Old 14-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Hank Pagel

Default under attack

Woke up this morning to a trashed pond....... Marginals turned over,
Watercress ripped out of waterfall, muddy water and half a frog
sitting on a rock. Even the flowers around the waterfall were ripped
out and trampled. Only good thing is all my fish survived the attack.
I have had raccoon raids before, but nothing like this.
QUESTION? Do water scarecrows really work on raccoons. Some how I
don't see these furry little bandits being afraid of a squirt of
water. I can see them thinking "Wow, this water park is really cool."

Old 14-06-2003, 05:32 PM
K30a

One rec.ponder had raccoons push over his
sprinkler. He anchored it, either in concrete or with a builder's block. That
worked.
I would set it really close to the pond. I might even put up two. Expensive but
you put a lot of effort into your pond already.

Half a frog, eh? yowza.

k30a
Old 14-06-2003, 06:44 PM
sparklingblue

One of the sites that sells Scarecrows had a video of it in action including
with a raccoon:

http://www.scatmat.com/Products/Scar...ent=videospage

Sparklingblue

Old 14-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Hank Pagel

Well , after reading other posts and your replies on a scarecrow I
guess it is time to sink another 60 bucks into the hole in the yard.
Thanks, Hank

PS: if I insert a link to my web page it does not
post????????????????????????

Old 14-06-2003, 10:56 PM
~ Windsong ~

In a fit of sanity: Hank Pagel picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:: QUESTION? Do water scarecrows really work on raccoons. Some
:: how I don't see these furry little bandits being afraid of a
:: squirt of water. I can see them thinking "Wow, this water park is
:: really cool."
=================
Some time ago there were posts here concerning raccoons becoming accustomed
to the scarecrows and ignoring them. You may be throwing money away. We
have a almost invisible bird net over our pond now and that keeps everything
but the smallest snakes and frogs out. We buy them at Ace Hardware for
$18.00 and they last several years. We haven't lost one fish or plant since
netting the 2 ponds.
--
Carol.......
Ponding on the cheap...........

Old 15-06-2003, 01:56 AM
NJ

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message
We
have a almost invisible bird net over our pond now and that keeps

everything
but the smallest snakes and frogs out. We buy them at Ace Hardware for
$18.00 and they last several years. We haven't lost one fish or plant

since
netting the 2 ponds.

I would be concerned if a raccoon becomes entangled in the netting...you
could have a real mess on your hands, including a nasty raccoon.

We had a raccoon attack last week (I recounted it in the forum here), and I
have resumed putting a lattice cover over our pond. We have a small pond
with a rock waterfall, and we constructed a cover of vinyl lattice cut
roughly to the shape of the pond and supported by a crosspiece of wood.
Added a rope for a handle for easy removal and guiding of placement onto the
pond.

Good luck with future "pest control!"

NJ

Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
~ Windsong ~

In the last chapter: NJ picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:: I would be concerned if a raccoon becomes entangled in the
:: netting...you could have a real mess on your hands, including a
:: nasty raccoon.

$$ Then it's time to call the local game warden. Better that then lose my
favorite fish and have my plants trashed.
--
Carol.......
The Frugal Ponder..........

Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Hank Pagel

news In the last chapter: NJ picked up the keyboard and pecked out:

Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Hank Pagel

The cost of a "Have-a-heart" trap is the same as having Animal Control
remove one animal in my town. I think 'it's time to relocate some
tourists.

Old 16-06-2003, 08:00 PM
John Hines

"Hank Pagel" wrote:

The cost of a "Have-a-heart" trap is the same as having Animal Control
remove one animal in my town. I think 'it's time to relocate some
tourists.

Of course, since relocating an animal w/o a license is an offense as
well, carry a fishing pole, and release the animal near a water feature.

Then when you get queried by the ranger, tell him "the coon? It's bait.
Oh, can't do that. Hmm, I guess I'll let him go."

(and, yes, to the humor impaired, this is mostly a joke)

Old 19-06-2003, 03:32 AM
crclark

After rocky racoon trashed my pond and ate most of my fish for the second
year in a row I got a Fido Fence and put it around the pond. One nite I
heard a loud "yelp" and I have not had a problem since...He must have told
his friends about the shock he got...C

Old 27-06-2003, 07:25 PM
BenignVanilla

"crclark" wrote in message
hlink.net...
After rocky racoon trashed my pond and ate most of my fish for the second
year in a row I got a Fido Fence and put it around the pond. One nite I
heard a loud "yelp" and I have not had a problem since...He must have told
his friends about the shock he got...C

snip

OK time for me to ask. I have heard of using fido fences here forever, and I
don't get it. I have an invisible fence for my dog, but it is worthless
without her collar. How did you get a collar on the coon?

BV.

Old 27-06-2003, 07:26 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:
"crclark" wrote in message
hlink.net...

After rocky racoon trashed my pond and ate most of my fish for the second
year in a row I got a Fido Fence and put it around the pond. One nite I
heard a loud "yelp" and I have not had a problem since...He must have told
his friends about the shock he got...C

snip

OK time for me to ask. I have heard of using fido fences here forever, and I
don't get it. I have an invisible fence for my dog, but it is worthless
without her collar. How did you get a collar on the coon?

BV.

A fido fence is an electric fence using strands of wire.
The invisible fence is a different type completely.

--
Bonnie
NJ