Old 26-05-2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Need help identifying shrubs

From northeastern Texas....

Once upon a time they were carefully trimmed shrubs or hedges around this
house before I bought it. But the house sat empty with little attention for
a couple of years. Now they are trying to take over the yard, and I need to
research ways to get rid of most of them.

Can anyone tell me what kind of growth this is:

http://pages.suddenlink.net/ken/brush.jpg

Some have little buds, other don't. Otherwise they seem to be the same.

Old 26-05-2007, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ken123 wrote:
From northeastern Texas....

Once upon a time they were carefully trimmed shrubs or hedges around this
house before I bought it. But the house sat empty with little attention for
a couple of years. Now they are trying to take over the yard, and I need to
research ways to get rid of most of them.

Can anyone tell me what kind of growth this is:

http://pages.suddenlink.net/ken/brush.jpg

Some have little buds, other don't. Otherwise they seem to be the same.

Looks like some sort of crepe myrtle of which there are probably 50
different varieties. Compare the leaves in this picture
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/lain8.htm to yours and see what you
think.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 26-05-2007, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

"John McGaw" wrote in message
Ken123 wrote:
From northeastern Texas....

Once upon a time they were carefully trimmed shrubs or hedges around this
house before I bought it. But the house sat empty with little attention
for
a couple of years. Now they are trying to take over the yard, and I need
research ways to get rid of most of them.

Can anyone tell me what kind of growth this is:

http://pages.suddenlink.net/ken/brush.jpg

Some have little buds, other don't. Otherwise they seem to be the same.

Looks like some sort of crepe myrtle of which there are probably 50
different varieties. Compare the leaves in this picture
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/lain8.htm to yours and see what you
think.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
http://johnmcgaw.com

That might be it...strong resemblance.

Old 28-05-2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Definitely looks like crepe myrtle. We have dozens of them around here.
When they bloom, they can be white, red-ish, pink, or purple. They grow
pretty fast also.
-Rae in NC

"Ken123" wrote in message

"John McGaw" wrote in message
Ken123 wrote:
From northeastern Texas....

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Need bush/shrubbery help-Shrubs butchered!! spbowers Gardening 7 26-05-2006 10:14 AM
Need Help Identifying Plant Help Please CAZ Gardening 2 08-07-2004 12:03 AM
identifying shrubs J.L. Thomas Lawns 0 17-05-2004 06:10 AM
Battling Algae - Need help identifying RifRaf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:11 AM
Need help identifying weird fish DesertPond Ponds 5 03-04-2003 03:56 AM