Old 08-11-2007, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Google vs. Newsgroups

Why doesn't everyone just Google everything?

I mean, there are people who vehemently believe that EVERY QUESTION IN THE
KNOWN UNIVERSE can be answered by Googling.

Ergo: Usenet Newsgroups are useless and pointless. Mental masturbation.
Pointless discussion by inferior human beings who don't know everything, yet
like to talk about their lack of education, knowledge, refinement and
culture.

I just don't get it.

Steve ;-)

Old 08-11-2007, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:
Why doesn't everyone just Google everything?

I mean, there are people who vehemently believe that EVERY QUESTION IN THE
KNOWN UNIVERSE can be answered by Googling.

Ergo: Usenet Newsgroups are useless and pointless. Mental masturbation.
Pointless discussion by inferior human beings who don't know everything, yet
like to talk about their lack of education, knowledge, refinement and
culture.

I just don't get it.

Steve ;-)

Would you be awful mad if I...

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...vs.+Newsgroups

Hmmm, but maybe that'll fuel your fire...

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...den+Composting

Old 08-11-2007, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

SteveB wrote:
Why doesn't everyone just Google everything?

I mean, there are people who vehemently believe that EVERY QUESTION IN THE
KNOWN UNIVERSE can be answered by Googling.

Ergo: Usenet Newsgroups are useless and pointless. Mental masturbation.
Pointless discussion by inferior human beings who don't know everything,
yet
like to talk about their lack of education, knowledge, refinement and
culture.

I just don't get it.

Steve ;-)

Would you be awful mad if I...

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...vs.+Newsgroups

Hmmm, but maybe that'll fuel your fire...

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...den+Composting

Bwah-ha-ha-ha :-D
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 08-11-2007, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote in message

I just don't get it.

That observation has already been made.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

One such usual post is one where one wants an ID of a plant, enclosed with
pictures of same... Answer may be somewhere on the internet, but no way to
use a picture as a question in google.

What puzzles me about your observation is why you're even posting or reading
in a newsgroup.
--
Dave
Profound is we're here due to a chance arrangement

Old 08-11-2007, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote:
Why doesn't everyone just Google everything?

Those who right away holler Google are just dimwitted newbies...
proper procedure is to search the Newsgroup for relevant threads
*prior* to posting questions... those who just barge in expecting
immediate gratifiction are rude and crude boors to be avoided.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
SteveB wrote:
Why doesn't everyone just Google everything?

I mean, there are people who vehemently believe that EVERY QUESTION IN
THE KNOWN UNIVERSE can be answered by Googling.

Ergo: Usenet Newsgroups are useless and pointless. Mental
masturbation. Pointless discussion by inferior human beings who don't
know everything, yet like to talk about their lack of education,
knowledge, refinement and culture.

I just don't get it.

Steve ;-)

Would you be awful mad if I...

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...vs.+Newsgroups

Hmmm, but maybe that'll fuel your fire...

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...den+Composting

I responded to one of his other posts. He'd rather argue than discuss.
Think he's a jerk, but that's just my opinion

Frank
Old 08-11-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

I agree that one should look in the newsgroup before posting, but the
unfortunate fact is that usenet is falling into disuse, as most people
find a web search a more efficient way of finding information. Many
ISPs no longer offer usenet, while almost all who do limit the resources
they will dedicate to usenet, and the result is that postings and whole
threads appear to have disappeared from usenet, depending on how much
storage your ISP has allocated, so a usenet search is often a waste of
time. To get more thorough coverage of usenet, you have to join one of
the usenet services, at a fee, and even then the coverage is never
complete. So doing a web search that includes usenet postings (as, I
believe, does google, but I really don't know as I prefer another search
engine) is the most efficient way to get information at the current time.

Usenet is a superior way of discussing a subject, I think, and I've
picked up valuable information on it, but unfortunately, there are quite
a few half-wits who clutter it with extraneous comments that would earn
them a quick seat on the floor in a bar.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

As an old and dedicated Usenet user, I've found that if I want to review a
subject, I'll use the groups feature in Google and just search there.

I hope Usenet never disappears - I really prefer it to the myriad of boards,
private lists and other existing folderol.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 8, 2:00?pm, "Not@home" wrote:
I agree that one should look in the newsgroup before posting, but the
unfortunate fact is that usenet is falling into disuse, as most people
find a web search a more efficient way of finding information.

Nonsense.

Searching this Newsgroup for compost results in many relevant
threads that have been discussed here, many recently. SteveB has
proven that he is an extremely otiose obnoxious small minded infantile
troll.

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...=Search+Groups

Old 09-11-2007, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

SteveB wrote:
Why doesn't everyone just Google everything?

I mean, there are people who vehemently believe that EVERY QUESTION IN THE
KNOWN UNIVERSE can be answered by Googling.

I think not because some questions humans do not have the answers for
yet, nor do computers either duh. You have to know some tricks about
framing your search and how to use the advanced search function which
doesn't seem to work as well as it did before for me; others may know
something about that I don't. I use google all the time. Sometimes it
is very helpful, and sometimes it is useless because it spits back too
many results to sift through, plus you have to use some discernment
because there is a lot of disinformation out there, well usenet has its
share of that, too.

Google can't seem to archive subpages of many websites, probably can't
keep up. The cached feature is nice at times. So many searches for
products or info you have to go to a specific website and use their
search engine (which often don't work very well, won't search for exact
phrases, etc.).

At least you can't get flamed by google. Yet.

Ergo: Usenet Newsgroups are useless and pointless. Mental masturbation.
Pointless discussion by inferior human beings who don't know everything, yet
like to talk about their lack of education, knowledge, refinement and
culture.

