Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 AM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens,soc.culture.indian
RPS RPS is offline

Default Help: Best lawn sprinkler for city life?

If you have experience with different types of lawn/garden sprinklers,
please help a newbie here!

Which is the best lawn sprinkler for city life? We have a normal
Chicago backyard with a walkway in the middle. Also front lawns and
parkways, again with a sidewalk and walkway right there. This creates
tight spaces.

Frankly, I don't care about a few dollars. I really want the best, that
will last and let me control watering.

If you can suggest specific brands and models that would be great. For
stores, I only know Home Depot and Menard, so if they are not right,
please suggest the stores as well. THANKS!
Old 04-07-2007, 01:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 05:11:56 -0500, RPS wrote:

If you have experience with different types of lawn/garden sprinklers,
please help a newbie here!

Which is the best lawn sprinkler for city life? We have a normal
Chicago backyard with a walkway in the middle. Also front lawns and
parkways, again with a sidewalk and walkway right there. This creates
tight spaces.

Frankly, I don't care about a few dollars. I really want the best, that
will last and let me control watering.

If you can suggest specific brands and models that would be great. For
stores, I only know Home Depot and Menard, so if they are not right,
please suggest the stores as well. THANKS!

The most expensive is rarely the best. I returned dozens of
sprinklers and got a Craftsman for $10. It has worked perfectly for
many years.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:29 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens,soc.culture.indian

On Jul 4, 6:11?am, RPS wrote:
If you have experience with different types of lawn/garden sprinklers,
please help a newbie here!

Which is the best lawn sprinkler for city life? We have a normal
Chicago backyard with a walkway in the middle. Also front lawns and
parkways, again with a sidewalk and walkway right there. This creates
tight spaces.

Frankly, I don't care about a few dollars. I really want the best, that
will last and let me control watering.

If you can suggest specific brands and models that would be great. For
stores, I only know Home Depot and Menard, so if they are not right,
please suggest the stores as well. THANKS!

Nothing else comes close for long lasting simplicity:

http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Poppy-M...555633&sr=8-37

Old 04-07-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

install a sprinkler system. it takes time, but it will be automatic.
be sure to install a water sensor which overrides watering when there
is enough moisture. Ingrid
Old 04-07-2007, 06:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

dr-shitforbrains wrote:
install a sprinkler system. it takes time, but it will be automatic.
be sure to install a water sensor which overrides watering when there
is enough moisture.

It takes $$$ too.

It's a small *existing* urban yard, you expect someone to hack it all
to hell just to install a couple three sprinkler heads, and you
haven't a clue what's growing there.... all that's needed is a $10
sprinkler and a small length of hose.... you don't even know how to
quote, how would you ever know how to turn a hose bib valve, let alone
install an entire automatic sprinkler system, through concrete no less.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

dr-shitforbrains wrote:
install a sprinkler system. it takes time, but it will be automatic.
be sure to install a water sensor which overrides watering when there
is enough moisture.

It takes $$$ too.

It's a small *existing* urban yard, you expect someone to hack it all
to hell just to install a couple three sprinkler heads, and you
haven't a clue what's growing there.... all that's needed is a $10
sprinkler and a small length of hose.... you don't even know how to
quote, how would you ever know how to turn a hose bib valve, let alone
install an entire automatic sprinkler system, through concrete no less.

Don't suppose you'd like to explain the posturing and invective here,
would you?
--
Billy
Old 04-07-2007, 07:37 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens,soc.culture.indian
RPS RPS is offline

Sheldon wrote:

: Nothing else comes close for long lasting simplicity:
:
: http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Poppy-M...00002N6A0/ref=
: sr_1_37/002-9734269-1795251?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1183555633&sr=8-37

Thanks. However, is whirling type suitable for tight spaces?

Do you have any experience with these (oscillating types from Nelson,
Melnor, Gardenia, and Gilmour):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_rs_1/...e=UTF8&search-
alias=tools&field-keywords=oscillator%20lawn%20garden%20sprinklers

or the following fountain type (though it has 8 settings):

http://www.amazon.com/LR-Nelson-8-Pa...dp/B0000BYC6C/
ref=sr_1_1/102-4830807-3392908?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1183573851&sr=1-1

Appreciate all feedback.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
RPS RPS is offline

wrote:

: install a sprinkler system. it takes time, but it will be automatic.
: be sure to install a water sensor which overrides watering when there
: is enough moisture. Ingrid

In the long run perhaps. Our yards is evolving and something like that
will make more sense when we are ready for final landscaping.

Right now we are only looking for one or two portable devices. We need
to cover the back yard, front lawns and parkways (little patch of grass
between the street and the sidewalk). In any event we'll always need a
small portable sprinkler for the parkway because we cannot install
anything permanent there even if we wanted to.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:18 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens,soc.culture.indian

RPS wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

: Nothing else comes close for long lasting simplicity:
:
: http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Poppy-M...00002N6A0/ref=
: sr_1_37/002-9734269-1795251?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1183555633&sr=8-37

Thanks. However, is whirling type suitable for tight spaces?

