Old 05-02-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default wood ash - ?

remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure it's one or
the other

been burning some old logs too big to shred

more to the point, should I dig it into the veg patch or not?

thanks all

Old 05-02-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure it's one

or

They're alkaline - just think in terms of how our pioneers made soap.
Frank

Old 06-02-2007, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:45:11 -0000, "Oxymel of Squill"
wrote:

remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure it's one or
the other

been burning some old logs too big to shred

more to the point, should I dig it into the veg patch or not?

Alkaline and loaded with micronutrients. If your veggie soil is
acidic then spread it instead of lime. If your soil is alkaline then
do not add to the problem.

John
Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure it's one

or
the other

been burning some old logs too big to shred

more to the point, should I dig it into the veg patch or not?

thanks all

alkaline, does a similar job to lime it seems but takes approx 2 times the
amount of ash as it does lime to achieve same results according to info you
come across online. It does apparently act a lot quicker than lime however
and can cause quite a dramatic shift in ph if used heavily.

It was used by our dads and granddads to add potassium to soil. It also adds
some phosphorous. Can be added to compost or to garden beds or probably even
as a side dressing with plants, acid loving plants probably not though and
maybe when the soil is damp and some rain is expected.

Exactly when to add is something I wonder about sometimes. Obviously periods
when potassium is lacking in plants is an ideal time, whenever that may be
for you. If dug in before planting I am not sure how long the P & K will
last in the soil, I have been told it will leach quite quickly. You may need
to research that to ascertain when it can be applied for maximum benefit.

rob

Old 06-02-2007, 09:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

"frank.logullo" wrote in message

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure it's one

or

They're alkaline - just think in terms of how our pioneers made soap.
Frank

aha, you're one up on me, I'm in England, don't have any pioneers

Old 06-02-2007, 01:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in
reenews.net:

"frank.logullo" wrote in message

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure
it's one

or

They're alkaline - just think in terms of how our pioneers made soap.
Frank

aha, you're one up on me, I'm in England, don't have any pioneers

How about soap?

It's the same recipe, brought to here from there.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 6, 4:49 am, "Oxymel of Squill" wrote:
"frank.logullo" wrote in message

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
freenews.net...
remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure it's one

or

They're alkaline - just think in terms of how our pioneers made soap.
Frank

aha, you're one up on me, I'm in England, don't have any pioneers

Extract of wood ashes boiled with animal fat. Thank goodness you are
not French, otherwise I would need to define soap
Frank

Old 06-02-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 6, 5:39 am, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

It leaches out very fast. so there would be little point applying it
to an empty bed in winter. Store it dry till spring/early summer. The
best use I found, is to lay a circle of dry woodash around the stems of
cabbage, corn, tomato and lettuce seedlings immediately after planting
out. Slugs won't cross the barrier of dry ash. Meanwhile the plants are
getting a dose of potash. For the same reason, it's good to lay an ash
circle round clematis stems just as new growth starts in spring.

Mostly my experience too. Note that leaching will depend on organic
content, and
also P will probably not leach at all. In all-compost beds, one
application in
march is enough, as their pH (at least my beds) has been altered long
term.
One good rain is enough to soak it in. The other micronutrients
are just as valuable as K. Typical content is several percent K, few
percent P,
50% Ca, several percent Mg, and subpercent Cu, Zn, B, Mn, and other
micronutrients which I have forgotten. pH is 10.4.

Virtually all green vegetables except chicory, in my
experience, like a side dressing or two before and during the season.
That includes
bok choi, lettuce, cabbage, collard, kale, peas, string beans, chard,
beets,
and also carrots, parsnips, tomatoes, melons, squash, garlic and
onions.

Woodash is also a good spring tonic to soft-fruit bushes, like
curants an gooseberries.

but most definitely not for raspberries or blueberries. It will kill
blueberries in fact.

Janet

Old 06-02-2007, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in
oups.com:

On Feb 6, 4:49 am, "Oxymel of Squill" wrote:
"frank.logullo" wrote in message

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
freenews.net...
remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure
it's one
or

They're alkaline - just think in terms of how our pioneers made
soap. Frank

aha, you're one up on me, I'm in England, don't have any pioneers

Extract of wood ashes boiled with animal fat.

It has been theorized that it was first discovered at sacrificial (human
and/or animal) altars where fat and wood ash mixed accidentally.

Thank goodness you are
not French, otherwise I would need to define soap

Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 5, 12:45?pm, "Oxymel of Squill" wrote:
remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure it's one or
the other

been burning some old logs too big to shred

more to the point, should I dig it into the veg patch or not?

thanks all

"Though ashes do contain significant amounts of potash, they contain
little phosphate and no nitrogen. Since one of the leading minerals in
my area's soil(NJ) is potash you normally do not need more. Due to the
fine structure of wood ashes, it seems that the material would have
little value as a soil conditioning agent. Also, weathered wood ash
has practically no fertilizing or liming value. However, one possible
use for ashes would be as an addition to compost. Compost is normally
acidic and the ashes would help neutralize the pH. N-P-K is 0-1-5."

Old 07-02-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
reenews.net...
remind me, it's acidic isn't it, or is it alkaline? I'm 50% sure it's one
or the other

been burning some old logs too big to shred

more to the point, should I dig it into the veg patch or not?

thanks all

I spread thin layer all over the lawn and garden places.