Old 05-06-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Apple Tree From Seed in Mid-Atlantic

I agree that you wont get as good of an apple from a tree from a seed, but
they can still be canned, used as applesauce, and cooked in pies or
cobblers.

I have two in my yard started from seeds, a Fuji and a New Zealand rose. We
did it as an experiment, and both are not 7 to 8 feet tall. They wont
produce for another year or two. We also have a golden delicious and a Fuji
ordered from a catalog.

Your kids will love them, and I am glad Johnny Appleseed didn't have the
attitude that some of us have about starting trees from seeds. You cant do
worse than he did.

Dwayne

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
My wife sowed some apple seeds from a grocery store apple, which
germinated just fine. Would these things do ok in the Mid-Atlantic
region? This was more of an experiment for our young kids, but I am
wondering if these things are viable here.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Dwayne" wrote in
:

Your kids will love them, and I am glad Johnny Appleseed didn't have
the attitude that some of us have about starting trees from seeds.
You cant do worse than he did.

You know he planted apple trees to make applejack, right?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:

John Bachman expounded:

Maybe, but it is most likely that you will not be happy with the
result.

Perhaps not.

Apples are grown on rootstock so that the rootstock
determines the growth habit of the tree and the variety is determined
by what is grafted to the root stock.

Somewhat true. The rootstock determines the size of the tree
heightwise.

When you plant the seeds you get the variety of apple on that trees
rootstock which may not be suitable at all.

This is so far wrong it's incredible.

Are you saying that there is a better chance the resultant apples will taste
good?
What's really incredible is that you believe that.

Growing apples from seeds out of an apple you've eaten is definitely
just a fun experiment. You'll probably not get as good of an apple as
what you've eaten.

We are talking big big odds that you won't get a good tasting apple.

Do it for fun, don't do it because you want to
start an orchard.

Why bother. There is no question that the seed would possibly produce
a tree. You do experiments when you don't know the outcome. If you
want to experiment, try grafting fruit onto a rootstock. At least you have

something useful when the experiment is over. Why not plant a peach seed
where you have a much better chance of success.

Sherwin D.

And definitely don't get your genetics lessons from John!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 05-06-2007, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Dwayne wrote:

I agree that you wont get as good of an apple from a tree from a seed, but
they can still be canned, used as applesauce, and cooked in pies or
cobblers.

I have two in my yard started from seeds, a Fuji and a New Zealand rose. We
did it as an experiment, and both are not 7 to 8 feet tall. They wont
produce for another year or two.

These will be standard size apple trees, so don't expect fruit for several
more years.
Have lot's of sugar on hand for these spitters.

We also have a golden delicious and a Fuji
ordered from a catalog.

Your kids will love them, and I am glad Johnny Appleseed didn't have the
attitude that some of us have about starting trees from seeds. You cant do
worse than he did.

Sure can. Waste your time and efforts. Imagine kids growing up and tasting
these awful fruits and telling their parents "what were you thinking about
when you
planted this?".

Old 05-06-2007, 12:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

sherwindu expounded:

Are you saying that there is a better chance the resultant apples will taste
good?

No, I did not say that. Your rabid resistance to anyone having a bit
of fun growing an apple from seed makes you see it that way, however.

What's really incredible is that you believe that.

No, I don't and once again I never said that I notice you didn't
bother correcting John's ridiculous statement about the seeds being
the result of the rootstock and not the flowering part of the tree.
You go absolutely blind with fury every time anyone brings up trying
to grow an apple from seed. Calm down!

Now why don't you get down off your high horse and stop trying to
convince everyone how stupid they are for trying something for fun?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:

sherwindu expounded:

Are you saying that there is a better chance the resultant apples will taste
good?

No, I did not say that. Your rabid resistance to anyone having a bit
of fun growing an apple from seed makes you see it that way, however.

First of all, I suggest you stop trying to demonize me. I am not the
grinch who stole Christmas. I'm simply trying to dispell the belief that
someone can expect to get a reasonable tasting apple by planting a
tree from a seed. If people think it's fun to plant apple seeds to see if
they
will make an apple tree and wind up with a spitter, be my guest.

What's really incredible is that you believe that.

No, I don't and once again I never said that I notice you didn't
bother correcting John's ridiculous statement about the seeds being
the result of the rootstock and not the flowering part of the tree.
You go absolutely blind with fury every time anyone brings up trying
to grow an apple from seed. Calm down!

I suggest you check your language vs. mine. You are the one who
needs to calm down.

Now why don't you get down off your high horse and stop trying to
convince everyone how stupid they are for trying something for fun?

I guess some people don't like having the facts presented to them.

I would not give a chemistry set to a child if I thought they could
blow themselves up with it. There are many other gardening things
kids can do, which are much more rewarding.

Sherwin D.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

sherwindu expounded:

I suggest you check your language vs. mine. You are the one who
needs to calm down.

Shall I go back and find all of your posts where you rail on about the
subject? Every time it comes up you belittle the inquirer, and it
gets old.

I guess some people don't like having the facts presented to them.

Not the way you present them.

I would not give a chemistry set to a child if I thought they could
blow themselves up with it. There are many other gardening things
kids can do, which are much more rewarding.

Growing an apple from seed is hardly deadly.....see? You're at it
again!
Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sure can. Waste your time and efforts. Imagine kids growing up and tasting
these awful fruits and telling their parents "what were you thinking about
when you
planted this?".

And some how life will still go on....
Old 18-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Registered User

I inheritted an old apple tree 15-20 ft grown from seed from the previous owner and cut it down (due to small UK garden and space shortage) and left the old stump in intending to pour stump killer down holes I had drilled. My young daughter (18) was upset over me cutting it down as it was her favourite and some time later new growth started at the base and I left it. It has now re-grown to a tree about 8-10 ft and the old stump has almost completely rotted away. Will it ever recover fully and re-produce apples. I have not cut it down again out of a respect for its determination to survive but if it is completely useless and will never flower/produce fruit it will have to go. (Daughter is now 30). Any advice.