Old 27-09-2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Why does my asian pear (20 century) bloom in september?

I purchased an asian pear (20 century) from my local nursery here in
Dallas, TX
area two months ago. I noticed the tree started blooming around early
september,
now (late september) I have observed several little fruits on the tree.
How this happens?
According to the folks at the nursery, plus other internet sources, all
asian pears
including 20-century suppose to start blooming in early sprint?

Now we are about 2 months away from winter, what would happen to those
fruits?
are they going to survive the cold weather?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Old 28-09-2006, 10:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Plants occasionally "get confused" and bloom in the wrong season, especially
if there's a temperature sequence that seems to tell the plant it's the
right season for flowering. Sometimes, too, plants that aren't "doing well"
will bloom out of season -- apparently the urge to leave your genes behind
before departing for the compost pile can be quite strong. And then
sometimes, they just follow the first rule of experimental biology:
"under the most carefully controlled conditions, biological material
does what it d*** well pleases." g

Chances are the fruits set now won't make it. If you think the plant
may be struggling a bit, you might want to de-fruit it now, in hopes
it'll do better next spring.

Kay

Old 28-09-2006, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi!

Sounds like your tree was shocked into blooming. A guess, but perhaps
the nursery received the tree from a third party in a cooler climate or
did not take good care of the tree while it was in their nursery yard?
Near to me here in Maryland is a stand of wild pear which are now
blooming. They were probably shocked by the heat and drought which
only broke recently. Some spring blooming magnolias aound here also
will bloom out of season because of stress.

Likely the your pear fruit will not make it over the winter. In fact
it might be a good idea to pull those fruits in order to keep the tree
from expending energy on producing fruit rather than going into
seasonal dormancy.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
ps.com...
I purchased an asian pear (20 century) from my local nursery here in
Dallas, TX
area two months ago. I noticed the tree started blooming around early
september,

Wit global warming Dallas has moved the the Southern hemisphere

now (late september) I have observed several little fruits on the tree.
How this happens?
According to the folks at the nursery, plus other internet sources, all
asian pears
including 20-century suppose to start blooming in early sprint?

You tree is confused, it will probably straighten out next year

Now we are about 2 months away from winter, what would happen to those
fruits?
are they going to survive the cold weather?

Probably not

David