Old 27-09-2006, 04:53 AM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Hen of the Woods

The "Hen" is one of our favorite edible mushrooms of the fall. It fits
our modus operandi regarding eating wild mushrooms. The only thing it
is likely to be mistaken for is a pile of dead leaves.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

Old 27-09-2006, 06:27 AM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc
-L. -L. is offline

--
PHOTO OF THE WEEK:
http://schmidling.com/pow.htm

Nice photo. I have a huge collection of photos of fungi I took when I
was in CA. I would love to identify all of them and start learning how
to ID edible mushrooms but I'm a bit afraid to eat any.

-L.

Old 27-09-2006, 02:09 PM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc

-L. wrote:

Nice photo. I have a huge collection of photos of fungi I took when I
was in CA. I would love to identify all of them and start learning how
to ID edible mushrooms but I'm a bit afraid to eat any.

With only photos you will only be able to identify a few obvious ones
but its a place to start. Get a field guide to mushrooms with lots of
pictures and start comparing them. If you think you have a match,
Google the name and get more info.

You will find that the next time you find a mushroom, you will need lots
more details to help identify it.

There are lots of mushroom books out there but I think the best place to
start in the Audubon one.

js

Old 27-09-2006, 03:13 PM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc

In article . com,
" wrote:

http://schmidling.com/pow.htm

We called it "chicken of the woods." :-) Mom always thought it a real
find.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Old 27-09-2006, 04:27 PM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc

wrote in message
ups.com...
The "Hen" is one of our favorite edible mushrooms of the fall. It fits
our modus operandi regarding eating wild mushrooms. The only thing it
is likely to be mistaken for is a pile of dead leaves.

js

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver
http://schmidling.com

I'm sure this will be my 'find' one day when I least expect it. So far,
despite thousands of days in the woods, it remains a holy grail for me.
The others (scaber stalk bolete, sulfer shelf, etc) have fallen one by one
but I can't seem to come across a hen of the woods.
Kurt
PS nice pic, and do you think overpopulated deer and coons are eating these
up before I can get to them?

Old 27-09-2006, 10:31 PM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc
-L. -L. is offline

Jack Schmidling wrote:

With only photos you will only be able to identify a few obvious ones
but its a place to start. Get a field guide to mushrooms with lots of
pictures and start comparing them. If you think you have a match,
Google the name and get more info.

You will find that the next time you find a mushroom, you will need lots
more details to help identify it.

There are lots of mushroom books out there but I think the best place to
start in the Audubon one.

Thanks for the info. My undergrad degree is in environmental biology
so I am used to field identification of different species. I'm just a
tad afraid to eat anything without an expert around to confirm my IDs,
LOL...

-L.

Old 27-09-2006, 11:08 PM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc

Steve Peek wrote:

wrote:

The "Hen" is one of our favorite edible mushrooms of the fall. It fits
our modus operandi regarding eating wild mushrooms. The only thing it
is likely to be mistaken for is a pile of dead leaves.

Everyone needs to be aware that this one, although delicious, can cause
severe gastric upset in a small percentage of the population.

I was unaware of this. I know Laetiporus sp. (Chicken of the Woods,
Sulfur Shelf) can cause gastric upset in some people, especially if
eaten raw. But, Grifola frondosa is available in some grocery stores.

I find it often in the fall, usually at the base of mature white oak.
Supposedly, it has much touted medicinal value.
Old 28-09-2006, 12:44 AM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc

Kurt wrote:

PS nice pic, and do you think overpopulated deer and coons are eating these
up before I can get to them?

We have the same critter problems here but they do not seem to be
interested in fungus.

js

Old 28-09-2006, 12:46 AM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc

Steve Peek wrote:
Everyone needs to be aware that this one, although delicious, can cause
severe gastric upset in a small percentage of the population.

That's interesting because I have confirmed a very mild stomach cramping
several hours after eating lots of them.

I also quit eating Giant Puffballs because it was much worse than mild.
I got pretty miserable.

js

Old 28-09-2006, 01:27 AM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc

Jack Schmidling wrote:

Steve Peek wrote:

Everyone needs to be aware that this one, although delicious, can
cause severe gastric upset in a small percentage of the population.

That's interesting because I have confirmed a very mild stomach cramping
several hours after eating lots of them.

I also quit eating Giant Puffballs because it was much worse than mild.
I got pretty miserable.

One of the general rules of mushroom consumption is to not overdo it.
Chitin, the main structural component of mushrooms (and the component of
insect exoskeletons), is indigestible by humans. A very large meal of
mushrooms might result in intestinal obstruction. Along with thorough
cooking, small portions are the rule.
Old 28-09-2006, 08:44 PM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc

-L. wrote:

Thanks for the info. My undergrad degree is in environmental biology
so I am used to field identification of different species. I'm just a
tad afraid to eat anything without an expert around to confirm my IDs,
LOL...

-L.

Around here the local arboretum offers classes in edible wild plants,
including mushrooms. Surely there is something like that in CA.
When I have a new mushroom popping up in my property I pocket it and go
to B&N where, sipping coffee, I identify it from at least two field
guides. In the process I have figured which two field guides I want to
buy (they are all good, but some fit your thought process better). I
eat only the mushrooms that I planted on my property, either in compost
piles, wood chip piles, or buried logs. I also eat the coprinus comatus
that comes out in numbers in my lawn in the Fall. No mistaking that one
either, even though this year I had a nice bloom of angel destroyer (a
deadly one) right next to the coprinus.

Old 29-09-2006, 01:05 AM posted to alt.nature.mushrooms,rec.gardens,rec.food.cooking,sci.misc

wrote:
The "Hen of the woods" .

How about Cock in the bush? hehe

Sheldon