Old 03-06-2007, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Q: What besides plants and mulch do you have in your garden?

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

That took me a minute. Never had any interest in that "culture".

And no reason too. Smoking anything is bad for your lungs. It's just
that I haven't always been as level headed as I am today.

- Billy
Old 03-06-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

That took me a minute. Never had any interest in that "culture".

And no reason too. Smoking anything is bad for your lungs. It's just
that I haven't always been as level headed as I am today.

- Billy

Besides, that was two lifetimes ago. Since then, I've been a teacher
and, a business man. Right now, I'm honing my skills as a dilettante.

- Billy
Old 04-06-2007, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:17:18 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

That took me a minute. Never had any interest in that "culture".

And no reason too. Smoking anything is bad for your lungs. It's just
that I haven't always been as level headed as I am today.

- Billy

Besides, that was two lifetimes ago. Since then, I've been a teacher
and, a business man. Right now, I'm honing my skills as a dilettante.

That is a flat contradiction in terms. A dilettante does not "hone
skills" or do anything but flit carefree from fun gig to fun gig.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Persephone
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:17:18 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

That took me a minute. Never had any interest in that "culture".

And no reason too. Smoking anything is bad for your lungs. It's just
that I haven't always been as level headed as I am today.

- Billy

Besides, that was two lifetimes ago. Since then, I've been a teacher
and, a business man. Right now, I'm honing my skills as a dilettante.

That is a flat contradiction in terms. A dilettante does not "hone
skills" or do anything but flit carefree from fun gig to fun gig.

So you have a problem with me being a professional layperson. Or is that
lieperson, hmmm?

Oh, you and my brother. When anybody asks when I'm going to retire, he
rolls his eyes and says,"From what?" But if you ever get a chance to
work in a winery tasting room, take it. Of course you'll have to take
the standard vows of poverty but, you get to spend the day with people
who are having fun. Life is too short.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that my life has the ability to expand
to take up all of the time available. Then there are those times when I
work 14 hr.s/day, 6 days/week. It's particularly nice to be free at this
time of the year to get the garden in.

Ideally, every day should have its' own name.

Unfortunately "What ever goes up, must come down. But that's not my
problem", said Werner von Braun.

Time to barbeque.

a tout a l'heure,

- Billy (my brother Jimmy, always calls me Billy)
Old 04-06-2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Do weeds count?

Old 04-06-2007, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:12:50 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Hey! I remember 1969 - I was a mere ten year old but I read the paper every
day and not just the comics.

How to put this tactfully? It's because you were reading the papers and
not rolling them. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more.

I was in the Haight and people were trying to find a way to live that
made sense. Meanwhile, over in Berkeley, students were trying to work
inside the system. We both got creamed. Guys walking up and down the
sidewalks wearing the same suits, the same shoes, same sun glasses and,
with the same camera strapped around their necks. What we need now are
new Church and Rockefeller sub-committees that put a spotlight on the
abuses (CIA assassinations, collaboration with the Mafia, discrediting
by illegal means political and civil rights leaders, ad nauseam) and
shoved the monster back into the bottle. You don't really have to
remember 1969 because "it's baaack".

1969 is back, but who the hell is noticing? Yet alone responding?

Some of us are, and a lot of our young are getting involved.

Take to the streets and get *really* hosed this go around. No media
coverage, no help, no nothing... think WTO summits. Standing in the
free speech zones wiht no media coverage is an outrage.

what we need and what we are going to get are two different things,
BIlly.

*They* beat hell out of us, yet we won, it was a pyrrhic
victory.........but *they* learned from the experience.

Too many of *us* joined up with *them* and effing forgot about it.

Sold out, most of our generation did.

Feh
CHarlie
Old 04-06-2007, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:12:50 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

The "Battle in Seattle". "The Rock in Rostock". Some people know what
the multinationals have in mind for us. Thank god not all of us are
going down easily. If you get a chance throw yourself in the gears or at
least, throw you wooden shoes n the gears. We are on our way back to the
"Middle Ages" but, with high tech weaponry.

