Old 07-08-2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help! Tomatoes under attack!

Just in the past couple of days I've gone out to the garden and
discovered a rash of half-eaten tomatoes: so far it's been mainly plum
and cherry, but one of lower hanging Black Krim (two thirds of the
lobes still green, but the others ripe) has also been gnawed upon.

I've few problems in years previous; usually just a few half-eaten
super sweets.

All of the nibbled-on fruits remained still on the vine, some rather
high off the ground.

I suspect chipmunks are responsible for the lower nibbling, but don't
see how they could ascend to the much higher cherries. So maybe birds
are eating these?

Anyone have any other ideas about possible culprits? I live in a city
located in Central Wisconsin, very close to a river -- but in a highly
urbanized downtown area.

Any strategies about how I can prevent further pilfering other than
sitting out in the garden with a shotgun?

Just when I was beginning to get my first full rush of ripe tomatoes,
too. sigh

viv
Old 07-08-2007, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

vivian wrote:
[...]

Birds I've seen attack mine before were mockingbird and
bluejays...rodents I know of bothering tomatoes are squirrels, roof
rats, mice.

For birds, netting probably will work well enough...for rats/mice bait
stations near the plant MAY help, though they may just by-pass the bait
to go to the fruit, squirrels, removal of the animal would be needed.

Lar
Old 08-08-2007, 01:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

vivian wrote:
[...]

Groundhogs could be another suspect. Get a Hav-a-hart trap and bait
with peanut butter. Local laws may govern trap and release. It always
irritates ng's when I tell them I release animals to more affluent
neighborhoods
Frank
Old 08-08-2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

I just found one of our dogs helping herself to the cherry tomatoes...
arrrgghhh.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in news:46ba1667$0$1347
:

I just found one of our dogs helping herself to the cherry tomatoes...
arrrgghhh.

Ah, bless her heart. She probably loves them as much as anyone else in the
house.

Old 14-08-2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

yeah.. so the squirrels got all the Asian pears and she taught the
other dogs to get the tomatoes... double argh. at least the figs are
high and no beasties have found them YET. Ingrid

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 19:31:23 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

wrote in news:46ba1667$0$1347
:

I just found one of our dogs helping herself to the cherry tomatoes...
arrrgghhh.

Ah, bless her heart. She probably loves them as much as anyone else in the
house.

[IMG] code is On

Organics under attack via deregulation! all_seeing_eye Texas 6 31-05-2004 10:06 PM
Peruvian Lily Under Attack Fleemo Gardening 0 11-03-2004 01:32 AM
Bay tree under attack tkingham United Kingdom 0 26-08-2003 11:14 PM
under attack Hank Pagel Ponds 25 10-07-2003 10:58 PM
NG Under Attack Again? LeeAnne Gardening 6 25-02-2003 03:27 AM