Old 08-11-2006, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mole murdering

In article ,
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Rick F. wrote:

In article .com,
raycruzer wrote:

or grid of some sort deep enough to block the depth of mole tunnels.
Perhaps someone may contribute their knowledge on the maximum depth of
mole tunnels?

I've ready 6-8' (yes -- FEET).. That would be some mighty expensive hole
digging if you ask me!

Wouldn't guarantee freedom from moles anyway - they can move across the
top of the soil (though reluctantly it seems).

Carl

We have found that they like straight lines. So a naturalized planting
may be more difficult for the moles. However I always thought it was
the voles that used the mole tunnels that damaged the larger scrubs and
young trees.
I wrap my "special plants " with gutter guards. Six inch fencing
buried 5 inches. I've a lot of metal in my garden ) This is not
perfect but seems to help.

Bill in Mole/Vole turf.

Ps The moles are looking for worms and grubs. My garden is loaded with
worms and grubs due to lots of organic matter. Win some loose some.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 09-11-2006, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Perhaps another approach may be to guard your flowerbed with an
underground layer of thick wire screens perhaps with 1/2" squares. To
do this you will have to initially dig out your critical area about one
foot deep and lay the wire screen across the bottom and around the
sides making a complete box under ground.

Of course, some moles may be able to chomp through this wire, but
thicker wires are also available.

Has anyone tried something like this?

---
Raycruzer
weeder
weed twister

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Old 09-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Registered User

In my limited experience of killing moles I have found that traps are the way to go. A few years back I had a mole problem of my own and after tying all kinds of vibration alerts and even cat scent found that the trap worked superbly.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com, "raycruzer" wrote:
Perhaps another approach may be to guard your flowerbed with an
underground layer of thick wire screens perhaps with 1/2" squares. To
do this you will have to initially dig out your critical area about one
foot deep and lay the wire screen across the bottom and around the
sides making a complete box under ground.

Of course, some moles may be able to chomp through this wire, but
thicker wires are also available.

Has anyone tried something like this?

---
Raycruzer
weeder
weed twister

When i plant tulips in the Fall now, i put them in clear plastic pots with
small drainage holes in it and bury the pot in the ground with about an inch
of the pot sticking out above the ground.Haven`t lost any more tulips to moles
with this method.I have tried everything to get rid of the moles including my
cat who was a good catcher for a few years, but i think she is retired from
hunting now.I will try that Blackhole trap soon.Rick
Old 10-11-2006, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Rick Yerke wrote:

[...]

Moles are not interested in vegetation. They feed on invertebrates with
about 70% of their diet being earthworms. The may disturb plants/sod
with tunnels/hills, but won't eat them. Gophers (I dunno about voles?)
are vegetarians.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

[IMG] code is On

Mole murdering moleyguy United Kingdom 1 11-05-2007 01:50 PM
mole, vole smitty48 Edible Gardening 1 26-10-2003 01:32 AM
mole,vole, ? CaringIsTheFirstStep Edible Gardening 2 15-03-2003 10:20 PM
Mole lairs: 4-5' deep? richard holmes Gardening 12 13-03-2003 03:44 PM
Mole deterrants tulip United Kingdom 17 17-11-2002 02:23 PM