Old 18-09-2007, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default what's this herb?

On Sep 18, 7:17?am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
Sheldon wrote in news:1190082725.675644.321460
@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

On Sep 16, 7:18?pm, FragileWarrior
wrote:
Sheldon wrote in news:1189959368.246740.36340
@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

On Sep 16, 8:45?am, wrote:
I have a herb growing in my garden and I haven't a clue what it is
(but it smells lovely!)

Could someone identify it, please?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85947342@N00/1391956438/

If you don't know what it is how can you say it's an herb, and I
wouldn't assume a culinary herb unless you can describe how it

smells
better than "lovely". Have you tasted it, you'd know rosemary right
away. At first glance those long narrow leaves look needlelike so
they somehat resemble rosemary needles but I think not. Rosemary is
bushier and dosen't branch like that and would have bark, nor are
their needles on its primary branches. And then again there are

other
plants in that picture, perhaps I'm focusing on the wrong one...
there's one there that sure looks like thyme at first glance but now
I'm leaning more torwards pyrocantha, but perhaps not. Your photo

is
kind of crowded and doesn't depict detail very well... you need to
also include a tight close up of whichever plant your talking about.
It would also help to know what planting zone you're in.

The simple answer, of course, was: Rosemary.

What's with the commas and colon? Do you stutter.

No, I did it to annoy anal-punctuation-retentives. Thanks for letting me
know it worked.

That plant is not rosemary, simple.

The owner of the plant says it IS -- even simpler

Does not say any such thing, not in any of the three posts to this
thread... in fact the OP hasn't a clue what it is, that's why the
first post... you're yet another liar.

In fact the OP says he/she had a rosemary plant previously but got rid
of it... only a comatose imbecile wouldn't know if the present plant
isn't rosemary too, that's why I asked about tasting it... actually
all the OP needed to do to confirm is sniff. No one who's had
rosemary previously would ask what that plant is if it's rosemary, the
aroma is unmistakeable.

I don't know what that plant is (I never said what it is, I don't
think it's possible to say with certainty from that picture, all
anyone can do is offer wild speculation) but I've no doubt whatsoever
that this Fragile one needs to change names to FreakingSmarmier.

Old 18-09-2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in news:1190126522.310101.78180@
19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

Does not say any such thing, not in any of the three posts to this
thread... in fact the OP hasn't a clue what it is, that's why the
first post... you're yet another liar.

Comprehension problems, Sheldon?

Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Subject: what's this herb?

But yes, it looks exactly like that (without the flowers).

Many thanks!

Derek
Old 18-09-2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 17, 5:58?am, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
The message
from FragileWarrior contains these words:

The simple answer, of course, was: Rosemary.

Yes, but it was funny watching Sheldon fall flat on his face again

Janet

Being the simple minded ones you are of course that's what you'd say.

I don't think that's rosemary and the longer this thread goes on the
more convinced I am that it's something else or somebody is trolling.
And it's really too late already... if this Derek (who has posted two
more times) hasn't anwered my question by now regarding taste and
smell then if he now admits it's rosemary then he's simply a troll. I
was convinced he's a troll or that's truly not rosemary as soon as he
posted that he had a rosemary plant previously. There is no way
someone whose been acquainted with rosemary previously, if ever so
briefly, wouldn't recognize another rosemary plant immediately, even
blindfolded... of all culinary herbs the redolence of rosemary (pine)
is probably the most readily recalled. For anyone who has had a
rosemary plant previously to not identify another rosemary plant is
tantamont to someone not identifying mint (any variety) when they've
known it previously... don't need any stinkin' picture for either,
only a nose.

Old 18-09-2007, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Newsgroups: rec.gardens

But yes, it looks exactly like that (without the flowers).

Many thanks!

Derek

You have no comprehension. He knew what it looked like before he
posted the picture (DUH) oh FreakingSmarmier... you have the intellect
of a worm. "Looks like" and IS are not synonymous. We all know what
it looks like, no one here knows what it IS. Your big head and your
small head obviously possess the same IQ, FreakingPutz. LOL

Old 18-09-2007, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in news:1190129883.183989.82770
@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Newsgroups: rec.gardens

But yes, it looks exactly like that (without the flowers).

Many thanks!

Derek

You have no comprehension. He knew what it looked like before he
posted the picture (DUH) oh FreakingSmarmier...

He was thanking me for the photo link I posted and saying that that was
what his herb looked like. You really need to learn how to read what is
there as well as what is NOT there.

you have the intellect
of a worm.

And you have the wit, the style, the grace and the rotting odor of a dead
slug.

