Old 04-08-2007, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mystery plant

Years ago my friend gave me this small plant and I can't remember what
it was. Then the privet hedge took over and I thought this died. Now
we are in the process of cutting down the privet to put in a new
flower bed and this is what I found. This plant has grown probably 20
feet tall and grew over the privet to get to the sun. Here are the
pictures of the leaves and the long stem:
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=tallstem.jpg
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...owerleaves.jpg

If anyone has a clue, I'd really appreciate it. I don't know whether
to cut it back and hope it eventually flowers or cut it down. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...owerleaves.jpg

Reminds me of an edible fig tree (Ficus carica). (At least if you are
in zone 7 or warmer, roughly). They do have lobed leaves and probably
could grow that big.

But I'm not sure it is. I'm not sure it really looks the same
(especially where the leaf stalks attach to the branches). I'm
comparing with the first fig picture I found in google:
http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/w...Fig%20Tree.jpg
But I'm far from an expert.

It might flower now that it has more light (which would make it much
easier to identify). Hard to know, of course.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 3, 8:18 pm, Jim Kingdon wrote:
http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ion=view&curre...

Reminds me of an edible fig tree (Ficus carica). (At least if you are
in zone 7 or warmer, roughly). They do have lobed leaves and probably
could grow that big.
But I'm not sure it is. I'm not sure it really looks the same
(especially where the leaf stalks attach to the branches). I'm
comparing with the first fig picture I found in google:http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/w...006/01/LFig%20...
But I'm far from an expert.

Well you have been doing quite well IMO

It might flower now that it has more light (which would make it much
easier to identify). Hard to know, of course.

You know, Jim, I was thinking the same thing, Fig, but you're correct,
the leaf-stem attachment is not right. (I just went out and checked to
be sure. And I found two ripe figs when I did!) Oh yes, figs can grow
quite large; the problem here is keeping them small enough to reach
the figs.

That plant looks so very familiar. I wish someone had IDed it so
I wouldn't be trying to figure it out all night long

Emilie
NorCal

Old 04-08-2007, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

mleblanca wrote:
[...]

it looks identical to my mom's white fig to me....even the stem attachment.

if that's the case, then they won't see the flowers, technically. the
flowers are inside the "fruit".

check out: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/fig.html

Old 05-08-2007, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 4, 9:29 am, rachael simpson wrote:
mleblanca wrote:
[...]

check out:http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/fig.html- Hide quoted text -

IMHO, I think that the leaf is more palmate than the fig. Reminds me
of something, too and I can't think of it! Is there an umbrella fig?

gloria in hemlock hollow

Old 05-08-2007, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for all these suggestions but I don't think it is a fig. I
already have a fig tree and the leaves are not really fig like. I
think it is a flowering plant but just can't remember what flower.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 5, 9:15 am, loonyhiker wrote:
Thanks for all these suggestions but I don't think it is a fig. I
already have a fig tree and the leaves are not really fig like. I
think it is a flowering plant but just can't remember what flower.

So Loony, you are saying we are barking up the wrong tree, huh?

Well here is another 'guess'
Fatsia japonica, Japanese Aralia

My JA has 7 lobes, but some sources say it can have 5, so I'm going
to suggest it. The shape of the lobes is very similar. And the long,
tall
bare stems, with the leaves at the top.
The leaves on my plant look darker, but yours has
been growing inside a privet, so.........

What zone are you?

Emilie
NorCal