Old 26-04-2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,atl.home,repairs

Default Roundup or Weed B gone or...?

Portland Oregon area.

I need to kill a lot of weeds in a 24' x 16 ' rectangular bed quickly
and then replant by
15 May with both seed plant seeds and starter plants.

Vecause of illness last fall, I didn't get te weed fabric covering on,
so I have more weeds
than I can shake a stick at.

These are going to be veggies.

After the weeds are killed, 'll shoveling on 62 Cu. Ft. of composted
grass clippings and dried
brown leaves that have been "cooking" for about 4 - 5 years.

The compost and the dead weeds will be rotilled in before new plants are
introduced.

Weed B Gone?

Roundup?

Other ideas?

(Don't say hand weed. Not an option. Remnants of heart issues fom last
fall.)

TIA.
Old 26-04-2007, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,atl.home,repairs

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Weed-Be-Gone will only kill broad leafed weeds it will not kill grass so
if you have grass also use Round-Up.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 26-04-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,atl.home,repairs

[...]

No chemical has ever or will ever be tested for safety in humans. Hire a
neighborhood kid to hand weed the area. Or, your heart may end up being the
least of your troubles. If you don't know any kids to ask, call the nearest
high school and find out if they have a way of connecting kids who want jobs
with people offering work.

Old 26-04-2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,atl.home,repairs

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
Portland Oregon area.

I need to kill a lot of weeds in a 24' x 16 ' rectangular bed quickly
and then replant by
15 May with both seed plant seeds and starter plants.

Vecause of illness last fall, I didn't get te weed fabric covering on,
so I have more weeds
than I can shake a stick at.

These are going to be veggies.

After the weeds are killed, 'll shoveling on 62 Cu. Ft. of composted
grass clippings and dried
brown leaves that have been "cooking" for about 4 - 5 years.

The compost and the dead weeds will be rotilled in before new plants are
introduced.

Weed B Gone?

Roundup?

Roundup (active ingredient glyphosate) is a complete
herbicide. It kills, or is intended to kill,
everything to which you apply it.

Weed-B-Gon from Ortho is intended to kill weeds in
lawns while not harming the grass. Its active
ingredient (Triclopyr) is a selective systemic
herbicide that affects woody and broadleaf plants.

You can find probably more information that you ever
wanted on both of the chemicals at the Extoxnet site:
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/glyphosa.htm (for
glyphosate) and
http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/triclopy.htm (for triclopyr).

Old 26-04-2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repairs

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

Assuming the ground is not compacted too bad, I would spray it with
Round-Up, plant my garden *without* tilling, and use the compost for
mulch. 62 cubic feet sounds like a lot, but it will cover your area a
little less than 2 inches.

I wouldn't till it because that will awaken dormant weed seeds that are
just waiting for the ground to be disturbed. Let the earthworms till it
for you. (or till it next year after you've gardened it for a year and
kept it weeded by hand)

Bob

Old 26-04-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens,atl.home,repairs

I have used www.craigslist.org to find help with odd jobs.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 26-04-2007, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repairs

zxcvbob wrote:
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

[...]

Its not, it was tilled back last October, bu never got the cover down.
Soil is still real wet as is typical of our springs.
I used to add 4 fifty pound sand sacks each year too help drainage, and
aid the compost in
breaking up the clay, but that may not be an option this year.

The three 10 gallon buckets of ash from the wood stoves over a winter's
heating season
are already out there.

I would spray it with
Round-Up, plant my garden *without* tilling, and use the compost for
mulch. 62 cubic feet sounds like a lot, but it will cover your area a
little less than 2 inches.

The compost operation is three 4' x 4 ' x 4' chicken wire bins, rotated
and tossed a lot.
Its amazing how full one looks when its all "cooked" and ready, and how
little there is when it is spread.

I wouldn't till it because that will awaken dormant weed seeds that are
just waiting for the ground to be disturbed. Let the earthworms till it
for you. (or till it next year after you've gardened it for a year and
kept it weeded by hand)

Both the garden plot and the compost are teaming with worms. I like worms.
(Neighbors think I'm wierd.)

If the grand kids were here (Oregon) instead of Virginia, they'd be
learning that
the "funnest" use of worms is fishingn not farming.

My concern re the Roundup is that as I understand it it is not a soil
sterilant, and
thats the way I want it to be, i.e. kill the crap and not sterilize the
soil.