I just don't get it.

Some groups are what you say and worse, but I don't get the point of
your post really, other than to put down others. If the discussions are
pointless and subhuman, why read them? There are many educated,
knowledgeable, refined, and cultured people on usenet, many the
opposite, and some in between. Usenet can be a valuable resource. I
search the archives all the time. But they have changed the links to
get to them a few times. But that's the beauty of usenet. I can ask on
a group, not sure which one, if anybody has a link to the current url
for google archives.

I plead guilty to jumping in and asking a quetion (as a poster mentioned
on another thread) without looking through a myriad of threads for the
same one that has already been asked recently. I only dl so many, and
headers can be misleading, plus there is the general topic and sometimes
the discussion veers off into something else.

There are many intelligent, helpful people on usenet, and nothing beats
being able to interact with another human than with a server somewhere.
You can get answers really fast sometimes on usenet, too, that you
could do umpteen searches on google and maybe finally dig out or not. I
can't tell you how many times people have steered me to the right website.

Somebody here identified a plant for me, a bird somewhere else, help
with computer problems, etc., etc., etc., and I posted a photo of an
arbor I had searched and searched for using google. They had seen kits
for one. I did have to google some more, but I finally found it. Once
I had a name for the model(s), I could find it in a snap. I can't find
this certain purple aster I'd like by googling. It would be hard to
describe. The petals are like fringe only upright. I found a similar
one but has white around the edges.

If you happen to be expert or knowledgeable on a certain subject, its
generous of people to be willing to share that knowledge and be helpful
to others.

For the answer to that, I'll have to ask the lady who brought one to a
meeting (she won a prize for it, I just want it because it is pretty and
would work well in a new garden area I'm planning) and hope she
remembers the name of it.

Steve ;-)

Maybe you are just bored and want to yank a few chains? ;-)

Old 09-11-2007, 08:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

"SteveB" wrote in message
Why doesn't everyone just Google everything?

I mean, there are people who vehemently believe that EVERY QUESTION IN THE
KNOWN UNIVERSE can be answered by Googling.

Ergo: Usenet Newsgroups are useless and pointless. Mental masturbation.
Pointless discussion by inferior human beings who don't know everything, yet
like to talk about their lack of education, knowledge, refinement and
culture.

I just don't get it.

Steve ;-)

In the composting thread I stayed away from the argument over form, approach
and style. I thought it possible that you deserved the benefit of the doubt,
you might be genuine but caught up in a silly ****ing competition that neither
you nor some regular curmudgeons knew how to end.

Now you produce a new thread with no on-topic content simply to re-energize
the argument. You have removed the doubt - now you are just trolling.

David

Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sheldon wrote:
On Nov 8, 2:00?pm, "Not@home" wrote:
I agree that one should look in the newsgroup before posting, but the
unfortunate fact is that usenet is falling into disuse, as most people
find a web search a more efficient way of finding information.

Nonsense.

Searching this Newsgroup for compost results in many relevant
threads that have been discussed here, many recently. SteveB has
proven that he is an extremely otiose obnoxious small minded infantile
troll.

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...=Search+Groups

The nonsense is that you are advocating doing a web based search using
google, when you apparently think you are doing a usenet search. In
other words, if google didn't copy the usenet posts into their website,
you wouldn't find them. Usenet and the web were, and are, separate
entities, and you can still use usenet exclusively using a reader,
rather than a web browser. I don't use internet explorer enough to be
certain, but I believe is does not contain a news reader, so it will
only find web based information. If the google company chooses to not
copy some newsgroups, your search will never find them.

Unfortunately, apparently using newsgroups is not practiced by many
people any more, so many browsers now are published without a reader
component, and many ISPs are no longer carrying usenet. I started years
ago with the boards, and usenet seemed a natural progression; but none
of my three kids spends any time on usenet. I guess thats progress.

I agree with your evaluation of the OP; he is here (but not, thank
goodness, in recent days) only to function as a troll. When I posted a
non-flattering response to him, he of course responded with what he
thought was a witty riposte. He was half-right.

When I posted in the same thread later, he accused me of morphing to
evade the filter he had set. The problem was I had not morphed and was
using the same identifying data, so apparently he cannot even set a
filter without assistance.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Not@home wrote:
I don't use internet explorer enough to be
certain, but I believe is does not contain a news reader, so it will
only find web based information. If the google company chooses to not
copy some newsgroups, your search will never find them.

IE6 had a newsreader, worked fine, you could attach files to binary
groups, and I was using it until the upgrade to IE7 was rekeased which
messed them all up. You could get to them, but in a convoluted way,
thru a url, and it messed it all up to the point that even after I
uninstaled it and went back to IE6, they were still ruined in that I got
headers in both the header pane and message pane, no messages, lost
patience and quit trying to troubleshoot that.

So I started using Netscape as my newsreader again, I liked an older
version of that better the way you could flag messages and threads,
didn't like the way OE did it, but it would crash and have probs from
time to time. The version of Netscape I am using works well enough for
my needs. I have since re-upgraded to IE7 but just use it for web
browsing. I was disappointed they did that.

So many netizens don't seem to even know usenet exists or how to access
and use it, assuming their ISP still carries the ng's. Fortunately,
Earthlink still does and has for a long time.

There are other several other ways to subscribe to ng's and access
usenet, but I've never tried them.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Google is fine in you know your question. If the question is not on
point neither will be the response. More important to me is how a usenet
query can point out possible relationships that an individual may not
think of. I think of usenet as a collective mind and goggle as a
library tool. Both useful.

Bill who also likes the human condition that usenet affords a glimpse
of.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade