Old 18-08-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Brandywine tomatoes

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 21:05:54 -0400, Ann wrote:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

Mike McGrath used to edit Organic Gardening back when it spent more time
talking about gardening and less about how evil (fill in the blank) was. His
dismissal over disparaging a deep pockets chemical company lead to the end
of the magazine I think.

I dearly remember the old Organic Gardening and Farming, and miss it
and Mike's writings in it. I do read him in Green Prints, but OG has
never been the same. I get that now because I'm a member of the New
England Wildflower Society - I'd rather they stuck to the lovely mugs
they gave us each year, or the prints. OG is a waste of celluloid
now.

Yeah, that is a shame. I had a friend of my father's give me a huge
box full of the original A4 format OGM and when I escaped from New
York I got rid of them. I sure do wish I'd have thought that one
through. All that information is more than likely still relavant. I
also used to love the OG show on PBS. When Mike left OG the show was
no longer fun. Shame.
Old 19-08-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 08:38:48 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I'd have taken those. I heard about the show and mostly good things, but
with Victory Garden being the locally filmed PBS show, there was no chance
of them picking it up.

....and I'd have given them to you. There must have been ten years
worth, but I only took what would fit in or on top of my car and the
huge animal carrier took up the wholeback seat. Oh well. Live and
learn. It was neat seeing some of the really old ads, particularly
the hand illustrated ones.

Old 20-08-2007, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

I grew 2 Brandwines last year, first time. This year I'm up to 5. Just had
to have more!

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 8/16/07 4:07 PM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves
look
like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to
it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

They are the best. But I'll echo the recommendation for Green Zebras.

Old 20-08-2007, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

This year I went for "Pruden's Purple" and "Pineapple" heirlooms....
Yummy. Pruden's is very Brandywine-like but a bit more regular
shaped. Pineapple is an largish yellow and red striped tomato.

That's in addition to the paste tomatoes that I put up and use for
canned spaghetti sauce.

Old 20-08-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"snotbottom" wrote in message
ups.com...
This year I went for "Pruden's Purple" and "Pineapple" heirlooms....
Yummy. Pruden's is very Brandywine-like but a bit more regular
shaped. Pineapple is an largish yellow and red striped tomato.

That's in addition to the paste tomatoes that I put up and use for
canned spaghetti sauce.

I wonder where the term "put up" came from. Put up where? On the shelf? I
know it means canning, but it's an odd description.

Old 20-08-2007, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"snotbottom" wrote in message
ups.com...
This year I went for "Pruden's Purple" and "Pineapple" heirlooms....
Yummy. Pruden's is very Brandywine-like but a bit more regular
shaped. Pineapple is an largish yellow and red striped tomato.

That's in addition to the paste tomatoes that I put up and use for
canned spaghetti sauce.

I wonder where the term "put up" came from. Put up where? On the shelf? I
know it means canning, but it's an odd description.

http://www.amazon.com/Putting-Food-P.../dp/0452268990

The review may be of interest.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 22-08-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:16:19 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"snotbottom" wrote in message
oups.com...
This year I went for "Pruden's Purple" and "Pineapple" heirlooms....
Yummy. Pruden's is very Brandywine-like but a bit more regular
shaped. Pineapple is an largish yellow and red striped tomato.

That's in addition to the paste tomatoes that I put up and use for
canned spaghetti sauce.

I wonder where the term "put up" came from. Put up where? On the shelf? I
know it means canning, but it's an odd description.

South for many different things.