G*dda*n morning glory blows in from across back fence neighbor's yard
and I hate it,
hate it, hate it, do you hear!

(Did I tell you some eighbors think I'm wierd?) BFG

Thanks for ideas.

Bob

Old 27-04-2007, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:47:53 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

snipped early discussion
[...]

You are dealing with 3 different situations and looking for one
solution. It does not exist.

Roundup will kill all growing vegetation, regardless of weed, grass or
veggie.

Weed-B-Gone will kill all broadleaf growing vegetation but will not
affect grasses.

Neither of those will affect ungerminated weed seeds in the ground
waiting their time. You need a pre-emergent herbicide (Dacthol or
Dactrinol for instance) to do that but it will also kill any veggie
seeds that you plant for the next month or so.

So, you makes your choices and pays your price.

Be sure to read the label of whatever you choose and follow its
instructions to the letter. Do that and there is little danger to
those who consume the produce contrary to the beliefs of those who
consume insect larvae in their veggies and fruits.

John
Old 27-04-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

John Bachman wrote:

SNIPS

Nice post. Thanks.

I'm not worried about ungerminated weed seeds.

Those I can deal with on an ongoing basis.

Do that and there is little danger to
those who consume the produce contrary to the beliefs of those who
consume insect larvae in their veggies and fruits.

ROTFLMAO.

So true.

Good comment.

John

Old 27-04-2007, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

John Bachman expounded:

Do that and there is little danger to
those who consume the produce contrary to the beliefs of those who
consume insect larvae in their veggies and fruits.

While I don't have insect larvae in any of my veggies or fruit
(contrary to your misinformation) I'd rather eat them than produce
doused in chemicals.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 27-04-2007, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No chemical has ever or will ever be tested for safety in humans. Hire a

If you mean humans used as pesticide "test animals" sure they have.
Several not too distant studies are around on different products. EPA
had quit accepting such data only as recent as 1998 for regulatory
purposes on pesticides. So it's ethical to admit such studies on
chemicals used as pharmaceuticals which may only effect a small part of
the population and unethical for the same type of studies on another
chemical that by it's usage may effect a much larger percentage of the
population because it is called a pesticide.

Lar
Old 27-04-2007, 02:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:
John Bachman expounded:

Do that and there is little danger to
those who consume the produce contrary to the beliefs of those who
consume insect larvae in their veggies and fruits.

While I don't have insect larvae in any of my veggies or fruit
(contrary to your misinformation) I'd rather eat them than produce
doused in chemicals.

It's a matter of degree, doncha think?

Bob
Old 27-04-2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Ann wrote:
John Bachman expounded:

Do that and there is little danger to
those who consume the produce contrary to the beliefs of those who
consume insect larvae in their veggies and fruits.

While I don't have insect larvae in any of my veggies or fruit
(contrary to your misinformation) I'd rather eat them than produce
doused in chemicals.

It's a matter of degree, doncha think?

Bob

To some extent, yes. One reason we grow vegetables at home is because we can
control what chemicals, if any, are used. We have no such control with
vegetables we buy at the grocery store, unless we buy organic. But, even
though we can choose what to spray, we have no reliable information on the
safety of the chemicals, and we never will.

Old 28-04-2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:59:00 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Ann wrote:
John Bachman expounded:

Do that and there is little danger to
those who consume the produce contrary to the beliefs of those who
consume insect larvae in their veggies and fruits.

While I don't have insect larvae in any of my veggies or fruit
(contrary to your misinformation) I'd rather eat them than produce
doused in chemicals.

It's a matter of degree, doncha think?

Absolutely. I know what I do on my property. I am trained and
licensed to apply controlled substances and follow all of the rules
(READ THE LABEL).

That is very different from what happens on a commercial farm where
the owner is dependent upon the hired help doing the right thing. My
experience is that farmers want their workers to do the right thing
but that may or may not happen. On my place (and I sell some of my
produce) it is done by the book because I am the guy doing it.

On the other side are the organic Islamists who believe that their way
is the only way and every one else should be killed. BS.

I raise quality products using IPM methods and am proud of what I do
and will not accept unreasonable criticism form the organic Islamists.

John

Old 28-04-2007, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
John Bachman wrote:

organic Islamists

???? This is incredibly offensive. You must be one of those inorganic
Falwell-Robertson peckerwoods. Childish isn't it? Let's converse like
adults.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)