Old 25-10-2007, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Water temps in greenhouse

I just put in a 9x12 greenhouse. Water is plumbed directly inside with a
dual carbon filtration system. I usually water with a spray wand, but it
seems like the ground water temps in January are going to be too cold to be
practical. How does everyone deal with water temps during the winter?

I am using two 55 gallon plastic barrels as a solar heat sink. I am thinking
about using one of these as my source for plant water, and would just refill
with ground water. Thoughts?

Old 25-10-2007, 11:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Insight News said:

I just put in a 9x12 greenhouse. Water is plumbed directly inside with a
dual carbon filtration system. I usually water with a spray wand, but it
seems like the ground water temps in January are going to be too cold to be
practical. How does everyone deal with water temps during the winter?

Are the pipes carrying the water to the GH, well insulated? I'd be quite
worried about them bursting (tho you didn't say your location). I have drip
irrigation system in mine, that I connect directly to an outside spigot. If
it's too cold outside, I disconnect the hose from the spigot to the
greenhouse. The water temp is the same temp that it is, and has always
been, inside the house at the faucets.

I am using two 55 gallon plastic barrels as a solar heat sink. I am thinking
about using one of these as my source for plant water, and would just refill
with ground water. Thoughts?

Two 55gal barrels will provide little, in the way of warmth, in that
sized-structure. Use it for watering.

--

Eggs

A watched clock never boils.

[IMG] code is On

Heat and Water Temps ?? Bette In Ohio Ponds 13 04-08-2006 06:10 PM
water temps WVNebJockey Ponds 3 31-03-2005 02:19 PM
Water temps at various depths Ka30P Ponds 8 07-09-2004 05:27 AM
Water temps at various depths Roy Ponds 5 07-09-2004 05:27 AM