Old 24-12-2007, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What kind of bush is this?

http://home.comcast.net/~dl1027/file...ct/foliage.jpg

It looks like it grows wild in the forested areas of California. That's all
I know about it.

Thanks

Old 25-12-2007, 11:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

"dave" nospam wrote in message
http://home.comcast.net/~dl1027/file...ct/foliage.jpg

It looks like it grows wild in the forested areas of California. That's
all I know about it.

It looks like broom (genista) but without a closeup of the flowers and
foliage it's a bit difficult to say with accuracy. It could have become a
weed plant in California as I believe parts of California has a similar
climate to this country and it is an invasive weed here.

Old 25-12-2007, 10:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"dave" nospam wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~dl1027/file...ct/foliage.jpg

It looks like it grows wild in the forested areas of California. That's all
I know about it.

Thanks

Kind of looks like Creosote bush, Larrea tridentata.
-----------------
-----------------
Old 26-12-2007, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 25, 3:34 am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"dave" nospam wrote in message
http://home.comcast.net/~dl1027/file...ct/foliage.jpg

It looks like it grows wild in the forested areas of California. That's
all I know about it.

It looks like broom (genista) but without a closeup of the flowers and
foliage it's a bit difficult to say with accuracy. It could have become a
weed plant in California as I believe parts of California has a similar
climate to this country and it is an invasive weed here.

Yes I thought that at first glance, but broom has pea-type flowers and
its really difficult to tell if the flowers are pea like or not.
Broom is a noxious weed here in Northern California, you are correct
there. Our chapter of the Native Plant Society has a "broom bashing"
group that goes out and pulls it up with weed wrenches. Its a very
serious fire hazard. And crowds out native plants that are useful to
wildlife.

Maybe Dave could describe the flowers a little bit???
Emilie
NorCal
Old 26-12-2007, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 25, 2:19 pm, Amos Nomore wrote:
In article ,

"dave" nospam wrote:
http://home.comcast.net/~dl1027/file...ct/foliage.jpg

It looks like it grows wild in the forested areas of California. That's all
I know about it.

Thanks

Kind of looks like Creosote bush, Larrea tridentata.

After thinking it looked like broom, Larrea was my second thought,
However I have never seen Creosote in what the poster calls
"a forested area" Desert, yes............

Dave, we need your help: describe the flowers if you can, and
what/where is the forested area??
Emilie

Old 26-12-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks. Some good suggestions here. The photo I showed looks like it was
taken in or near Seqouia Park which is in the sierras south of Yosemite.
I'd say the elevation is about 2,000 or 4,000 feet. There are many pine
trees there and this brush is mixed in. It looks to be 10 to 15 feet tall.
The photo was taken in May at the height of the spring bloom. It looks like
it has rounded green leafs with yellow flowers sprouting from leaf clusters.

Dave

Old 26-12-2007, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

I think this is it. French Broom.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/naturescience/badgemu.htm

Thanks so much to all.

Dave

Old 26-12-2007, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

"dave" nospam wrote in message
. ..
I think this is it. French Broom.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/naturescience/badgemu.htm

Before you decide that it is this sort of broom, you really need to check
out the foliage more closely. There are multiple brooms and the foliage can
be one indicator of what type it is.

Old 26-12-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"dave" nospam wrote in message
. ..
I think this is it. French Broom.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/naturescience/badgemu.htm

Before you decide that it is this sort of broom, you really need to check
out the foliage more closely. There are multiple brooms and the foliage
can be one indicator of what type it is.

Hi FarmI,

I wish that were possible. Unfortunately all I have is the picture.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 26-12-2007, 10:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 26, 11:46 am, "dave" nospam wrote:
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in ...

"dave" nospam wrote in message
I think this is it. French Broom.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/naturescience/badgemu.htm

Before you decide that it is this sort of broom, you really need to check
out the foliage more closely. There are multiple brooms and the foliage
can be one indicator of what type it is.

Hi FarmI,

I wish that were possible. Unfortunately all I have is the picture.

Thanks,
Dave

If it is of any help, The brooms are as follows:
French Genista
Spanish Spartium
Scotch Cytisus
(all are invasive exotics)
Emilie

Old 30-12-2007, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 15:08:50 -0800, "dave" nospam wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~dl1027/file...ct/foliage.jpg

It looks like it grows wild in the forested areas of California. That's all
I know about it.

Thanks

check out Fremontedendron californica