Old 20-11-2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Indoor gardening under fluorescent lighting

I have an indoor garden under fluorescent lights operated with a
timer. I heard that using white gloss paint or aluminum foil
surrounding the plants helps, but that glass in mirrors absorb light
to benefit. Anyone hear this? I've always used aluminum foil but I
could get some inexpensive (free) mirrors. TIA
Old 20-11-2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have an indoor garden under fluorescent lights operated with a
timer. I heard that using white gloss paint or aluminum foil
surrounding the plants helps, but that glass in mirrors absorb light
to benefit. Anyone hear this? I've always used aluminum foil but I
could get some inexpensive (free) mirrors. TIA

"absorb light to benefit" - I don't understand. Did you mean to say
"reflects light"? If not, please explain.

Old 20-11-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:05:38 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
I have an indoor garden under fluorescent lights operated with a
timer. I heard that using white gloss paint or aluminum foil
surrounding the plants helps, but that glass in mirrors absorb light
to benefit. Anyone hear this? I've always used aluminum foil but I
could get some inexpensive (free) mirrors. TIA

"absorb light to benefit" - I don't understand. Did you mean to say
"reflects light"? If not, please explain.

Eliminate "to benefit." My mis-type and fault. Perhaps this is more
of a physics question. But to those who do indoor gardening under
lights, what do you use to maximize lumens while keeping heat and
costs down? I have found that fluorescent lights with large
reflectors are much better (at least in making African violets bloom)
than using lights without reflectors.
Old 20-11-2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have an indoor garden under fluorescent lights operated with a
timer. I heard that using white gloss paint or aluminum foil
surrounding the plants helps, but that glass in mirrors absorb light
to benefit. Anyone hear this? I've always used aluminum foil but I
could get some inexpensive (free) mirrors. TIA

"absorb light to benefit" - I don't understand. Did you mean to say
"reflects light"? If not, please explain.

Eliminate "to benefit." My mis-type and fault. Perhaps this is more
of a physics question. But to those who do indoor gardening under
lights, what do you use to maximize lumens while keeping heat and
costs down? I have found that fluorescent lights with large
reflectors are much better (at least in making African violets bloom)
than using lights without reflectors.

Your question about mirrors still doesn't make sense. Glass doesn't
absorb light. If it did, windows would block the sun and we would get no
reflected image from mirrors.

Fluorescent light works very well with plants indoors. Use reflectors.
Light colors on the walls and ceiling can help to reflect light back
into the room. Mirrors will reflect light harshly, and your plants will
admire themselves in them constantly which can be quite annoying.
Old 21-11-2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Glass does block a certain amount of light that passes through it..

Don't use mirrors... Use stark white sheets.. You can get white shower
liner sheets at Lowes cheap.. It's just flat plastic and will reflect
and diffuse a heck of alot more than mirrors.

Old 21-11-2007, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Search for Tileboard

$12 for 4' x 8' sheets.. Cheap.. Waterproof.. Good..

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...16605-19-16605

Used alot in grow rooms.. Which, beyond the fact that all they grow is
illegal stuff can be quite enlightening in the aspect of growing OTHER
plants in the basement.

Funny though.. All I'd found googling for grow room information was
about hash.. Oh well though.. Still translates to any other plant you
wish to grow in a basement or enclosed setting.

For research only.. I don't condone the use of cannabis.

http://www.bghydro.com/mmbgh/Images/GRHH2_plants.jpg
http://www.bghydro.com/mmbgh/Images/GRHH2_sys.jpg
http://www.weed-pics.com/cannabis_ga...0(1)%20(2).jpg

You'll note that in all of the examples, they're surrounded by stark
white. It's the best way..

Amazing info they've compiled if you look.. Alot of humidity and
lighting faqs and info.. See, they need to raise the stuff indoors to
the point to where it will thrive.

Can easily translate the info over into doing a room for... more legal
things..
Old 21-11-2007, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
. ..

I have an indoor garden under fluorescent lights operated with a
timer. I heard that using white gloss paint or aluminum foil
surrounding the plants helps, but that glass in mirrors absorb light
to benefit. Anyone hear this? I've always used aluminum foil but I
could get some inexpensive (free) mirrors. TIA

"absorb light to benefit" - I don't understand. Did you mean to say
"reflects light"? If not, please explain.

