Old 02-06-2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Update on my Garden

Hi folks!

It's been a while since I tuned into this newsgroup. I have different
web access now and it took a while to get the newsgroups thing set up.

I first started reading and posting here three years ago when we had
just moved into our new home and faced a "lawn" that was 99% crabgrass
and a "garden" that was almost entirely shaded rock.

Thanks to the wonderful advice I got here, I now have a beautiful lawn
and a perennial garden that is even nicer than what I was hoping for,
despite it being even shadier than before, and without any soil deeper
than 8 inches.

This spring I've put together a gallery that shows how my garden is
developing from week to week as the gardening year goes by. This is
strictly for fun and to get some use out of my new digital camera. It
has no ads and never will have.

Keeping visual records this way is really helping me see exactly how and
with what speed, the garden transforms as the season passes. I'm hoping
that keeping the whole year's worth of records will help me design the
plantings better, so that I don't bunch all the flowering in a narrow
time span.

You're all invited to see the garden pictures. They're at:

http://www.phlaunt.com/jennysgarden

--Jenny (Zone 5a on the MA/VT/NH border)
Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Looks to be a lovely New England garden, Jen!

Ctlady
NW Connecticut

Old 02-06-2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

ctlady wrote:
Looks to be a lovely New England garden, Jen!

Ctlady
NW Connecticut

CTlady,

Thanks! I certainly do have fun with it, though I should have had
someone take a picture of me yesterday afternoon with one eye almost
swollen shut from blackfly bites. That's one part of New England
gardening I could do without.

--Jenny
Old 03-06-2007, 07:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article says...
You're all invited to see the garden pictures. They're at:

http://www.phlaunt.com/jennysgarden

Excellent! Keep adding to your gallery throughout the year and next
year. I guarantee that as you build up these albums, in a couple of
years you'll be looking back at your own albums to see what happened
last year at this time.

BTW: I love that waterfall.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jenny said:

You're all invited to see the garden pictures. They're at:

http://www.phlaunt.com/jennysgarden

Oh, thanks for the picutures of the bluets! I always considered them the
'May flowers' of song when I was a kid in Connecticut. Have seen them
in 40 years, but I remember them well. They always seemed a bit
magical to me...

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-06-2007, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mark,

I'm really looking forward to being able to compare one year to the
next. My feeling is that this year is a bit unusual, because I don't
remember having so many things blooming this early in June.

Have others in New England noted early bloom this year thanks to our
really odd winter? So much is about to bloom now that I'm wondering if
there will be anything left to bloom in July!

The "Waterfall" is a crack in the rock behind our house that drains the
soil above it. It's close enough to the house that I wasn't entirely
happy with it at first since I worried about drainage, but the guy who
did the foundation seems to have done a very good job and even with a 10
inch rainfall a few years ago we have always had a dry basement.

Now I love it, especially now that the forget-me-nots have sown
themselves in the path of the water.
In article says...

Old 03-06-2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pat,

I know exactly what you mean about the bluets!

I grew up in the downtown area of a major city and had never seen
wildflowers until I was in my early 20s and moved to a farm way out in
the country (not far from where I live now.) The bluets enchanted me
and I have loved them ever since.

I'm really thrilled at how many wildflowers have decided to colonize our
land. The builder blasted the rock away to build on it, then put all the
trees he'd removed into a woodchipper and covered everything on the
property but the lawn with literally a foot of coarsely ground mulch. We
ended up paying a crazy amount of money to have the mulch removed and
trucked away as it was infected with artillery fungus and stinkhorns.
When the mulch was removed, all that was left was extremely thin soil
and rocks, rocks, and more rocks. It was UGLY, which is one reason I
didn't take pictures of it before.

We tossed a lot of packets of wildflower seed on the rock last year, but
most of the wild stuff that has moved in seems to be the stuff that
already lives in the neighborhood. I'd found the fairy wings and bluets
on the logging road behind the house last spring.

Old 03-06-2007, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 2, 2:02 pm, Jenny wrote:
[...]

It's been over a year since I've been to this newsgroup because I had
a hard time finder a news server. Then I found Google groups so here I
am again! It was so nice to see the photos of your garden. I love
before and after pictures too so I hope you keep adding to them so we
can see them.

loony

Old 03-06-2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

loonyhiker wrote:
I love
before and after pictures too so I hope you keep adding to them so we
can see them.

I'll most definitely be adding to them throughout the season. The
problem is limiting myself to a reasonable number of pictures.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

During a warm spell in December here in CT, my moutain laurel started
to bloom! I have noticed though that everything this spring is really
lush looking.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 3, 10:10 am, loonyhiker wrote:
On Jun 2, 2:02 pm, Jenny wrote:

[...]

Hi Loony
It has been a long time!
Welcome back
Emilie in Nor Cal

Old 04-06-2007, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 10:10:11 -0700, loonyhiker
wrote:

It's been over a year since I've been to this newsgroup because I had
a hard time finder a news server. Then I found Google groups so here I
am again! It was so nice to see the photos of your garden. I love
before and after pictures too so I hope you keep adding to them so we
can see them.

loony

Oh gawd.....I jest gotta keep de-x-no-archiving to talk to you folks!

Glad you can participate, but google and it's groups kinda......suck
and eff-up the Usenet. "Bout like webtv, but kinda sorta different, if
you know what I mean Verne.

Oh well, never mind me.......i'm just a Usenet dinosaur.....but I am
smelling the end of a really good quiet corner of this here Interweb
thingie.

Carry On, don't mind me,
Charlie

Old 04-06-2007, 05:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 2, 2:02 pm, Jenny wrote:

[...]

Life as it should be.

- Billy
Old 04-06-2007, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Charlie expounded:

Oh gawd.....I jest gotta keep de-x-no-archiving to talk to you folks!

Huh?

Glad you can participate, but google and it's groups kinda......suck
and eff-up the Usenet. "Bout like webtv, but kinda sorta different, if
you know what I mean Verne.

Yea, googlegroups isn't helping anything here on Usenet. I really
wish people would get/use a proper newsreader. But that's
progress....right??!?

Oh well, never mind me.......i'm just a Usenet dinosaur.....but I am
smelling the end of a really good quiet corner of this here Interweb
thingie.

Eh, people have been predicting the end of Usenet ever since I found
it - in 1994. I think it's safe G
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:

Oh well, never mind me.......i'm just a Usenet dinosaur.....but I am
smelling the end of a really good quiet corner of this here Interweb
thingie.

Carry On, don't mind me,
Charlie

I agree. I've been participating in newsgroups since '98. I was on
Compuserve before that. The explosion of blog culture seems to have
killed the interactive board world and many of my favorite groups have
been taken over by people with severe mental problems who are no longer
drowned out by saner voices. sigh This group still seems to have some
life in it. . .