Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Slugs and Snails Advice

SLUGS & SNAILS
http://www.gardennetlinks.co.uk
The UK directory of garden related websites.

If there are two words that strike fear into the hearts of gardeners
and make them drop their spades in sheer terror and rage it is Slugs
and Snails. These odd wet lumps of frog like flesh are good at very
few things, but one thing they do excellently is to eat large chunks
of prize flowers and plants. To the amateur there seems little
difference between the two apart from the fact one has a portable
shelter on its back. Both like damp dark conditions and both have
male
and female bits, so two are not needed to tango. Being
Hermaphrodites,
a lonely waltz does the trick for reproduction.

- Keep your garden tidy, this will reduce the number of shady spots
where they can hide out.
- Place crushed shell, eggshells, used coffee or grit around plants
as
neither like sliming their bodies over it. Most uncomfortable!
- Their favourite tipple is beer, place a beer trap in the garden and
the binge drinkers will flock to it gasping to dive in it and die
happy and drunk.
- If using nasty chemicals, USE SPARINGLY, don't nuke your garden
with
it, think targeted assasination. Sprinkle conservatively around prize
plants.
- In every battle it helps to have allies. Hedgehogs, frogs, toads,
shrews and ground beetles will all help keep snails and slugs at bay,
so encourage them to visit your garden.
- Thrushes will batter the snails shells until they break up, using
their beaks, provide a flat stone so they can do it properly.
Battering them on grass will just give the snails a headache.
- One of the most effective ways to address the problem is a nightime
ambush. Using a torch, just go round and collect them all up and
either squish them underfoot or if you prefer, take your prisoners on
a car journey or walk and leave them in a field a few miles from your
garden, don't discard too close to home as snails tend to have in
built GPS and it won't be long before you hear a slimey "Hi honey,
I'm
home!!!".

Old 10-07-2007, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 9, 1:25?pm, Smiler wrote:

If there are two words that strike fear into the hearts of gardeners
and make them drop their spades in sheer terror and rage it is Slugs
and Snails.

Not if you have these guys... spotted this beauty trecking across my
back yard this afternoon... heading straight for my neighbors garlic:

My neighbor has a neat garden:

Old 10-07-2007, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

On Jul 9, 1:25?pm, Smiler wrote:

If there are two words that strike fear into the hearts of gardeners
and make them drop their spades in sheer terror and rage it is Slugs
and Snails.

Not if you have these guys... spotted this beauty trecking across my
back yard this afternoon... heading straight for my neighbors garlic:

My neighbor has a neat garden:

Those IMG tags are screwing up the URLs for those of us who have real
newsreaders. This is Usenet, not the WWW.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 10-07-2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 9, 9:36?pm, Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

On Jul 9, 1:25?pm, Smiler wrote:

If there are two words that strike fear into the hearts of gardeners
and make them drop their spades in sheer terror and rage it is Slugs
and Snails.

Not if you have these guys... spotted this beauty trecking across my
back yard this afternoon... heading straight for my neighbors garlic:

My neighbor has a neat garden:

Those IMG tags are screwing up the URLs for those of us who have real
newsreaders. This is Usenet, not the WWW.

What an ignoranus remark, you can't access Usenet without logging on
to the net. Those IMG tags have not a whit to do newsreaders. If you
had a REAL computer (instead of that antique with an outdated
operating system) you'd have no problem whatsoever.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

Those IMG tags are screwing up the URLs for those of us who have real
newsreaders. This is Usenet, not the WWW.

What an ignoranus remark, you can't access Usenet without logging on
to the net. Those IMG tags have not a whit to do newsreaders. If you
had a REAL computer (instead of that antique with an outdated
operating system) you'd have no problem whatsoever.

Ann, please don't feed the trolls. I had the same problem with the URLs
but you know this guy. He lives in his own universe.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Old 10-07-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:41:11 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

What an ignoranus remark, you can't access Usenet without logging on
to the net. Those IMG tags have not a whit to do newsreaders. If you
had a REAL computer (instead of that antique with an outdated
operating system) you'd have no problem whatsoever.

Being kinda prickly again, aintcha, Sheldon?

Shows what you don't know about the operations of the interwebs,
internets, usenets and life in general, Mr. Google-Head.

Sorry, Billy......he doesn't read my posts anyway.

I not taking sides for or against anybody in particular here, but I
don't understand what you all are on about. Was there a problem with the
links Sheldon posted? They worked for me. I'm guessing they worked for most.

So what gives?
Old 10-07-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

What an ignoranus remark, you can't access Usenet without logging on
to the net. Those IMG tags have not a whit to do newsreaders. If you
had a REAL computer (instead of that antique with an outdated
operating system) you'd have no problem whatsoever.

Actually, Shelly-boo, if you had any true understanding of how Usenet
worked I'd be impressed. This is a text-only based group, number one,
no picture are supposed to be posted here. Number two is any idiot
like you can access Usenet via Googlegroups and believe that he's a
Usenet Overlord.