- Billy
Old 04-06-2007, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:27:34 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:12:50 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Whoa bro.......your trigger finger is fast!

You got it right....it's our nature....the old scorpion and frog thing.

Keep on keepin' on
Charlie
Old 04-06-2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Besides, that was two lifetimes ago. Since then, I've been a teacher
and, a business man. Right now, I'm honing my skills as a dilettante.

That is a flat contradiction in terms. A dilettante does not "hone
skills" or do anything but flit carefree from fun gig to fun gig.

A big ole negatory on that. Dilettantes do hone skills. Just not very
completely, and across a lot of venues. Gigs don't always come in the
fun variety, but mileage varies on that. Flitting, also, is a matter of
choice.

--
John McWilliams

Old 04-06-2007, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Besides, that was two lifetimes ago. Since then, I've been a teacher
and, a business man. Right now, I'm honing my skills as a dilettante.

That is a flat contradiction in terms. A dilettante does not "hone
skills" or do anything but flit carefree from fun gig to fun gig.

A big ole negatory on that. Dilettantes do hone skills. Just not very
completely, and across a lot of venues. Gigs don't always come in the
fun variety, but mileage varies on that. Flitting, also, is a matter of
choice.

I think the idea of a generalist dove tails with the dilettante. So a
dilettante generalist may happen upon something of interest and devote
their lives to it. If we don't dabble we never know yet .......... Best
path is yours I hope.

Bricks walkways
Slight curve
No transgression of evil spirits I read

Last straight line in nature
Witnessed
In little league.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 04-06-2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 6/3/07 8:53 PM, in article ,
"Persephone" Persephone wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:17:18 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

That took me a minute. Never had any interest in that "culture".

And no reason too. Smoking anything is bad for your lungs. It's just
that I haven't always been as level headed as I am today.

- Billy

Besides, that was two lifetimes ago. Since then, I've been a teacher
and, a business man. Right now, I'm honing my skills as a dilettante.

That is a flat contradiction in terms. A dilettante does not "hone
skills" or do anything but flit carefree from fun gig to fun gig.

But I like the image. Flit to the tea shop, then the garden center to the
book store to the needle work store to the....

Then from garden bed to the new book and back to the garden....
Bill - are you a butterfly?

dreaming that I am a man.

In this dream, I am bound by the same laws of physics as everyone else.
Yesterday one of my cats ate a butterfly. But like the guy who is
hanging on to a root, sticking out of the side of a cliff, with lions
above him and wolves below him, if I see a strawberry, I hope I grab it
and, eat it.

- Billy
Old 04-06-2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:12:50 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

If'n it were my fingers, they would be wrapped around a petanque ball
and a cool one. None of my fingers were made for triggers.

- Bill
Old 04-06-2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/4/07 1:40 PM, in article
, "Billy

wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:12:50 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Not even the spray trigger of the hose to squirt a passing child? I do it
all the time!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Whoa bro.......your trigger finger is fast!

You got it right....it's our nature....the old scorpion and frog thing.

Keep on keepin' on
Charlie

If'n it were my fingers, they would be wrapped around a petanque ball
and a cool one. None of my fingers were made for triggers.

- Bill

Not even the spray trigger of the hose to squirt a passing child? I do it
all the time!

Well . . . I have been known to hose down a biker and his damn straight
pipes. They make more noise than a freakin' semi. Thing with getting old
is that it affects your judgement. Where once you'd have held your piece
suddenly, you're ol' alligator mouth. But kids? You bad woman. Nah, I'm
not down with hosing down kids unless it is a very hot day and they
agree. I got me one of them motion detection sprinklers to keep the
"Hounds from Hell" from romping around in the lettuce patch. I always
forget when I turn it on. It's the last thing on my mind when I head for
the tools and, wham. Like I say, not bad on a hot day but we be putting
together a string of foggy morning and, just, comfortable afternoons.

When the kids come back and TP your garden, you'd best laugh with them
because you had it comin';-)
- Bill