Old 27-08-2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default there has to be an easier way

My plums are ripe. taste great and I've already gathered enough to
make a half batch of wine(if i wished)

thing is, they are a pain to pit. local wineshop told me to freeze
them to help macerate(masticate? crush) sould i do this with the pits
in? is there an easy way to pit plums? I'd assume boiling them would
help, but that might draw out icky stuff from the pits

Old 27-08-2007, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tater wrote in news:1188254224.557278.17570
@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

My plums are ripe. taste great and I've already gathered enough to
make a half batch of wine(if i wished)

thing is, they are a pain to pit. local wineshop told me to freeze
them to help macerate(masticate? crush) sould i do this with the pits
in? is there an easy way to pit plums? I'd assume boiling them would
help, but that might draw out icky stuff from the pits

I used to pit plums on the fly to feed my draft horse. I simply grabbed
the plun, stuck my thumbs into it and pushed out the pit. Took two seconds
and my spoiled baby got the juicy bits with no annoying pits.
Old 28-08-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

he stuck in his thumb and pulled out a plum and said "what a good boy
am I"??????

:

Old 28-08-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 27, 5:41 pm, FragileWarrior
wrote:
Tater wrote in news:1188254224.557278.17570
@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

My plums are ripe. taste great and I've already gathered enough to
make a half batch of wine(if i wished)

thing is, they are a pain to pit. local wineshop told me to freeze
them to help macerate(masticate? crush) sould i do this with the pits
in? is there an easy way to pit plums? I'd assume boiling them would
help, but that might draw out icky stuff from the pits

I used to pit plums on the fly to feed my draft horse. I simply grabbed
the plun, stuck my thumbs into it and pushed out the pit. Took two seconds
and my spoiled baby got the juicy bits with no annoying pits.

and how many gallons did you do at a time? just collected 2-3 today,
expect more tommorrow

Old 28-08-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tater wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:
Tater wrote in news:1188254224.557278.17570
@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

My plums are ripe. taste great and I've already gathered enough to
make a half batch of wine(if i wished)

thing is, they are a pain to pit. local wineshop told me to freeze
them to help macerate(masticate? crush) sould i do this with the
pits in? is there an easy way to pit plums? I'd assume boiling them
would help, but that might draw out icky stuff from the pits

I used to pit plums on the fly to feed my draft horse. I simply
grabbed the plun, stuck my thumbs into it and pushed out the pit.
Took two seconds and my spoiled baby got the juicy bits with no
annoying pits.

and how many gallons did you do at a time? just collected 2-3 today,
expect more tommorrow

I don't know. How many gallons do you think it takes to keep a 1700#
horse happy? shrug He ate the daily crop of plums, pitted. I never
thought to count/weigh/measure them. Sorry.

BTW, are you sure you really want to do this? You sure sound unhappy
over just about every aspect of it. Perhaps it's easier just to buy what
you want.

Old 28-08-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 28, 8:07 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:

BTW, are you sure you really want to do this? You sure sound unhappy
over just about every aspect of it. Perhaps it's easier just to buy what
you want.

yhe I want to do this. i have about a dozen plum trees (a 15ft tall
plant is NOT a bush!) and either i do this or let them rot, and I am
unhappy about wasting them like that.

still thinking of getting the ladder up to get those high ones, next
year i am pruning with a vengance!

Old 28-08-2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tater wrote:
My plums are ripe. taste great and I've already gathered enough to
make a half batch of wine(if i wished)

thing is, they are a pain to pit. local wineshop told me to freeze
them to help macerate(masticate? crush) sould i do this with the pits
in? is there an easy way to pit plums? I'd assume boiling them would
help, but that might draw out icky stuff from the pits

I used to make peach wine. I'd pop the pit, crushing by hand, but if it
stayed with peach, I'd leave it in. Initial ferment in 12 gal food
grade containers with added sugar and water, then siphon into secondary
fermenter with air lock to complete. Maybe 8-9 gallons of must to get 5
gallons of wine.
Old 29-08-2007, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

yhe I want to do this. i have about a dozen plum trees (a 15ft tall
plant is NOT a bush!) and either i do this or let them rot, and I am
unhappy about wasting them like that.

You're almost ready to open your own mini-U-pick operation there.
You know, look for someone with a "will pick for plums" sign out :-).
Old 30-08-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 28, 10:05 pm, Jim Kingdon wrote:
yhe I want to do this. i have about a dozen plum trees (a 15ft tall
plant is NOT a bush!) and either i do this or let them rot, and I am
unhappy about wasting them like that.

You're almost ready to open your own mini-U-pick operation there.
You know, look for someone with a "will pick for plums" sign out :-).

heh, this fall i am cutting the trees in half. no pinmt in having
plums that are 15 feet off the ground.

hows that for agressive pruning?

Old 30-08-2007, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

BTW, are you sure you really want to do this? You sure sound unhappy
over just about every aspect of it. Perhaps it's easier just to buy what
you want.

yhe I want to do this. i have about a dozen plum trees (a 15ft tall
plant is NOT a bush!) and either i do this or let them rot, and I am
unhappy about wasting them like that.

still thinking of getting the ladder up to get those high ones, next
year i am pruning with a vengance!

Probably somebody mentioned this already --but you could get
someone from a local food bank to pick the fruit. I used to get
somebody from St.Joseph's to pick my oversupply of peaches.
Would be terrible to let nutritious fresh food go to waste, when there
are people who can't afford to buy it.

Persephone