Old 16-08-2007, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Brandywine tomatoes

Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves look
like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

Old 16-08-2007, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message
news
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:07:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves
look
like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

Aren't they beautiful, as well? So meaty. Few finer. Welcome to the
world of *great* tasting tomatoes.

Hybrids cannot come close to the taste of the heirlooms, IMNSHO.

Next year, plant more of them, if you have the space. Some years are
better than others. Last year, the Old Germans, (great taste at the
other end of the spectrum) produced few. This year, I am nearly tired
of eating them.....great breakfast tomato, though. Sausage, eggs,
toast and maters'.....heaven.

Care
Charlie

I'm gonna go nuts with them next year. This year was discouraging until two
days ago, when I finally put up a wire fence to stop the deer. It's ugly as
hell, but I don't care. It works. Stepped outside around midmight last night
and there were 5 of the *******s standing there with a "What happened?" look
on their faces. The fence is 10 feet high.

Heh.

Old 16-08-2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever tasted. It's
an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves look like the plant's
struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to it is doing just fine. But
the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

This is one of our mandatory 'matoes; the others are Black Krim, Sungold (cherry)
and Green Zebra.
For us, the heirlooms have been good producers this year. We only have one hybrid this
year and it's not doing that well (Early Girl).
CareWren--drying tomatoes and making sauce today

Old 17-08-2007, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm.....ugly/brandywine.....no-ugly/no-brandywine...easy choice.

Hey.......here's an idea for your deer problem. Elder Son brought by a
movie for us to watch......"300".......not a particularly great movie,
IMO, but those Spartans were good with a spear thrust. Hide amongst
the 'maters and thrust a spear through their hearts. Back to basics,
man against beast at the primal level.......

Friggin' deer .......and rabbits, in my case. Shot a couple more
recently.

Enjoy the brandywines
Charlie

I think of "300" as a prelude to attacking Iran. How often do we see
beauty associated with Iran ? Faceless enemy comes to mind. Which is
great book that I can't find now. However a Amazon search for "Faceless
enemy" yields all sort of pro war books. Go Figure.

Anyway the book I know deals with wwII and how movies and media in
general always showed American faces while the enemy either had a mask
on or a snarling face. In "300" the Immortals all wore masks,

Bill who saw 300 and preferred the early version with people about
1955. I just gave it to my dad hours ago. Synchronicity.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 17-08-2007, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Reminds me of a Far Side cartoon. Huge mammoth, dead on the ground, spear
sticking out. One cave guy's looking at where the spear hit, saying "We
should write that spot down". :-)

Old 17-08-2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"KarenCannoli" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves
look like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next
to it is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

This is one of our mandatory 'matoes; the others are Black Krim, Sungold
(cherry)
and Green Zebra.
For us, the heirlooms have been good producers this year. We only have one
hybrid this
year and it's not doing that well (Early Girl).
CareWren--drying tomatoes and making sauce today

I stumbled across Brandywine by pure chance. I was too busy to start many of
my own seeds this year, and I figured it would be easy to find plenty of
varieties at the nurseries. I happened to be at Home Despot, where I
normally won't buy plants. But, some employee must've accidentally taken
great care of the tomato plants. The Brandywines were in great shape.

The employee's probably been lobotomized and fired by now, so he/she won't
attempt to teach other employees how to take care of plants.

Old 17-08-2007, 01:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/16/07 4:07 PM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves look
like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

They are the best. But I'll echo the recommendation for Green Zebras.

Old 17-08-2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 8/16/07 4:07 PM, in article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves
look
like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to
it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

They are the best. But I'll echo the recommendation for Green Zebras.

Subtitle:
Seed starting project takes over entire basement.

Old 17-08-2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any
tomato I've ever tasted. It's an old variety, not very
disease resistant, so the leaves look like the plant's
struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

I started mine from seed this year. Some of the fruit is
downright homely but I got a 1lb 4 1/4 oz beauty last
weekend. Best tomato I've ever eaten! I have the seeds
from it fermenting on the sink for next year!

Seahag

Old 17-08-2007, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves
look
like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to
it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

They are the best. But I'll echo the recommendation for Green Zebras.

Subtitle:
Seed starting project takes over entire basement.

Ever read Mike McGrath about seed starting?

Old 17-08-2007, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves look
like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

I've had some better foliage and tomatoes when I sprayed the foliage
using skim milk in water. I used a half cup powdered milk to the
gallon and used this regularly. It cuts way down on mildew and other
problems. You can use skim milk out of the carton as well. Then, I
mix a cup with a gallon of water and put it in my pump up sprayer.
This method is useless in a hose end sprayer.

Yes, there is nothing like a Brandywine.
Old 17-08-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves
look
like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to
it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

They are the best. But I'll echo the recommendation for Green Zebras.

Subtitle:
Seed starting project takes over entire basement.

Ever read Mike McGrath about seed starting?

No. What's it about? Removing your furnace to make more room for seed trays?
:-)

Old 17-08-2007, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves
look
like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

I've had some better foliage and tomatoes when I sprayed the foliage
using skim milk in water. I used a half cup powdered milk to the
gallon and used this regularly. It cuts way down on mildew and other
problems. You can use skim milk out of the carton as well. Then, I
mix a cup with a gallon of water and put it in my pump up sprayer.
This method is useless in a hose end sprayer.

Yes, there is nothing like a Brandywine.

I heard the same thing about a baking soda & water mixture. Throws the pH in
a direction that nasties aren't comfortable with. I've only tried it with
cucumbers. Seems to work.

Old 17-08-2007, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Just tasted the first one. Holy smokes. Not like any tomato I've ever
tasted. It's an old variety, not very disease resistant, so the leaves
look
like the plant's struggling a bit, while the Better Boy variety next to
it
is doing just fine. But the taste - totally outrageous.

Put it on your list for next year.

They are the best. But I'll echo the recommendation for Green Zebras.

Subtitle:
Seed starting project takes over entire basement.

Ever read Mike McGrath about seed starting?

No. What's it about? Removing your furnace to make more room for seed trays?
:-)

Darn close! Check out back issues of Green Prints (one of the two and only
two gardening mags I still subscribe to).

Cheryl

Old 17-08-2007, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like Henry Mitchell. Have you read either of his books?
"The Essential Earthman"
"One Man's Garden"