Old 05-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Roy

Default Water temps at various depths

After reading some posts on water temps at different depths I fooled
around taking readings in my pond at different depths. In the middle
my pond is right at 21 feet. The temp at this depth is 61 degrees. It
stays at approximately this temp untill I get to 15 feet where it then
gets into the 70's. The temp gradually increases from 15 foot depth
and 72/73 deg until it hits approximately 4 feet of depth where it
gets into the high 70's. The water never gets into the low 80's
unless I am in the upper 6 to 10 inches of water. One inch of water
gives me a temp of 86 deg in the sun, with outside temp of 90 deg.
This is one reason I run my suction line for my fountain and aerator
pump etc from the deep section of the pond so I can shower the
shallower areas with colder water, and keep my overall temps at the
upper levels lower. I know just by waling around in the waters up to
you knees in the area aerated by the pump it is much cooler as
compared to walking around areas not aerated by the pump in other
sections of the pond.

I would assume the opposite would be true in winter...The warmer
(more uniform water temp) water would be deeper as compared to water
chilled by wind and lack of sun during winter.

I used an electronic thermometer and probe lowered into the water
while attached to a tape measure. I wll have to repeat this once it
gets into the winter season here and see just how low my bottom temp
is then as compared to the upper levels. I cana't vouch for the
accuracy of the thermometer but its sucessfully used for hatching oout
poultry etc so its pretty close..

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Ka30P

Roy wrote I wll have to repeat this once it
gets into the winter season here and see just how low my bottom temp
is then as compared to the upper levels.

Just don't fall in! ;-)

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 05-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Cold water sinks. In the winter, the top may freeze, but the bottom will be
cold if you don't circulate. The ground, however, will heat the pond as
compared to the freezing air. Earth is essentially your
buffer/insulator/stabilizer in both summer and winter. Jim's brother made
an eco house that cools in the summer from the earth and stores winter sun
in milk jugs of water. Heating and cooling are accomplished by reversing
the fan that blows the air. One fan!

Phyllis

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 05-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Crashj

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:06:05 -0500, "Jim and Phyllis Hurley"
wrote:
Cold water sinks. In the winter, the top may freeze, but the bottom will be
cold if you don't circulate.

Ah, yes, but the coldest water rises since it expands just as it
approaches 32*F. As it freezes the ice floats to the top and then
forms an insulating layer on the pond, especially with a little snow
on it. So within the pond there is a natural circulation.
I am not disagreeing with your point, just amplifying the physics of
the circulation.
The greehouse sounds nifty.
--
Crashj
Old 07-09-2004, 04:57 AM
Crashj

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 02:40:32 -0400, KenCo wrote:

Jim and Phyllis Hurley wrote:
Cold water sinks.

the ground is 50-55F at 4-5' depth and thats why
water pipes are set a 4-5' below ground depending
on what zone your in.
his 21' depth is assuring it will never freeze.

Crikeys, mate, where is he going to pile all that dirt?! Should work,
though; permafrost in Alaska probably isn't that deep.
;-)
--
crashj

Old 07-09-2004, 05:27 AM
Roy

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 03:57:00 GMT, Crashj
wrote:

===On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 02:40:32 -0400, KenCo wrote:
===
===Jim and Phyllis Hurley wrote:
=== Cold water sinks.
===
===the ground is 50-55F at 4-5' depth and thats why
===water pipes are set a 4-5' below ground depending
===on what zone your in.
===his 21' depth is assuring it will never freeze.
===
===Crikeys, mate, where is he going to pile all that dirt?! Should work,
===though; permafrost in Alaska probably isn't that deep.
===;-)
===--
===crashj

Heck that dirt has long since been utilized elsewhere that I removed
form my pond when I dug it...I went deep as I always hated seeing the
typical ponds in this area that are usually only 4 or 5 feet deep,
looking so bad when they start to loose water with evaporation and
rely on rainfall to fill. I went deep for more water, cooler water and
more capacity.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Water temps in greenhouse Insight News Gardening 1 25-10-2007 11:01 AM
Heat and Water Temps ?? Bette In Ohio Ponds 13 04-08-2006 06:10 PM
water temps WVNebJockey Ponds 3 31-03-2005 02:19 PM
Planting depths for bulbs Chris Hogg United Kingdom 28 21-09-2004 04:48 PM
Water temps at various depths Ka30P Ponds 8 07-09-2004 05:27 AM