Old 30-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Best balcony pelargonium & bizzie lizzies

Having just been to Bavaria on holiday, I fell for the gorgeous baskets of
red pelargoniums at every window.

I understand that there is a particular variety of 'balcon' ivy-leaved pel
that is specially well adapted for this use, but there seem to be several
named varieties on sale.

Any recommendations? Roi des Balcons sounds appropriate, but is he the
best?

I've also been thinking about putting some bizzie lizzie baskets on the
north-facing wall of my house, but most types seem to have a very rounded
growth habit.

Are trailing bizzie lizzies available?

Victoria
Old 30-10-2003, 08:02 PM

.205...
:
: I understand that there is a particular variety of 'balcon' ivy-leaved pel
: that is specially well adapted for this use, but there seem to be several
: named varieties on sale.
:
: Any recommendations? Roi des Balcons sounds appropriate, but is he the
: best?
:
: I've also been thinking about putting some bizzie lizzie baskets on the
: north-facing wall of my house, but most types seem to have a very rounded
: growth habit.
:
: Are trailing bizzie lizzies available?
:
: Victoria

I haven't seen any trailing ones but I had some common or garden ones in a
basket this year - just them and nothing else and they did well and were
very much admired. You can, of course, get the New Guinea hybrids with
large blooms and dark leaves and the double ones - can't remember what they
are called - that look almost like a miniature rose. Also you could use
them with something else that trails. Just a thought.

Old 31-10-2003, 10:32 AM
Victoria Clare

"K" wrote in
:

: Are trailing bizzie lizzies available?
:

I haven't seen any trailing ones but I had some common or garden ones
in a basket this year - just them and nothing else and they did well
and were very much admired. You can, of course, get the New Guinea
hybrids with large blooms and dark leaves and the double ones - can't
remember what they are called - that look almost like a miniature
rose. Also you could use them with something else that trails. Just
a thought.

Hmm, yes, maybe that's the way to go - round bunches of colour at the top,
and something like that little trailing variagated nepeta below to give
some height.

Thanks!

Victoria
Old 31-10-2003, 11:03 AM

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.10...
: "K" wrote in
: :
:
[...]

Yes, there seem to be a large variety of trailing things available for
summer baskets, but I was looking for something to trail over a tall pot on
my front doorstep to go with winter pansies, and the only thing I could come
up with was variegated ivy. Nice, but I fancied something different.