Old 19-04-2003, 04:32 AM
BiG Orange

Default Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki'

I bought one of the Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki' a couple of weeks ago to
plant in our garden and must say I am very happy with it. We were actually
looking for another graphed type willow on a standard and stumbled across
this. Has anyone else had any experience with them? It seems to be growing
well and the pink shoots are beautiful! I thought it was a little pricey @
89.99 but it was a good specimen with a nice straight standard.

I know it's a little late, but does anyone have any comments on this plant?
(good or bad)

B.O.

Old 19-04-2003, 09:44 AM
paghat

In article , "BiG Orange" @ wrote:

I bought one of the Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki' a couple of weeks ago to
plant in our garden and must say I am very happy with it. We were actually
looking for another graphed type willow on a standard and stumbled across
this. Has anyone else had any experience with them? It seems to be growing
well and the pink shoots are beautiful! I thought it was a little pricey @
89.99 but it was a good specimen with a nice straight standard.

I know it's a little late, but does anyone have any comments on this plant?
(good or bad)

B.O.

I put up a webpage for mine:
http://www.paghat.com/hishiki.html
I quite enjoy it, as it has extravagant color-changes through the seasons
so is very interesting to observe. Yet I have never thought it quite
"held" a location as a showpiece by itself. So mine has a ninebark & an
ironclad rhody as nearby companions, & I recently added a Viburnum
sargentiana "Onondaga". As this grouping ages they make a nice mixed
texture.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 19-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Iris Cohen

We were actually looking for another grafted type willow on a standard and
stumbled across this. Has anyone else had any experience with them?
I thought it was a little pricey @ 89.99 but it was a good specimen with a
nice straight standard.

If you bought a grafted specimen, you paid the whole $90 for the grafting. I
have it as a natural bush, which someone gave me for nothing. In Zone 5 it is
very enthusiastic. It is listed as growing 6 feet tall & across, but has
ambitions to grow bigger. I need to prune it severely to keep it in line. It
has no pests & is a nice shrub if you want a big one. It is only variegated in
the spring. It is solid green in hot weather.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 19-04-2003, 10:56 PM
BiG Orange

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
If you bought a grafted specimen, you paid the whole $90 for the grafting.

have it as a natural bush, which someone gave me for nothing.

I am not you, and I don't know anyone in these parts giving them away, so I
don't think the whole 90.00 was for grafting. You are correct, the bushes
are usually 6.99-12.99, but around here nobody sells them, much less gives
them away.

Old 19-04-2003, 10:56 PM
BiG Orange

I put up a webpage for mine:
http://www.paghat.com/hishiki.html
I quite enjoy it, as it has extravagant color-changes through the seasons
so is very interesting to observe. Yet I have never thought it quite

I ran across your page while I was researching. That's how I figured out
they have them without being on a standard like a tree.