Old 10-07-2004, 07:02 AM

Default Blank Slate Landscaping Question

When an area becomes really overgrown (and includes invasives like
Ailanthus and Oriental Bittersweet) is there any real remedy except to
tear it up with a backhoe and start from scratch?

I have an area of my yard that is totally overgrown in yukka
plants,periwinkl, Ailanthus, Oriental Bittersweet, and Wysteria (and a
few others) and I just don't know what to do with it. I haven't yet
acquired the landscaping "vision". Any ideas?

-Chess

Old 10-07-2004, 08:02 PM
David J Bockman

Yes, there are alternatives that are much more considerate of the tilth and
aeration of the existing soil. Google 'solarizing soil' or 'solarization'
for great ideas.

Dave

Old 10-07-2004, 08:02 PM
simy1

" wrote in message ...
When an area becomes really overgrown (and includes invasives like
Ailanthus and Oriental Bittersweet) is there any real remedy except to
tear it up with a backhoe and start from scratch?

I have an area of my yard that is totally overgrown in yukka
plants,periwinkl, Ailanthus, Oriental Bittersweet, and Wysteria (and a
few others) and I just don't know what to do with it. I haven't yet
acquired the landscaping "vision". Any ideas?

-Chess

I can't think that way. I would go about with a paint brush and a
bottle of Roundup, and start to selectively kill the stuff I am sure I
don't want (by painting leaves). After three weeks pull dead plants,
see what picture emerges, kill a few more, see if it improves,
consider a trellis for wisteria in the background, etc. I'd suppose a
periwinkle cover could be desirable, as would some of the best
specimens of yucca or wisteria, depending on size and location. They
are there, free of charge and healthy, well adapted to the site, so
why waste them.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:40 PM

On 9 Jul 2004 22:41:20 -0700, "
wrote:

When an area becomes really overgrown (and includes invasives like
Ailanthus and Oriental Bittersweet) is there any real remedy except to
tear it up with a backhoe and start from scratch?

I have an area of my yard that is totally overgrown in yukka
plants,periwinkl, Ailanthus, Oriental Bittersweet, and Wysteria (and a
few others) and I just don't know what to do with it. I haven't yet
acquired the landscaping "vision". Any ideas?

-Chess

Chess,
A wonderful idea would be to turn that overgrown area into a Water
Garden or Pond. You could get several other possibilities if you go
and wonder around the website
www.backyard-lifestyle.com

Some of the best pricing on Water Garden equipment is at
www.bestpondstuff.com

I hope this helps,
Norman