Do you have any experience with these (oscillating types from Nelson,
Melnor, Gardenia, and Gilmour):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_rs_1/...e=UTF8&search-
alias=tools&field-keywords=oscillator%20lawn%20garden%20sprinklers

or the following fountain type (though it has 8 settings):

http://www.amazon.com/LR-Nelson-8-Pa...dp/B0000BYC6C/
ref=sr_1_1/102-4830807-3392908?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1183573851&sr=1-1

Appreciate all feedback.

My favorite. I've never seen one of these in a garage
sale or in the trash.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NELSON-LAWN-TRACTOR-SPRINKLER-SWEEEEET-RIDE-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ140133282431QQihZ004QQcategoryZ20 542QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-07-2007, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:37:44 GMT, RPS wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

: Nothing else comes close for long lasting simplicity:
:
: http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Poppy-M...00002N6A0/ref=
: sr_1_37/002-9734269-1795251?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1183555633&sr=8-37

Thanks. However, is whirling type suitable for tight spaces?

A soaker hose (or drip hose) works well in tight places. These are
inexpensive too. I've had bad luck with Melnor, Gardenia and Gilmour.
A "rainbird" kind can shoot in a pie-shape pattern and at a long
distance. A hose timer can reduce water waste and runoff.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:40 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens
RPS RPS is offline

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

: P.S. Why the crosspost to soc.culture.indian?

We are visiting a relative's lake cottage. For some reason, their
laptop is setup to receive s.c.i but many ng's seem difficult. I am no
computer expert, so just a matter of convenience.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
RPS RPS is offline

Phisherman wrote:

: I've had bad luck with Melnor, Gardenia and Gilmour.

Does this mean Nelson was okay?

Also, I remember you have Craftsman. Somehow I have become used to
thinking in terms of Home Depot and Menards, probably because they are
nearer, but Sears is a classic store for such stuff and I wouldn't mind
going there.

BTW, are there any reviews on sprinklers? Consumer Reports reviews all
sort of stuff but I couldn't find sprinklers.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"RPS" wrote in message
Phisherman wrote:

: I've had bad luck with Melnor, Gardenia and Gilmour.

Does this mean Nelson was okay?

I have found the metal Nelson oscillating sprinkler to be the best. It's
well made and efficient. Also, I snapped the hose end off once ( its only
weak spot), called the manufacturer because they were sold out everywhere,
and they shipped a new one for free, without proof of purchase or sending
the old one back..

Old 04-07-2007, 10:58 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens,soc.culture.indian

:http://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Poppy-M...kler/dp/B00002...
: sr_1_37/002-9734269-1795251?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1183555633&sr=8-37

Thanks. However, is whirling type suitable for tight spaces?

Do you have any experience with these (oscillating types from Nelson,
Melnor, Gardenia, and Gilmour):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_rs_1/...e=UTF8&search-
alias=tools&field-keywords=oscillator%20lawn%20garden%20sprinklers

or the following fountain type (though it has 8 settings):

http://www.amazon.com/LR-Nelson-8-Pa...dp/B0000BYC6C/
ref=sr_1_1/102-4830807-3392908?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1183573851&sr=1-1

Appreciate all feedback.

I own two of those Nelson sprinklers, I've used them for more than 20
years. I don't use them as much as I did where I lived last (was a
much smaller yard then) but I still use them for spot watering my
newly planted trees here during dry spells. I've owned and used other
sprinklers, these are the only ones that last. Btw, the Poppy
sprinkles a rectangular pattern... you can't see it in the picture but
that center hub has slits that also distribute water so along with the
water from the arms it makes the rectangle. You can easily adjust the
size of the spray by adjusting the water flow. For the circumstance
you describe a couple of these is your best choice, they'll work front
and back. And Nelson is a high quality brand. For $10 and free
shipping from Amazon you can't lose. The only added advice I can
offer is to get full value from these sprinklers (any sprinklers
really) they need to be placed so they are level... but sometimes if
the lay of your land is such you may want to tip the sprinkler too,
then you can water a larger area on one side of a walk and a smaller
area on the other side, so in some ways this type sprinkler is more
versatile than those automatic system heads. I had a fully automated
8 zone system at my last house but still there were plenty of times I
used these to supplement, because it can be a pain to switch the
system between auto and manual.... nine times out of ten you'll forget
to switch it back, and if you mess with the time duration you can
really screw up the works, adn even worse when you need to water a
different pattern. So even with the most high tech auto sprinkler
system an old fashioned manual sprinkler is very often the best
choice.

If you look really carefully on the ground near the foundation just to
the right of my hose reel you can see one of my Poppy sprinklers...
sorry, I don't have a better pic: http://i8.tinypic.com/6glzm94.jpg

And I leave those sprinklers out 24/7 all year, can't kill them...
just every so often I change the hose connection washer, costs a whole
penny.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:02 PM posted to chi.general,rec.gardens

On Jul 4, 3:40 pm, RPS wrote:

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

: P.S. Why the crosspost to soc.culture.indian?

We are visiting a relative's lake cottage. For some reason, their
laptop is setup to receive s.c.i but many ng's seem difficult. I am no
computer expert, so just a matter of convenience.

RPS
you're not too adept at anything are you

--
relax - i'm just ****in' with you