"Looks like" and IS are not synonymous. We all know what
it looks like, no one here knows what it IS. Your big head and your
small head obviously possess the same IQ, FreakingPutz. LOL

Why do you think he thanked me and went away, o' amazingly st00pid,
Sheldon?
Old 18-09-2007, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior
Sheldon writes:

You have no comprehension. He knew what it looked like before he
posted the picture (DUH) oh FreakingSmarmier...
"Looks like" and IS are not synonymous. We all know what
it looks like, no one here knows what it IS. Your big head and your
small head obviously possess the same IQ, FreakingPutz. LOL

He was thanking me for the photo link I posted and saying that that was
what his herb looked like.

Looked like... try reading again, this time more slowly and try not
moving your lips... looked like. duh Actually his picture looked very
liitle like the one you lifted off the net.

Now you've switched to top posting in a feeble attempt to addle, oh
SMARMIER.

Old 18-09-2007, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote in news:1190132631.217556.228420

Sheldon writes:

You have no comprehension. He knew what it looked like before he
posted the picture (DUH) oh FreakingSmarmier...
"Looks like" and IS are not synonymous. We all know what
it looks like, no one here knows what it IS. Your big head and your
small head obviously possess the same IQ, FreakingPutz. LOL

He was thanking me for the photo link I posted and saying that that was
what his herb looked like.

Looked like... try reading again, this time more slowly and try not
moving your lips... looked like. duh Actually his picture looked very
liitle like the one you lifted off the net.

Now you've switched to top posting in a feeble attempt to addle, oh
SMARMIER.

Jesus wept. You're quite insane.

Old 18-09-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

The message
from FragileWarrior contains these
words:

And you have the wit, the style, the grace and the rotting odor of a
dead slug.

Nah, he's not that good.

Janet

I apologize to dead slugs everywhere.
Old 21-09-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

If it's the plant with the lighter-green leaves in the photo, I'd say it
looks like a Lemon Verbena my mother once had in her garden in the SF Bay
Area. Is the lovely fragrance at all lemony, perchance? ;-] What is your
coldest average winter temperature? Lemon Verbena is not terribly
cold-hardy -- so if you get a lot of temps. below 25 deg. F, that's probably
not it. Good luck in your search!

Happy trails....

Sue
Beautiful Butte County, CA
USDA zone 8, Sunset zone 7

============

Old 21-09-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

If it's the plant with the lighter-green leaves in the photo, I'd say it
looks like a Lemon Verbena my mother once had in her garden in the SF Bay
Area. Is the lovely fragrance at all lemony, perchance? ;-]

Lemon verbena has wider leaves. See for example:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/279/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_verbena

But yes, the fragrance would make it easy to detect this one (or at
least narrow it down, as there are other lemony herbs).

My own lemon verbena (Washington, DC, zone 7) was indoors last winter
and didn't like it so much (kept some leaves all winter but lost
plenty). It has grown nicely into a small shrub this summer (planted
in the ground outdoors). I had been thinking of bringing it indoors,
but now that I do some reading it seems like I might be just as likely
to kill it that way as by leaving it in the ground (with mulch). In
zone 7, it is expected to die back to the ground but has a decent shot
of surviving (although it will come back late in the spring if it
does). If the climate were colder than this, the recommendation would
be to bring it indoors or just grow it as an annual.
Old 21-09-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for the reference photos, Jim -- but I stand by my statement that the
plant in Derek's photo looks like my mother's Lemon Verbena. I grow Lemon
Verbena here, and the leaves on mine are a tad darker in color and a bit
wider than Derek's -- but we all know how variable the plant kingdom can be!
;-]

There's also a possibility, as I look again at the growth habit of Derek's
shrub, that it could be California Laurel (aka Myrtlewood in Oregon) --
Umbellularia californica. There are several plants in my yard that get
lanky like that when they don't get quite enough sun, and I find the leaves
to be intoxicatingly fragrant! An almost cinnamon-y Lemon Verbena, to my
nose -- close to Ceylon Cinnamon, if you're familiar with that. But I
digress... I love playing Name That Plant, and hope Derek finds out what
his plant is -- and reports back. I'm intrigued now!

Happy trails....

Sue
Beautiful Butte County, CA
USDA zone 8, Sunset zone 7

===============
news

Old 21-09-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

I love playing Name That Plant, and hope Derek finds out what his
plant is -- and reports back. I'm intrigued now!

Oh, he figured that out (or gave up) long ago. I don't know if you
noticed how long this thread is.

I just wanted an excuse to talk about lemon verbena...

[IMG] code is On

Herb Sale At Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium and Nursery mrchaos007 Texas 21 11-04-2005 08:07 PM
herb or weed? Doctoroe North Carolina 20 19-04-2003 03:08 PM
repotting / herb question? Shiltsy Gardening 4 18-02-2003 09:27 PM
Herb usage? subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 4 28-10-2002 02:41 PM
Family apples (was Herb usage?) Big Al United Kingdom 1 24-10-2002 06:18 PM