Eliminate "to benefit." My mis-type and fault. Perhaps this is more
of a physics question. But to those who do indoor gardening under
lights, what do you use to maximize lumens while keeping heat and
costs down? I have found that fluorescent lights with large
reflectors are much better (at least in making African violets bloom)
than using lights without reflectors.

I've read a lot about using mylar for reflectors but other than reading
sporting goods stores, don't know where to get it. I'm just using 2
pairs of cheap shop lights w/no reflectors. I built a pvc pipe frame
and the lights are just a little too close together, but I could still
rig up some reflectors to some advantage. I think the better lights
come with reflectors.

I've read interminable discussions about lumens, other kinds of lights,
can't follow all that yet. I need to keep the heat in the daytime
between 72-75F, but I turn it down at night and hope enough is trapped.
Mine are in the dining room because the basement is too cold and
don't want to bother with thermometers and bottom heat yet.

My neighbor threw away some new white shades, one wide. I'm going to
use those to block the sun and also may help with reflecting. I'm
rooting roses & one stubborn clematis enclosed in plastic. The sun can
fry the leaves until they are potted up, covers removed, and hardened
off gradually.

The lights are cool to the touch, only have one pair going on a timer,
16 hrs/day and don't know how it is affecting my electric bill yet.
Don't care. Yet.

Old 21-11-2007, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Pennyaline wrote:
Your question about mirrors still doesn't make sense. Glass doesn't
absorb light. If it did, windows would block the sun and we would get
no reflected image from mirrors.

Glass does block a certain amount of light that passes through it..

Yes, dear. But if glass "absorbed" light windows would block out the sun
nearly entirely, and mirrors would be dark patches on the wall.
Old 21-11-2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default a source for mylar, kind of expensive but if it works better. . .

wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
. ..

I have an indoor garden under fluorescent lights operated with a
timer. I heard that using white gloss paint or aluminum foil
surrounding the plants helps, but that glass in mirrors absorb light
to benefit. Anyone hear this? I've always used aluminum foil but I
could get some inexpensive (free) mirrors. TIA

"absorb light to benefit" - I don't understand. Did you mean to say
"reflects light"? If not, please explain.

Eliminate "to benefit." My mis-type and fault. Perhaps this is more
of a physics question. But to those who do indoor gardening under
lights, what do you use to maximize lumens while keeping heat and
costs down? I have found that fluorescent lights with large
reflectors are much better (at least in making African violets bloom)
than using lights without reflectors.

I was doing a little googling re Scott's hydroponics comment and came up
with this:

http://www.tcs-hydroponics.com/doc/misc.htm#mylar

Old 21-11-2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Smaller pieces
http://scientificsonline.com/product..._-edmu-_-mylar

Probably costs more per sq ft, but if it's all you need then why get
more?

Old 21-11-2007, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Pennyaline wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Pennyaline wrote:
Your question about mirrors still doesn't make sense. Glass doesn't
absorb light. If it did, windows would block the sun and we would get
no reflected image from mirrors.

Glass does block a certain amount of light that passes through it..

Yes, dear. But if glass "absorbed" light windows would block out the sun
nearly entirely, and mirrors would be dark patches on the wall.

I could comment but I'll refrain.. And please don't call me dear.
Old 21-11-2007, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Darnit.. You made me search eBay... I spend enough $ on eBay.. Argh..

Did a search for "Hydroponics Mylar" and pulled up quite a few for
cheaper.. 25' for $27 shipped vs. $41.09 shipped at the other place..

Always check feedback..
Old 21-11-2007, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Thanks guys

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Definitely. I've gotten myself weaned away from ebay for the most part.
But why buy so much you aren't likely to use for a loooooong time?
Good point. I'm going to try to get by without it for now as I think I
need to tweak my setup first and get the right mix and right moisture
content. Then I'll worry about that.

Old 21-11-2007, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have an indoor garden under fluorescent lights operated with a
timer. I heard that using white gloss paint or aluminum foil
surrounding the plants helps, but that glass in mirrors absorb light
to benefit. Anyone hear this? I've always used aluminum foil but I
could get some inexpensive (free) mirrors. TIA

I used aluminum foil on my old 4 tear light garden. Then surrounded it all
with heavy plastic to keep in the heat and humidity. The top shelf was where
I put my seed flats in spring. The fluorescent light's heat caused rapid
germination.