Old 12-05-2003, 03:08 PM
whit

Default Trim a new redbud tree

Howdy, our new redbud tree is doing quite nicely, it's about 4' tall and
has lots of new leaves. But it has a branch that is weighing down the
top causing it to droop. I'd like to trim this one branch off, but I
don't want to do it any harm or have it sprout a dozen new branches from
near the cut.

It's been in the ground about a month, can I trim it now or should I
wait?

Thanx
Old 12-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Victor M. Martinez

whit .*ork wrote:
It's been in the ground about a month, can I trim it now or should I
wait?

I'd leave it alone. If you must prune, wait until January.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 12-05-2003, 06:20 PM
whit

OK, what do you think about staking it up high to try to persuade it to
grow a little straighter?

Thanks

Old 12-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

whit .*ork wrote:
OK, what do you think about staking it up high to try to persuade it to
grow a little straighter?

It's a redbud, not a pine. It will straighten itself, give it time.

Old 13-05-2003, 12:44 AM
animaux

This top heavy feature is common for redbud saplings. I didn't prune mine till
it was in the ground for a few years. I kept it limbed up, but never top a
tree. In other words, if a central leader is not doing what you want, find
another leader and train that. Patience...

Old 13-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Terry Horton

On Mon, 12 May 2003 14:38:38 GMT, whit .*ork wrote:

Howdy, our new redbud tree is doing quite nicely, it's about 4' tall and
has lots of new leaves. But it has a branch that is weighing down the
top causing it to droop. I'd like to trim this one branch off, but I
don't want to do it any harm or have it sprout a dozen new branches from
near the cut.

It's been in the ground about a month, can I trim it now or should I
wait?

Are we talking a 50lb. branch on a 4ft. whip? :-) If not, definitely
wait. I generally don't prune new trees for the first 3 years, and
then only sparingly (prune redbuds immediately after they bloom).

Lots of science, more than a little art, and a touch of zen in
pruning.