Old 30-03-2005, 07:09 PM
WVNebJockey

Default water temps

I have a pond that is in full sun from daybreak til dark. Last year the
water temps soard to 88F and I lost a lot of fish. The pond is about 8x6
and is approx 18" in depth. What are some ideas on keeping the water
cooler. I'm thinking more depth. btw I live in WVa, so its not like I
live near the equator.

What are some of the tricks that the people down south use?

Old 30-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Reel McKoi

"WVNebJockey" wrote in message
I have a pond that is in full sun from daybreak til dark. Last year the
water temps soard to 88F and I lost a lot of fish. The pond is about 8x6
and is approx 18" in depth. What are some ideas on keeping the water
cooler. I'm thinking more depth. btw I live in WVa, so its not like I
live near the equator.

What are some of the tricks that the people down south use?

=====================
You didn't mention aeration and filtration. They may be suffocating. To
keep the water cooler in my ponds I use water lilies. They cover part of
the surface. Also put the tall pond plants on the south side of the pond to
help shade the water. Make sure your filter is not clogged and you have
plenty of aeration.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 31-03-2005, 02:03 AM
RichToyBox

There are two ways that come to mind to help with the pond temperature. The
first is to increase evaporation, which provides a large amount of cooling.
This can be done by use of spitters, waterfalls, or fountains. The other is
to provide shade. This can be a yard umbrella, shade sails, trees, or tall
pond plants such as cannas. The shade reduces solar heating, while the
increased evaporation provides air conditioning, and in combination will
provide the best operations.
--
RichToyBox

Old 31-03-2005, 02:19 PM
CanadianCowboy

Water Lilies (even fake ones) provide cover for fish and they will go
under them when it gets hot and sunny. If you don't want plants in your
pond put them outside around the pond.

I have a similar size pond and plants and spitters and a waterfall does
the trick.