Old 28-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Ron, KC4YOY

Default Watercrest and Cilantro

I finally found some Watercress and Cilantro at
a new grocery store today.
What's the best way to get it to grow in my veggie
filter and pond?
I now have it just floating loose in the filter,
should I plant it in baskets with pea gravel
or just let it float?

Ron

C.R."Ron"Lawrence KC4YOY
Antique Radio Collector & Historian
NCI-5445

POBox 3015
Matthews, NC 28106-3015
704-289-1166 (home)

Radio Collection Web Page,
http://www.radioheaven.homestead.com
Clough-Brengle equipment web page
http://CloughBrengle.homestead.com
CC-AWA Web Page,
http://www.cc-awa.org

Old 28-04-2004, 02:07 AM
joe

I don't think the cilantro you buy at a grocery store will root - let us
know if it does though. They sell it at nurseries in the herb section.

Throw the watercress in the stream part of your pond loose, or put a small
pebble on it to keep it in place. Watercress likes moving water.

Joe

Old 28-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Ka30P

I once had this wonderful setup for watercress.
I bought some florescent light grid at the home supply store. I had my husband
cut it to fit in the 150 gallon stock tank filter (upflow to waterfall). I
spray painted it black.
Then I bought a case of watercress from my grocer. (A case was ten bunches).
I put one or a couple stems (depending on the size of the stem) into each
square of the grid.
I floated the grid in the water of the stock tank.
It flourished!!
Grew over a foot tall and flowered.
Then one of the watergardening labradors got in the stock tank, walked on it
and cracked it all to pieces.
Haven't gotten around to redoing it but should have this spring with the
accidental emptying of the pond and 3,000 new water algae bloom.

kathy :-)
Old 28-04-2004, 03:05 AM
Nedra

Kathy, I'm so glad you posted this! I remember when you
planted all the watercress.... seems like only yesterday ;-)
I'll have to try it out this summer - only thing is the water
in my veggie filter doesn't really flow that fast. Guess I'll
redesign the grid and put it in the output of the waterfall -
hummm ... now I'm rethinking this plan too! chuckle
The Never finished pond....

Nedra

Old 28-04-2004, 03:07 AM
Heather

Hi Kathy:

When purchasing watercress is it necessary to get a bunch with roots or will
it root on it's own?

Thanks,
Heather

Old 28-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Pond Newbie

I used the "BV method" of planting pond plants (refer to post on planting in the
"Anacharis" thread) on four new bunches of watercress. The first two didn't do so well, I
believe because they were too close to the side, where there is little current, over the
'bog' channel.

The new ones looked very perky by the time I'd finished the beer....

lol

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

Old 28-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Ka30P

Heather wrote When purchasing watercress is it necessary to get a bunch with
roots or will
it root on it's own?

The roots will grow on their own. In fact if you put it in upside down the leaf
section will grow roots!

kathy :-)
Old 28-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Bonnie

Ron, KC4YOY wrote:
I finally found some Watercress and Cilantro at
a new grocery store today.
What's the best way to get it to grow in my veggie
filter and pond?
I now have it just floating loose in the filter,
should I plant it in baskets with pea gravel
or just let it float?

Ron

When I put mine in I just put it into a slotted basket (no
gravel) so that it doesn't wash into the pond (the fish will
eat it). When the roots develop I move it where ever I want
it or just leave it in the basket.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 28-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ron, KC4YOY" wrote in message
. com...
I finally found some Watercress and Cilantro at
a new grocery store today.
What's the best way to get it to grow in my veggie
filter and pond?
I now have it just floating loose in the filter,
should I plant it in baskets with pea gravel
or just let it float?

snip

Last year I just tossed the watercress from the grocery store into the pond.
It rooted just fine, even better when I moved it to my stream. This year we
tried cilantro, using my standard extend arm, drop, drink beer planting
method. It did nothing, and the fish avoided it.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 28-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Pond Newbie" wrote in message
I used the "BV method" of planting pond plants (refer to post on planting

in the
"Anacharis" thread) on four new bunches of watercress. The first two

didn't do so well, I
believe because they were too close to the side, where there is little

current, over the
'bog' channel.

The new ones looked very perky by the time I'd finished the beer....

lol

DeAnna

snip

I may not know how much salt to add to a pond, but my patented extend arm,
drop plant, drink beer method of planting is always successful.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 28-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Mike Patterson

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:04:58 -0400, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

"Pond Newbie" wrote in message
I used the "BV method" of planting pond plants (refer to post on planting

in the
"Anacharis" thread) on four new bunches of watercress. The first two

didn't do so well, I
believe because they were too close to the side, where there is little

current, over the
'bog' channel.

The new ones looked very perky by the time I'd finished the beer....

lol

DeAnna

snip

I may not know how much salt to add to a pond, but my patented extend arm,
drop plant, drink beer method of planting is always successful.

Waitaminit- "patented"?

Damn, how much do I owe you? I planted 6 Water Hyacinths using this
method a few weeks back, and a whole bag of watercress. I hope you
don't license by the plant...

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old 28-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Hank

I planted my watercress at night so nobody could see. That way I don't
have to pay royalties to B.V. ;-}

--
some photos of my little puddle
http://community.webshots.com/user/hankpage1
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

. com...

Old 29-04-2004, 05:04 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Our watercress filled a 5' kiddie pool beofre the heat slowed it down. The
root system was 10'' deep. Grabbed all the muck floating through and drew
huge amounts of nutrients out by its growth. The remnants are still in our
U-shaped falls. Good growth still after two years of just being on its own.
We don't fill a pool with it because of the summer die-back. The water
celery also has GREAT root systems. The parrots feather is less effective
with roots and grows slower. Bonnie, thanks for the starter celery. We
have already tossed two bushels this season. Mors soon.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

. com...

Old 29-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Hank" wrote in message
I planted my watercress at night so nobody could see. That way I don't
have to pay royalties to B.V. ;-}

snip

Just don't leave any beer bottles laying around as evidence.

--
BV.
Alcoholic, Orange Ponder

Old 30-04-2004, 01:08 AM
Mike Patterson

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 08:44:20 -0400, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

"Hank" wrote in message
I planted my watercress at night so nobody could see. That way I don't
have to pay royalties to B.V. ;-}

snip

Just don't leave any beer bottles laying around as evidence.

Hey BV, what part of the world do you inhabit?

Next time I'm out that way I'll buy you some planting supplies.

I live near ATL, but get out & about quite a bit. Next stop is
Seattle.

Tomatoes and Cilantro Moe Jones Lawns 0 17-04-2008 04:31 PM
Question about Chives and Cilantro KOS Gardening 7 01-07-2007 02:57 PM
heat resistant parsley, dill, and cilantro cell phone repair Gardening 0 26-10-2003 04:42 AM
basil and cilantro Rona Yuthasastrakosol Edible Gardening 25 24-07-2003 06:02 AM
Cilantro Snowfeet1 Gardening 4 10-02-2003 09:25 PM