Old 16-08-2007, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mixing rose-of-sharon, redtwig dogwood, peve minaret

I intend on planting three Blue Satin rose of sharons in my back yard.
Drainage can sometimes be an issue, however, so I was thinking of adding
some mositure-loving redtwig dogwoods and peve minarets to the mix. I'd
appreciate any thoughts on this, including placement suggestions. I
have a fairly large corner to work with, entirely in the sun, zone 5.

Thanks.
Old 16-08-2007, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 16, 12:44?am, "Stuart E. Weiner" wrote:
I intend on planting three Blue Satin rose of sharons in my back yard.
Drainage can sometimes be an issue, however, so I was thinking of adding
some mositure-loving redtwig dogwoods and peve minarets to the mix. I'd
appreciate any thoughts on this, including placement suggestions. I
have a fairly large corner to work with, entirely in the sun, zone 5.

Thanks.

Have you lost your mind... rose of sharon is extremely invasive... its
seeds sprout everywhere, by the billions... your neighbors will hate
your guts, you'll hate your guts.

Old 16-08-2007, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

I intend on planting three Blue Satin rose of sharons in my back yard.
Drainage can sometimes be an issue, however, so I was thinking of adding
some mositure-loving redtwig dogwoods and peve minarets to the mix.

Have you lost your mind... rose of sharon is extremely invasive... its
seeds sprout everywhere, by the billions... your neighbors will hate
your guts, you'll hate your guts.

I don't know if it has been quite *that* bad for us, but yes, our
experience is that Rose of Sharon (the hibiscus) does spread beyond
where you plant it (I always thought this was by underground runners
but I guess I can't prove whether it was that or seeds since it all
happened before we bought the house). This is zone 7, I'm not sure
whether it is as true in zone 5.

Redtwig dogwood is, I have read, somewhat the same deal, in the sense
that it sends up lots of new shoots (and the recommendation, I think,
was to prune back many of the old ones - I think for the best red twig
color).

So I'd be kind of amused to watch those two fight it out.

The trunk of the Baldcypress 'Peve Minaret' will stay where it is
planted although if it is happy/old it will send up "knees" (growths from
the roots).
Old 16-08-2007, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

Have you lost your mind... rose of sharon is extremely invasive... its
seeds sprout everywhere, by the billions... your neighbors will hate
your guts, you'll hate your guts.

I know many people who have rose of sharon plants that don't have this
problem at all.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 17-08-2007, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 16, 12:44?am, "Stuart E. Weiner" wrote:
I intend on planting three Blue Satin rose of sharons in my back yard.
Drainage can sometimes be an issue, however, so I was thinking of adding
some mositure-loving redtwig dogwoods and peve minarets to the mix. I'd
appreciate any thoughts on this, including placement suggestions. I
have a fairly large corner to work with, entirely in the sun, zone 5.

Thanks.

Have you lost your mind... rose of sharon is extremely invasive... its
seeds sprout everywhere, by the billions... your neighbors will hate
your guts, you'll hate your guts.

Rose of Sharon is the same as Althea Bush, right? I told my family I was
planning to plant some of the seed I harvested from mine, and my aunt, 86
years old, said she had never heard of the seed sprouting. ??? Kinda
disappointed me to hear this, perhaps she thinks any sprouts that come up
around the root are not from seeds, but from roots???? We all live in
southern Arkansas if that makes a difference.

Old 17-08-2007, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 16, 2:36 pm, Ann wrote:
Sheldon expounded:

Have you lost your mind... rose of sharon is extremely invasive... its
seeds sprout everywhere, by the billions... your neighbors will hate
your guts, you'll hate your guts.

I know many people who have rose of sharon plants that don't have this
problem at all.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

And I'm one of them, Ann.
I have had 'Red Heart' for 20 years.
It's never produced a seed pod, never any root sprouts.
It's single, white with a bright red center.
Covered with flowers all summer.
Hummingbirds love it!

Emilie
NorCal

Old 17-08-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"arkienurse" wrote in message
. net...

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It roots easily from cuttings. My dear old neighbour gave me a pencil
sized branch and just said to stick it in the ground and water it. It took
right off with little extra care and is now a small tree.

Old 17-08-2007, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 16, 8:06?pm, "arkienurse" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

At my previous address my neighbor had six rose of sharon bushes right
up against their fence, in fact they hung over the fence. Those
miserable seeds would fall onto my nice lawn and sprout, those things
have powerful long roots. After a few years of tolerating the mess I
decided to get rid of those bushes. Over one summer about once every
two weeks I'd spray those bushes with a very dilute solution of Round
Up. Those horrible plants ever so slowly shriveled up and died. The
neighbors never spoke to me about it... of course I never told them I
hated those stupid bushes.

Go ahead and plant them, you've been warned.

Old 17-08-2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 16, 8:06?pm, "arkienurse" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

What a low-life jackass. If I found a neighbour doing that, they'd be
drinking it.

Go ahead and plant them, you've been warned.

Old 17-08-2007, 11:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Sheldon expounded:

At my previous address my neighbor had six rose of sharon bushes right
up against their fence, in fact they hung over the fence. Those
miserable seeds would fall onto my nice lawn and sprout, those things
have powerful long roots. After a few years of tolerating the mess I
decided to get rid of those bushes. Over one summer about once every
two weeks I'd spray those bushes with a very dilute solution of Round
Up. Those horrible plants ever so slowly shriveled up and died. The
neighbors never spoke to me about it... of course I never told them I
hated those stupid bushes.

Instead of talking to the neighbor about it, you killed his shrubs
with poison. Oh yea, that's the way to do things.

Go ahead and plant them, you've been warned.

And you've been told that not everyone has the same problems with rose
of sharon. I am sure, however, that everyone would have a problem
with you as a neighbor!

Old 18-08-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 16, 8:06?pm, "arkienurse" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I already have them, 2 on the north side of my house, one around the back,
and a tiny one in my front yard by the road. They were here when I moved
into this house, 10 years ago. I have NEVER had a sprout come up around
them ANYWHERE, hence my surprise to hear they were the worst parasites, and
easily spread. I thought it was hard to spread.
And I don't care for lawns. I like to see flowers and plants, could care
less about what type of groundcovering I have. I get that from my grandma.
She had so many plants and bushes in her yard that we just mowed the paths
around them.

Old 18-08-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

"cat daddy" wrote in message

It roots easily from cuttings. My dear old neighbour gave me a pencil
sized branch and just said to stick it in the ground and water it. It took
right off with little extra care and is now a small tree.

Thanks for the advice, I will have to try that next year.

Arkie