Old 07-07-2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Raccoons

Hi,

Any suggestions how we can keep a motther raccoon and her three babies out
of our yards and garbage containers?

Thanks.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Carol Gravelle" wrote in message
Hi,

Any suggestions how we can keep a motther raccoon and her three babies out
of our yards and garbage containers?

Thanks.

Out of your garbage: Use bungee cords over the lids to the handles.

Out of your yard: There's this newfangled invention called a fence. Not
perfected quiet yet, but you might be able to find someone in your area who
will install one, on an experimental basis. Raccoons are great climbers,
though.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
ron ron is offline

Carol Gravelle wrote:
Hi,

Any suggestions how we can keep a motther raccoon and her three babies out
of our yards and garbage containers?

Thanks.

Where I come from the solution is a 12ga. shotgun,
a good coon dog,
and a big flashlight with fresh batteries.
If that's not an option in your area ,trap them in a live trap and
release them in the wild as far away from your house as you can get ,
but check with your Fish and Game Department first for the legalities
of doing so.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Carol Gravelle wrote:

: Any suggestions how we can keep a motther raccoon and her three
: babies out of our yards and garbage containers?

Keep food, and food smells inaccessible to them. Platic bag your
garbage tightly, keep the garbage can tightly closed. If they are
merely exploring, they'll go away once they learn there is no
possibility of food here.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"ron" wrote in message
ups.com...

Carol Gravelle wrote:
Hi,

Any suggestions how we can keep a motther raccoon and her three babies
out
of our yards and garbage containers?

Thanks.

Where I come from the solution is a 12ga. shotgun,
a good coon dog,
and a big flashlight with fresh batteries.
If that's not an option in your area ,trap them in a live trap and
release them in the wild as far away from your house as you can get ,
but check with your Fish and Game Department first for the legalities
of doing so.

Yeah, but then you have a worse problem: A dog.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Any suggestions how we can keep a motther raccoon and her three babies out
of our yards and garbage containers?

Get a better garbage container. The standard metal one with the tight
fitting lid[1] might be enough. I don't think raccoons require the
heavy duty ones like this:
http://www.bearproofinc.com/view_ima.../95MRW_400.jpg
(for those who aren't bothering with looking at the image, the web
site name BearProofInc.com should provide a hint).

The raccoons should spend little/less time in your yard with no
garbage to attract them. I'm not sure it would be easy (or necessary)
to exclude them entirely.

[1] http://www.janisan.com/witt/Galvanized.html
Old 07-07-2007, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Yeah, but then you have a worse problem: A dog.

There has to be a Joe and the Dog story in there somewhe-)
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy Rose" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Yeah, but then you have a worse problem: A dog.

There has to be a Joe and the Dog story in there somewhe-)
--
Billy

It's like the sun rising every day. :-)

Old 08-07-2007, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/7/2007 1:37 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Carol Gravelle" wrote in message
Hi,

Any suggestions how we can keep a motther raccoon and her three babies out
of our yards and garbage containers?

Thanks.

Out of your garbage: Use bungee cords over the lids to the handles.

Out of your yard: There's this newfangled invention called a fence. Not
perfected quiet yet, but you might be able to find someone in your area who
will install one, on an experimental basis. Raccoons are great climbers,
though.

My yard is completely fenced and walled. Raccoons still steal my entire
grape crop (two vines).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 08-07-2007, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

My yard is completely fenced and walled. Raccoons still steal my entire
grape crop (two vines).

An idea how many pounds of table grapes that is? If it was wine grapes,
it would be about 80 pounds (.1 barrels).
Old 08-07-2007, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
.. .
On 7/7/2007 1:37 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Carol Gravelle" wrote in message
Hi,

Any suggestions how we can keep a motther raccoon and her three babies
out
of our yards and garbage containers?

Thanks.

Out of your garbage: Use bungee cords over the lids to the handles.

Out of your yard: There's this newfangled invention called a fence. Not
perfected quiet yet, but you might be able to find someone in your area
who
will install one, on an experimental basis. Raccoons are great climbers,
though.

My yard is completely fenced and walled. Raccoons still steal my entire
grape crop (two vines).

The *******s!

I'm dealing this week with deer, who've munched all the buds off one
daylilly. The rest of the daylillies are now caged, which looks ugly as
hell, but at least I'll get to enjoy a few flowers. The deer have also
decimated two sedums, and are poking around the tomatoes, whose leaves they
ate last year. Unfortunately for them, the tomatoes are caged for support,
with another fence wire cage 2 feet outside the main one, prongs bent
outward to cause maximum "education". We shall see.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/7/2007 6:52 PM, Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

My yard is completely fenced and walled. Raccoons still steal my entire
grape crop (two vines).

An idea how many pounds of table grapes that is? If it was wine grapes,
it would be about 80 pounds (.1 barrels).

One vine was 'Perlette', which had about 20 bunches around 5 pounds
each. That's about 100 pounds. The other was 'Black Monukka', about 15
bunches around 3 pounds each. That's another 75 pounds.

The interesting thing about this is that every little stem remained on
the vines. When I eat grapes and pick them off the bunch, I often get
the little stem attached to the grape, which I then have to remove. The
raccoons very cleanly removed each grape without the little stems.

This year, the raccoons (and I) will go hungry. The hill where my grape
vines grew is being repaired. It slipped in the heavy rains of January
2005. All vegitation on the hill had to be removed. My garden is a
mess and will require major work to fix the damage, not from the hill
sliding but from the construction work.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote:

[...]

Sorry to hear about your hill slide. I don't know how you were growing
your grapes but I would recommend an arbor. Typically, with grapes you
let the vine vegetate the first three to four years, picking off any
fruit that tries to set. This puts all the energy into growth. Arrange
table and chairs under the arbor and you have a wonderful spot to
entertain and it gets the fruit up out of the way of the raccoons, cute
lil' fellers that they be.

You may want to throw them an ocassional bone. Having wild life around
you is becoming rarer and rarer as the housing tracts go up.

Good luck:-)