Just what makes you such a twit? Were you born that way, or did you
just decide one day to be an idiot?

You haven't got a friggin' clue about Usenet or what I'm using for a
computer.

And yes, Billy, I know, but I had to get in one last blast.

Sheldon's in the bozo file now.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Pennyaline expounded:

I not taking sides for or against anybody in particular here, but I
don't understand what you all are on about. Was there a problem with the
links Sheldon posted? They worked for me. I'm guessing they worked for most.

So what gives?

What give is Shelly-boy thinks just because he accessed this group via
a web browser that he can change the rules and be the king.

Rec.gardens is a text-only based group, no photos are supposed to be
posted here. Many news servers will strip picture posts right out,
others will stop carrying the group if too many photos are posted.

If you want to post a picture do it either by posting a like (without
img tags, which screw up the link) or on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
and tell people here that's where the picture is at.

Googlegroups will access Usenet, but it is most definitely not the
best way to do so.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:
Sheldon typed:

What an ignoranus remark, you can't access Usenet without logging on
to the net. Those IMG tags have not a whit to do newsreaders. If you
had a REAL computer (instead of that antique with an outdated
operating system) you'd have no problem whatsoever.

Actually, Shelly-boo, if you had any true understanding of how Usenet
worked I'd be impressed. This is a text-only based group, number one,
no picture are supposed to be posted here.

I never posted pictures here... posting links to other web sites is
not inserting graphics files... it's perfectly acceptible to post URLs
here (you just don't know how). That your computer even detected
those tagged URLs proves conclusively that you are using an antique
with a grossly outdated operating system... or... you don't even have
a computer, you're stealing the use of your employer's internet time,
many business networked computers allow only minimal connectivity.
Your comprehension of computers is very sad, Ann. Now it's time for
your temper tantrum... make some more threatening, ignorant, and
disparaging remarks, show everyone how stupid and obnoxious you are,
Ann.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:12:43 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

Ann wrote:
Sheldon typed:

[...]

It's not Ann that has shown her "ignor-anus", it is you, once again.

You are pathetic in your attempts, Sheldon. And monumental in your
arrogance.

But I have to admit to enjoy seeing you drop trou in a public forum.

I predict you will drop for Jack ere long. ;-)

Yer Old Buddy
Charlie

Cool, your here too Charlie. Got any more beer? Kind of a shame to think
that some day we might get dementia and end up like ol' Sheldon. I bet
people even liked him once. As you told me, he was pretty sharp in the
past. He shoulda learned about lynchings though, pride goeth before the
fall. Did ja bring an opener? Sure is a crowd.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 11, 1:16 am, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 04:58:39 GMT, Steve wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:52:20 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 04:44:34 GMT, Steve wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:39:25 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

I bet
people even liked him once

I'll take $20.00 against.

WAAAAAAAAHH........thanks, friend.......just ran a good swallow of brew
backwards through me nose........

Charlie

Sorry. Sorta. ;-)
While we're saying thanks, thanks for "Home-Front Ecology".

Yeah....right. Everybody likes to be able to reverse the beer
flow.....on someone else! ;-)

Glad you appreciated the article..sometimes I feel as if I am swatting
balls into the great emptiness.

Nice to meet ya.

Care
Charlie- Hide quoted text -

just because i *groaned* about it this time, doesn't mean i don't
appreciate it either........you know i'm a reader!

rae

Old 13-07-2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Smiler writes:
One of the most effective ways to address the problem is a nightime
ambush. Using a torch, just go round and collect them all up and
either squish them underfoot or if you prefer, take your prisoners on

Please, please, please give a prominent mention to the Leopard Slug,
the good guy among slugs. He (it) is an impressively large carnivorous
slug which eats up the common slugs. Unless gardeners know of this,
they will gleefully stomp on him in the belief he is a pest.

In appearance, the Leopard Slug is light brown-grey with darker
stripes, hence the name. We have it in Australia, I don't know its
country of origin or how widely distributed it is, but to the
gardener it is worth its weight in gold.

The Leopard Slug has one fatal attraction: his athletic physique means
he invariably gets to any snail pellet ahead of the bad guys. :-((
That's one good reason for not using snail bait. If he doesn't take
the bait directly, he'll probably get poisoned when he dines on the
carcass of a slug that did tangle with a pellet.

[IMG] code is On

How to get those snails and slugs? jlr Gardening 3 16-06-2003 06:04 PM
Snails and slugs George D Permaculture 0 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
slugs and snails traps [email protected] United Kingdom 0 18-02-2003 12:06 PM
On Slugs - Slug and snails nuisance ~ rob ~ United Kingdom 0 15-12-2002 01:05 AM
Snails and slugs George D Permaculture 0 29-10-2002 03:27 AM