Old 11-07-2005, 04:14 PM
jeffrey lohn

Default Novice has Landscaping Question?

We have a small gargae type building in urban NYC... and next to it is a
plot of land(part of the property) which gets a lot of sun. We're
converting the garge to resedentail/studio space and would LOVE to
landscape the empty land. (it's about 60 feet x 20 feet)... with some
trees, shrubs..bit of grass etc.
QUESTION. can you begin a landscasping project like this in late JULY...
or do we have to wait till next SPRING?

thanx for suggestions!!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Jack

Although you can plant anytime, there is usually a lot of extra TLC needed
at this time of year. If it is hot (like it is today in NYC), plants go
through tremendous stress.

I would wait till spring. You could do it in the fall if you can't wait
until spring. In the meantime, it would be a good time to prep the soil. I
think adding ammendments, tilling them in (by hand or machine), then letting
the bed sit until spring would be the way to go.

Old 11-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Vox Humana

"jeffrey lohn" wrote in message
We have a small gargae type building in urban NYC... and next to it is a
plot of land(part of the property) which gets a lot of sun. We're
converting the garge to resedentail/studio space and would LOVE to
landscape the empty land. (it's about 60 feet x 20 feet)... with some
trees, shrubs..bit of grass etc.
QUESTION. can you begin a landscasping project like this in late JULY...
or do we have to wait till next SPRING?

thanx for suggestions!!

Fall can be a great time to plant and you can often find deep discounts on
trees and shrubs because nurseries don't want to carry them over until
spring. This is a good time to come up with a design and prep the area.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Travis

jeffrey lohn wrote:
We have a small gargae type building in urban NYC... and next to it
is a plot of land(part of the property) which gets a lot of sun.
We're converting the garge to resedentail/studio space and would
LOVE to landscape the empty land. (it's about 60 feet x 20 feet)...
with some trees, shrubs..bit of grass etc.
QUESTION. can you begin a landscasping project like this in late
JULY... or do we have to wait till next SPRING?

thanx for suggestions!!

After you check the soil for contaniments you can begin amending it and
probably plant a cover crop now and again in the fall. You will have to
turn it under before it goes to seed.

I'm not familiar with the weather conditions there so I can't advise on
what plants might do well at this time of year if there are any.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

[IMG] code is On

Novice Question. Santos D. Santiago Gardening 15 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
Novice question: Cape Honeysuckle/Los Angeles area Ravi Gardening 1 10-07-2004 12:02 AM
Novice with a sod question Mark Darbyshire Gardening 2 06-08-2003 07:32 PM
A novice question Bernie Gardening 2 22-07-2003 06:22 AM
novice orchid question Carol Orchids 3 20-06-2003 05:32 AM