Old 23-07-2007, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Should I use dynamite?

Three years ago, I had to cut down a 30 year old olive tree. It was all
burled and knurled at the foot of the truck. I must have sprayed the stump
and the regularly appearing shoots with Roundup, at least once a month. I
covered it up with dirt and a big boulder. No luck, the new shoots keep
sprouting out of the old stump.

Any suggestions for bringing about its demise, or do I give up and let this
thing grow into an olive bush?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Old 23-07-2007, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Walter R." wrote:

Three years ago, I had to cut down a 30 year old olive tree. It was all
burled and knurled at the foot of the truck. I must have sprayed the stump
and the regularly appearing shoots with Roundup, at least once a month. I
covered it up with dirt and a big boulder. No luck, the new shoots keep
sprouting out of the old stump.

Any suggestions for bringing about its demise, or do I give up and let this
thing grow into an olive bush?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Israelis have good luck with Palestinian olive groves by bull dozing
them or pulling them out by the roots. Go with the Pros.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 23-07-2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

The olive tree is the toughest tree in the world. It is a tradition in
Spain I think, to beat the trees with a stick to get the olives off. Then
the wounds from the beatings are compartmentalized and great visual barrier
and reaction zones form. They then cut the tree and make coasters out of
the beautiful wood. Try a stump grinder.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 31-07-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 23 Jul, 03:05, "Walter R." wrote:
Three years ago, I had to cut down a 30 year old olive tree. It was all
burled and knurled at the foot of the truck. I must have sprayed the stump
and the regularly appearing shoots with Roundup, at least once a month. I
covered it up with dirt and a big boulder. No luck, the new shoots keep
sprouting out of the old stump.

Any suggestions for bringing about its demise, or do I give up and let this
thing grow into an olive bush?

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

Given the will to live this plant is showing, maybe you should give up
and let it flourish. Besides, olive trees, especially when they form
old and gnarled trunks, are incredibly beautiful.

www.hintongardendesign.co.uk