Old 14-05-2007, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Redbud [Tree] Rebound

I live in north Florida. Late last Fall, I planted a small (4-5 foot
tall) Redbud tree. This Spring when everything else stated leafing
out this Redbud did nothing. Even its branches at the top were
brittle and would snap right off. Despite this I kept up the regular
waterings, but finally after a couple more weeks I decided it was time
to replace it. Just as I was about to dig it up, I noticed some small
leaves poking out from the trunk near ground level so I decided to let
it go a little longer. Now, almost a month later I have:

- Small branches near ground level growing out of the [original]
trunk.
- Three shoots coming up from out of the ground _right_ next to the
trunk.

The branches coming out of the trunk are now about a foot long.
The shoots coming up from out the ground are about 2 foot
tall.

There are no leaves/branches forming any higher on the original trunk
than about a foot from the ground -- The rest of the tree is
completely bare.

Should I let this thing grow? Will it form into a real tree? Should
I just cut down the shoots?
Or should I put it completely out of its misery and chop the whole
thing down?

What do you say?

Patrick

[IMG] code is On

They're back! American elms are on the rebound (Land Steward Column) Earl Gardening 1 19-03-2005 02:59 PM
My Redbud Tree died, why? Kevin Gardening 8 23-05-2003 12:32 AM
Trim a new redbud tree whit Texas 6 17-05-2003 02:56 AM
Redbud tree in full sun ok? animaux Gardening 2 30-04-2003 12:20 AM
Redbud question spampot Gardening 4 20-04-2003 05:44 PM