Old 09-10-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Where to plant a Salix Integra "Hakuro-nishiki"

Hi,

I've bought a Salix to plant in our front garden (about 5~6m from the front
of the house), and a colleague has said that Salix are part of the Willow
family and should not be planted near buildings. I've Had a good Google and
I cant find anything about planting the Salix away from buildings.

If it makes any difference, the Salix in question is about 2m tall, and has
been "topiarised" so that the leaves form a 1m diameter ball at the top of a
thin trunk.

Can anyone advise?

thanks

Chris

Old 09-10-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Styles" wrote in message
Hi,

I've bought a Salix to plant in our front garden (about 5~6m from the

front
of the house), and a colleague has said that Salix are part of the Willow
family and should not be planted near buildings. I've Had a good Google

and
I cant find anything about planting the Salix away from buildings.

If it makes any difference, the Salix in question is about 2m tall, and

has
been "topiarised" so that the leaves form a 1m diameter ball at the top of

thin trunk.

Can anyone advise?

thanks

Chris

Salix is simply the species (horticultural Latin) name for willow.

http://www.bluestem.ca/willows-invasiveness.htm

Ones to avoid include Salix alba (White willow),
Salix fragilis (Crack willow), Salix babylonica
(Weeping willow), Salix nigra (Black willow) and
the others that become large shrubs.

The list on the left of that page should indicate
how large your own variety is likely to get.

michael adams

Old 09-10-2006, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"michael adams" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the link.

It appears that our one will grow to about 2m (so it is already full size!)
It;s rootball is currently about 3' in diameter (from the pot it was grown
in. I assume it will grow out further.

Does it sound safe to have a 2m shrub 6m from a house? I have heard
statistics that some trees roots extend 3 times the height, but it seems
unlikely that a small shrub would cause any trouble at 6m fomr the house.

Sorry for the newbie question..

Thanks

Chris

Old 09-10-2006, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Sorry, I should have checked the link myself.

There shouldn't be any problem there, as a 2m shrub will only ever
need to extract a relatively small amount of moisture from the soil
in any case. Basically moisture is constantly evaporating from
the leaves during the day which is what draws water in through the
roots, to maintain a continuous column of water. Compared with a large
tree, the amount a 2m shrub will require is very samll. There's no
harm in giving it a good watering in dry spells in any case.

michael adams

Old 09-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

If your worried, put a root barrier in when planting, dig a trench around 2m away from the tree, dig about .75m and line the trench with sturdy plastic sheet, this will stop the roots as there are no small holes for them to go thru.
__________________
Carrot Cruncher.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Styles" wrote in message
Hi,

I've bought a Salix to plant in our front garden (about 5~6m from the
front of the house), and a colleague has said that Salix are part of the
Willow family and should not be planted near buildings. I've Had a good
Google and I cant find anything about planting the Salix away from
buildings.

If it makes any difference, the Salix in question is about 2m tall, and
has been "topiarised" so that the leaves form a 1m diameter ball at the
top of a thin trunk.

Can anyone advise?

thanks

Chris

Salix is the Latin name for the willow family. If you have the label right
this one shouldn't get too much bigger. AFAIK the problem with willows over
other trees is that they are particularly water loving and tend to break
into the sewers and drainage generally :-( . If you don't have a sewer drain
or land drain in the vicinity I would think you would be alright with this
one as it probably won't get huge

HTH

Gill M

Old 09-10-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Gill Matthews writes

Salix is the Latin name for the willow family.

Ahem! ;-)

Salicaceae is the latin name for the Willow family. Salix is the name of
one of the genera (willows) in that family.

--
Kay
Old 09-10-2006, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

michael adams writes

"Chris Styles" wrote in message

Salix is simply the species (horticultural Latin) name for willow.

You meant generic name, didn't you? ;-)

'nigra' or 'alba' is the species name.

--
Kay