Old 29-05-2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default kids in the garden.....

Here's one for all you gardeners:

A lighter story with no chemicals involved!! (joke, although i do love reading those debates!)

Had the kids out in the garden with me this morning. As we were re-planting, watering, and trying to salvage what damage had been done by the goats, I was explaining to my 2yr old how the garden would grow all his favorite things to eat. He loves salad, cukes, tomatos, peppers (of any flavor!), watermelons, and most of things kids these days hate to eat. I guess I used the wrong words saying that it would grow ALL his favorite things, and he quickly picked up on that. I should have said all his favorite veggies & some of his fav fruits. Next thing I know he was asking me if he could grow some fried chicken, french fries, pretzels, chips, pickles, and pizza too. I explained that I would make pickles from the cukes, and french fries & chips could be made from the potatos. Then told him about the fried chicken and the chickens in the yard. But could not make him understand about the pizza. Told him that mommy would use the tomatos to make the pizza sauce, but that the pepperoni, crust & cheese just couldn't be grown in the garden. He's still determined that he's gonna grow a pizza...............oh well, there is only so much you can explain to a 2yr old I guess. At least nothing else was said about the pretzels.
Old 29-05-2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:39:06 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"
wrote:

Here's one for all you gardeners:

A lighter story with no chemicals involved!! (joke, although i do love reading those debates!)

snip of cute story

Thanks. I remember similar happenings with my own kids and now with
grandson (and look forward to the same with the two unborn grands)

Isn't it great how youngsters love eating fresh goodies from the garden
and developing their palates on good food? Somewhere around here I
have pics of them wandering the garden gnawing on assorted produce.

Keep it up, Mom, you are doing a wonderful thing.

I am *sure* the debates will continue! :-)

Charlie
Old 29-05-2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

My youngest was 7 years old and wanted to plant lettuce. I gave him the seeds and he planted them. They grew quite nicely but he was so disappointed they didn't grow in heads. I had leaf lettuce and never mentioned it. I told him he hadn't read the instructions well. He was supposed to lay 2 lengths of thread in a criss-cross fashion and tie the seed inside, than plant it. He was 14 when I told him the truth.

--

BetsyB