the last owner of the house just
ignored it and it's taking over :-(

Thanks!

Mark

You can always pull it out or spray with Roundup. Roundup won't harm
the trees unless you get it on the leaves. I'm wondering how you got
it to grow. I see it growing wild in the woods, usually at lower
elevations. It grows in small bunches here and there. It likes shady
moist acidic soil conditions and that's exactly what I have on the
sloped side of my house. Do you think it will grow there? I'm in
zone 7, e.TN.
Old 25-09-2006, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:

You can always pull it out or spray with Roundup. Roundup won't harm
the trees unless you get it on the leaves. I'm wondering how you got
it to grow. I see it growing wild in the woods, usually at lower
elevations. It grows in small bunches here and there. It likes shady
moist acidic soil conditions and that's exactly what I have on the
sloped side of my house. Do you think it will grow there? I'm in
zone 7, e.TN.

Pulling it up is going to be a mission, and the horrible stuff is just
everywhere, seems to love this area.
I've seen references about roundup .. is it OK to spray around ? Does
it break down in soil ?

I've no idea where "zone 7, e.TN." actually is ... America ?!?!

If you have Google Earth, and look at Latittude : 36°57'1.49"S
Longtitude: 174°37'53.45"E you'll see where I am and see if it
matches your garden.

Regards

Mark

Old 25-09-2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pyrite wrote:
Phisherman wrote:
I'm wondering how you got
it to grow. I see it growing wild in the woods, usually at lower
elevations. It grows in small bunches here and there. It likes shady
moist acidic soil conditions and that's exactly what I have on the
sloped side of my house. Do you think it will grow there? I'm in
zone 7, e.TN.

Pulling it up is going to be a mission, and the horrible stuff is just
everywhere, seems to love this area.

That's why common names are a problem on an international forum. What
Phisherman calls wild ginger is probably an Asarum species like A.
canadense. Judging by Pyrite's email address, he/she is probably
referring to a Hedychium species like H. gardnerianum or H. flavescens.

If I'm correct, then this website may be useful to Pyrite. It
describes the use of herbicides, including Round Up, to control
invasive Hedychium:

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/...ild-Ginger.asp

I've no idea where "zone 7, e.TN." actually is ... America ?!?!

Presumably eastern Tennessee, USA.

Old 25-09-2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

According to Environment Waikato in New Zealand you can control wild
ginger in two ways:

Physical Control
Pull out small seedlings by hand and dispose of them carefully.

Dig out small clumps and remove all of the root system. Dispose of
rhizomes by placing them in a black plastic bag and leaving them to
rot. Or place the rhizomes in a weak herbicide mix, then crush, dry and
burn them.

Herbicide Control
There are two main methods for herbicide control:

cut stump treatment

spray application.

Source: http://www.ew.govt.nz/enviroinfo/pes...wildginger.htm

The weed twister with the double coils is effective in removing
rhizomes and prostrate stems. Don't know if it could pull out a mature
wild ginger. If the root diameter is less than an inch, it probably
could?