Old 29-09-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Best Size Arborvitae to Plant

Hi All,

I am looking to plant a new Emerald Arborvitae hedge next spring and am
wondering which would be better to purchase, the 2 or 3 year-old
transplants. I have heard that because they are younger after a couple
of years the 2 year do at least as well as the larger 3 year. Plus,
they cost less. Any thoughts, experience with this?

Thanks much,

Mike

Old 29-09-2006, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

I am looking to plant a new Emerald Arborvitae hedge next spring and am
wondering which would be better to purchase, the 2 or 3 year-old
transplants. I have heard that because they are younger after a couple
of years the 2 year do at least as well as the larger 3 year. Plus,
they cost less. Any thoughts, experience with this?

Thanks much,

Mike

I don't mean to dodge the question, but does it snow where you live? Heavy,
wet snow sometimes?

Old 29-09-2006, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

I don't mean to dodge the question, but does it snow where you live? Heavy,
wet snow sometimes?

Yes, but not frequently. Maybe 2-3 times per year.

Old 29-09-2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...

I don't mean to dodge the question, but does it snow where you live?
Heavy,
wet snow sometimes?

Yes, but not frequently. Maybe 2-3 times per year.

OK. I asked because the tall, slim arborvitae don't always hold up well with
heavy snow on their branches. It's not so much that they break, but they
assume new shapes that are difficult or impossible to correct. Sort of like
some people's hair when they first get out of bed.

Old 29-09-2006, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com
Hi All,

I am looking to plant a new Emerald Arborvitae hedge next
spring
and am wondering which would be better to purchase, the 2 or 3
year-old transplants. I have heard that because they are
younger
after a couple of years the 2 year do at least as well as the
larger 3 year. Plus, they cost less. Any thoughts, experience
with this?

Thanks much,

Mike

The snow will be a problem. Here it doesn't snow that much and
Arborvitae get ruined if not tied up.

Spring is a better time to plant.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 30-09-2006, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

The snow will be a problem. Here it doesn't snow that much and
Arborvitae get ruined if not tied up.

Spring is a better time to plant.

Hi Travis and "Joe",

I am just preparing to plant and I need to order them now for spring
planting. I need about 80 or so and the company advised me to place my
order now to get them for spring. Given spring planting here where I
get a heavy snow a few times a year (Rochester, Minnesota Zone 4) what
would be best? Two or three year-old plants?

Thanks much, all!

Mike

Old 30-09-2006, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 30 Sep 2006 07:48:31 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

The snow will be a problem. Here it doesn't snow that much and
Arborvitae get ruined if not tied up.

Spring is a better time to plant.

Hi Travis and "Joe",

I am just preparing to plant and I need to order them now for spring
planting. I need about 80 or so and the company advised me to place my
order now to get them for spring. Given spring planting here where I
get a heavy snow a few times a year (Rochester, Minnesota Zone 4) what
would be best? Two or three year-old plants?

Thanks much, all!

Mike

Is this going to be a hedge? It seems you are determined. So, in
that case the cheapest size they sell is better than a larger plant.
They will establish faster and probably be as large or larger had you
originally planted the larger more expensive trees.
Old 30-09-2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Is this going to be a hedge? It seems you are determined. So, in
that case the cheapest size they sell is better than a larger plant.
They will establish faster and probably be as large or larger had you
originally planted the larger more expensive trees.

Hi,

Yes, this will be a hedge. I will get the smaller plants, then. They
are indeed cheaper and I had heard elsewhere that younger plants will
likely establish more quickly... Thanks a ton.

Mike

Old 30-09-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...

Is this going to be a hedge? It seems you are determined. So, in
that case the cheapest size they sell is better than a larger plant.
They will establish faster and probably be as large or larger had you
originally planted the larger more expensive trees.

Hi,

Yes, this will be a hedge. I will get the smaller plants, then. They
are indeed cheaper and I had heard elsewhere that younger plants will
likely establish more quickly... Thanks a ton.

Mike

You might want to pick up a book on pruning. Arborvitae don't need much, but
I seem to recall reading years ago that there are some tricks by which you
can get them to stay bushy near the ground so the hedge is as opaque as
possible.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com
Is this going to be a hedge? It seems you are determined.
So, in
that case the cheapest size they sell is better than a larger
plant. They will establish faster and probably be as large or
larger had you originally planted the larger more expensive
trees.

Hi,

Yes, this will be a hedge. I will get the smaller plants,
then.
They are indeed cheaper and I had heard elsewhere that younger
plants will likely establish more quickly... Thanks a ton.

Mike

You should wrap twine around them before it snows to hold them
together. It might be better to plant them now so they have all
winter to get established, at least that is the recommended
planting time for trees here.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 01-10-2006, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

You should wrap twine around them before it snows to hold them
together. It might be better to plant them now so they have all
winter to get established, at least that is the recommended
planting time for trees here.

Travis,

I'm out of luck for planting them this year. I won't have my trenches
properly prepared for another few weeks and, besides, nobody has any to
send to zone 4 as far as I know in the fall. Each place I have checked
is spring only. I understand the suggestion, though, as I have planted
almost all my other trees in the fall and they have all done rather
well. Thanks for the thought.

Mike

Old 01-10-2006, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

You might want to pick up a book on pruning. Arborvitae don't need much, but
I seem to recall reading years ago that there are some tricks by which you
can get them to stay bushy near the ground so the hedge is as opaque as
possible.

Good idea not only for this hedge, but for everything else. I still
don't feel comfortable pruning as I always feel like only kind of know
what I am doing. I don't think I've actually killed anything yet, but
I've probably stunted more than my fair share.

Thanks,

Mike

[IMG] code is On

Reactor size VS Tank Size? chaz Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 18-05-2006 02:33 PM
Question about Arborvitae FATJORDY Gardening 4 08-06-2003 10:32 PM
Drooping Arborvitae's bd Gardening 1 02-05-2003 05:08 AM
how to rid spider mites off arborvitae? peter Gardening 2 05-04-2003 12:08 AM
Arborvitae Hedge ' Emerald Green' Phil Gardening 6 19-03-2003 03:20 PM