Old 18-09-2007, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default As some of us put the gardens to bed

What is your favorite garden memory of the season?

Mine has to be discovering that an expensive daylily that I thought had died
was alive and blooming this year.

Back to weeding and other fall clean up

Old 18-09-2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

What is your favorite garden memory of the season?

Hard to pick just one, but a few we

* Bearded Irises, planted last fall, came up vigorous and beautiful
this spring.

* Okra, something I've never grown before, took off. Tall plants with
beautiful (short-lived) flowers and lots of okra to eat.

* Mistflower, thoroughwort, and goldenrod all blooming now. In this
sense it is hard to think of the season as over. The fall planting
season (perennials, mostly) is in full swing now that the really hot
weather should be over.
Old 18-09-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

best... finding that the peonies I put in the frig last fall (from
next door who ripped them all out) and forgot to plant until July not
only came up, one of them put out a flower.

worst.... the person who used to help my mother garden, who I hired to
help me out pulled up my mother's aster (my mother died 3 years ago).
Last time she pulled up all the arabis I had been bringing along to be
huge spreads. sigh.

Ingrid
Old 18-09-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
What is your favorite garden memory of the season?

Mine has to be discovering that an expensive daylily that I thought had died
was alive and blooming this year.

Back to weeding and other fall clean up

The best thing about this time of year in this climate is that
everything blooms again. Heat stress shuts the garden down for a while,
but the least bit of relief, even if it's only shorter days, brings it
back loaded for bear. Flowering shrubs have a flush of new blooms, and
tomatoes and peppers set blossoms after weeks of heat-induced dormancy.
Sadly, few of any of blossoms will see fruition. Frost will kill them
before that can happen.

Daytime temps have been in the seventies and eighties here, a huge
relief from 90 and 100 degree temps of just a couple of weeks ago. Night
time temps range from the 50s to the 70s. The air smells like leaves.
Strawberry plants are almost ready for cut back and cover. There is one
lone watermelon left on a vine. Tender herbs want to move back home.

Old 18-09-2007, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/18/07 11:54 AM, in article
, "
wrote:

best... finding that the peonies I put in the frig last fall (from
next door who ripped them all out) and forgot to plant until July not
only came up, one of them put out a flower.

worst.... the person who used to help my mother garden, who I hired to
help me out pulled up my mother's aster (my mother died 3 years ago).
Last time she pulled up all the arabis I had been bringing along to be
huge spreads. sigh.

Ingrid

Sigh - I don't hire help in the garden any more. One pulled up 90% of my
perennial ageratums.

Cheryl

Old 18-09-2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sigh - I don't hire help in the garden any more. One pulled up 90% of my
perennial ageratums.

I hear ya.

But when the puller in question is your partner/spouse, it isn't quite
that simple :-).

The current method seems to be a tag and/or stake next to every wanted
plant. We'll see how that works. Volunteers which we might want to
keep will be the real challenge.
Old 20-09-2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

She is also a friend and I pay 15 per hour. She is just so revved up
when she weeds. Ingrid

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:44:36 -0500, wrote:
Getting good workers is difficult and I pay ten dollars an hour (which
is pretty generous for what I ask people do).