Old 24-05-2007, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rust on roses

Sigh. Seems like every year, when it starts to get toward summer,
I get serious rust on my roses. I pick off the affected leaves, but
is there anything I can use that will nip the problem in the bud g

Preferably as kind as possible to the environment.

TIA
Old 24-05-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:47:20 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Sigh. Seems like every year, when it starts to get toward summer,
I get serious rust on my roses. I pick off the affected leaves, but
is there anything I can use that will nip the problem in the bud g

Preferably as kind as possible to the environment.

TIA

Sounds like "black spot," a fungus that attacks roses, peonies, and
other plants. Increase the circulation so that the leaves do not
remain wet for long periods of time. You can thin out some canes to
improve circulation. Buy fungus-resistant roses. You can use a
fungicide (Ortho makes a product for roses) every week to prevent it,
but to be effective you must start using the product as soon as the
spring leaves appear. Fungicides are toxic, so you might consider
other methods of control.
Old 24-05-2007, 08:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 May 2007 01:38:29 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:47:20 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Sigh. Seems like every year, when it starts to get toward summer,
I get serious rust on my roses. I pick off the affected leaves, but
is there anything I can use that will nip the problem in the bud g

Preferably as kind as possible to the environment.

TIA

Sounds like "black spot," a fungus that attacks roses, peonies, and
other plants. Increase the circulation so that the leaves do not
remain wet for long periods of time. You can thin out some canes to
improve circulation. Buy fungus-resistant roses. You can use a
fungicide (Ortho makes a product for roses) every week to prevent it,
but to be effective you must start using the product as soon as the
spring leaves appear. Fungicides are toxic, so you might consider
other methods of control.

That's what I asked about -- other methods of control.

Anybody?

Persephone
Old 24-05-2007, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Persephone wrote in message
[...]

Wettable sulfur?

Anybody?

Persephone

Old 24-05-2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 May 2007 01:38:29 GMT, Phisherman wrote:
Buy fungus-resistant roses.

Oh merciless, persnickety, subterranean majesty, as Will Rogers
said."Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and
hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it."

Of course, the silver lining to existential angst is that adversity
builds character. Not that you need to be more of a character than you
already are.

And of course you must have already looked at
http://www.ehow.com/how_9356_control-rust-roses.html

Then there is the flame-thrower approach (I mean "weed burner"), then
you could rise like a phoenix. Unfortunately, that would put you at
cross-purposes to your present mythical manifestation.

So how 'bout a nice cry and a box of chocolates? or was that rhubarb pie?

- Bill

Old 24-05-2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Manelli Family"
wrote:

[...]

I read here to apply corn meal about your rose's. I did last year and
to be honest so no difference. But I gave it to all my roses about 12
and I used about 5 lb corn meal. All my roses are doing well this year .

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 24-05-2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 May 2007 08:28:44 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

On Thu, 24 May 2007 01:38:29 GMT, Phisherman wrote:
Buy fungus-resistant roses.

Oh merciless, persnickety, subterranean majesty, as Will Rogers
said."Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and
hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it."

Of course, the silver lining to existential angst is that adversity
builds character. Not that you need to be more of a character than you
already are.

Blush...

And of course you must have already looked at
http://www.ehow.com/how_9356_control-rust-roses.html

My bad! I should have checked out the Web before posting.
There are some good hints at the site and links.

However, my "justification" is that from this NG I would get
actual experience, perhaps some of it unorthodox but efficacious.

Then there is the flame-thrower approach (I mean "weed burner"), then
you could rise like a phoenix. Unfortunately, that would put you at
cross-purposes to your present mythical manifestation.

So how 'bout a nice cry and a box of chocolates? or was that rhubarb pie?

Given the choice, definitely chocolates. No crying; what does that
solve?

- Bill

Old 24-05-2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

However, my "justification" is that from this NG I would get
actual experience, perhaps some of it unorthodox but efficacious.

But you did say anybody. You were expecting Luther Burbank maybe?

Good luck,
- Bill

Old 26-05-2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 23, 4:47 pm, Persephone wrote:
Sigh. Seems like every year, when it starts to get toward summer,
I get serious rust on my roses. I pick off the affected leaves, but
is there anything I can use that will nip the problem in the bud g

Preferably as kind as possible to the environment.

TIA

Hi Perse
We don't get much rust up here,
but I had one rose that got it every spring.
It was Dainty Bess.......
Removing leaves helped, but eventually
I tossed her out; no time for spraying etc.
Get rust resistant roses.
Manelli Family is correct-- wettable sulfur,
but don't apply if temp is over 80 degrees.

Emilie
NorCal

Old 27-05-2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 25 May 2007 21:09:32 -0700, mleblanca wrote:

On May 23, 4:47 pm, Persephone wrote:
Sigh. Seems like every year, when it starts to get toward summer,
I get serious rust on my roses. I pick off the affected leaves, but
is there anything I can use that will nip the problem in the bud g

Preferably as kind as possible to the environment.

TIA

Hi Perse
We don't get much rust up here,
but I had one rose that got it every spring.
It was Dainty Bess.......
Removing leaves helped, but eventually
I tossed her out; no time for spraying etc.
Get rust resistant roses.
Manelli Family is correct-- wettable sulfur,
but don't apply if temp is over 80 degrees.

Emilie
NorCal

Thanks to all who replied, esp. wettable sulfur.
I had honestly never heard of it, so am eager
to attack the annual rust with this new tool.

Onward!

Persephone

[IMG] code is On

Rust on Roses Luke Australia 0 06-10-2004 07:27 AM
Roses and rust problem news.corp.hp.com Gardening 0 19-05-2003 04:08 PM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM
BALD HIP ROSES AKA. DWARF ROSES (Rosa gymnocarpa) nwforestmagic Roses 1 14-03-2003 03:44 AM
Roses where other roses have been Newbie Gardener United Kingdom 11 12-03-2003 09:00 PM