Old 27-02-2008, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default computer question 2

On VISTA Norton's firewall is not allowing websites to be viewed at all.
Just as if there was no internet connection. We can send and recieve email
but we have to turn off Nortons firewall to view any webpages.
We are on a dial up connection. Very fustrating. Anyone have a clue?
Norton said Microsoft Generic Host should be on but could not find that
specific option in Vista. Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

John the non-computer expert.

Old 27-02-2008, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

On VISTA Norton's firewall is not allowing websites to be viewed at all.
Just as if there was no internet connection. We can send and recieve email
but we have to turn off Nortons firewall to view any webpages.
We are on a dial up connection. Very fustrating. Anyone have a clue?
Norton said Microsoft Generic Host should be on but could not find that
specific option in Vista. Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

John the non-computer expert.

I have no clue.
The newsgroup "microsoft.public.windows.vista.general" should have
people that are better at solving vista computer problems than
"rec.gardens".

Dan the mac-computer expert.

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 27-02-2008, 11:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"symplastless" expounded:

On VISTA Norton's firewall is not allowing websites to be viewed at all.
Just as if there was no internet connection. We can send and recieve email
but we have to turn off Nortons firewall to view any webpages.
We are on a dial up connection. Very fustrating. Anyone have a clue?
Norton said Microsoft Generic Host should be on but could not find that
specific option in Vista. Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

John the non-computer expert.

Have you allowed your web browser to access the internet? It may be
the firewall has a setting where you allow whatever program to access.
Check the help file with Norton and see.

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 27-02-2008, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless wrote:
On VISTA Norton's firewall is not allowing websites to be viewed at all.
Just as if there was no internet connection. We can send and recieve email
but we have to turn off Nortons firewall to view any webpages.
We are on a dial up connection. Very fustrating. Anyone have a clue?
Norton said Microsoft Generic Host should be on but could not find that
specific option in Vista. Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

John the non-computer expert.

Why are you using Norton antivirus when Comcast gives you McAfee for
free as part of the package and you have to pay for Norton? Also when I
got new computer with Vista, IE was extremely slow. Not sure why but
Firefox is much better.

Frank
Old 27-02-2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in
:

symplastless wrote:
On VISTA Norton's firewall is not allowing websites to be
viewed at all. Just as if there was no internet
connection. We can send and recieve email but we have to
turn off Nortons firewall to view any webpages. We are on
a dial up connection. Very fustrating. Anyone have a
clue? Norton said Microsoft Generic Host should be on but
could not find that specific option in Vista. Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

John the non-computer expert.

Why are you using Norton antivirus when Comcast gives you
McAfee for free as part of the package and you have to pay
for Norton? Also when I got new computer with Vista, IE
was extremely slow. Not sure why but Firefox is much
better.

because IE sucks.
firefox *is* much better.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Old 27-02-2008, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

On VISTA Norton's firewall is not allowing websites to be viewed at all.
Just as if there was no internet connection. We can send and recieve
email
but we have to turn off Nortons firewall to view any webpages.
We are on a dial up connection. Very fustrating. Anyone have a clue?
Norton said Microsoft Generic Host should be on but could not find that
specific option in Vista. Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

John the non-computer expert.

I have no clue.
The newsgroup "microsoft.public.windows.vista.general" should have
people that are better at solving vista computer problems than
"rec.gardens".

That makes too much sense, Dan.

Old 27-02-2008, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless wrote:

On VISTA Norton's firewall is not allowing websites to be
viewed at all. Just as if there was no internet
connection. We can send and recieve email but we have to
turn off Nortons firewall to view any webpages. We are on
a dial up connection. Very fustrating. Anyone have a
clue? Norton said Microsoft Generic Host should be on but
could not find that specific option in Vista. Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

John the non-computer expert.

Why are you using Norton antivirus when Comcast gives you
McAfee for free as part of the package and you have to pay
for Norton? Also when I got new computer with Vista, IE
was extremely slow. Not sure why but Firefox is much
better.

because IE sucks.
firefox *is* much better.
lee

And Firefox 2 is even better and MUCH more secure than Microsoft IE.
--
Bill R.

Remove nospam_ and x in e-mail address to reply by e-mail
Old 27-02-2008, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

symplastless said:

On VISTA Norton's firewall is not allowing websites to be viewed at all.
Just as if there was no internet connection. We can send and recieve email
but we have to turn off Nortons firewall to view any webpages.
We are on a dial up connection. Very fustrating. Anyone have a clue?
Norton said Microsoft Generic Host should be on but could not find that
specific option in Vista. Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

John the non-computer expert.

There's nothing wrong with the Firewall, or the computer. The Internet is
just offline.

--

Eggs

-A hair in the head is worth two in the brush.
Old 28-02-2008, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:50:34 -0600, Eggs Zachtly
wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the Firewall, or the computer. The Internet is
just offline.

You wouldn't get email if the Internet owas offline. Your setting is
too high priority and your anti virus is preventing you from accessing
the WWW. I hate Norton and use the free version of AVG.

Also, why ask a gardening group this question? There are no computer
newsgroups on Usenet?

This is the second time he's asked a computer question here, even though
there are plenty of computer newsgroups, including those run by Microsoft,
where he could get a perfect response in half a day at the most.

But, he asks the questions here because he thinks it'll somehow distract us
from his disorder.

Old 28-02-2008, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
On VISTA Norton's firewall is not allowing websites to be viewed at all.
Just as if there was no internet connection. We can send and recieve
email but we have to turn off Nortons firewall to view any webpages.
We are on a dial up connection. Very fustrating. Anyone have a clue?
Norton said Microsoft Generic Host should be on but could not find that
specific option in Vista. Any clue?

Thanks in advance.

John the non-computer expert.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Old 28-02-2008, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
[...]

:-) You just won a virtual beer. :-)

Old 28-02-2008, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sorry I hit the wrong sig. After being told we had to reformat and
reinstall, which I was willing to return computer rather than that, we found
out that the iexporer.exe file in the firewall settings was corrupt. I
removed it and reinstalled it and all is well.

Thanks for your help.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

Old 28-02-2008, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the Firewall, or the computer. The Internet is
just offline.

You wouldn't get email if the Internet owas offline. Your setting is
too high priority and your anti virus is preventing you from accessing
the WWW. I hate Norton and use the free version of AVG.

Also, why ask a gardening group this question? There are no computer
newsgroups on Usenet?

This is the second time he's asked a computer question here, even though
there are plenty of computer newsgroups, including those run by Microsoft,
where he could get a perfect response in half a day at the most.

But, he asks the questions here because he thinks it'll somehow distract
us from his disorder.

What are you crazy. Sorry I thought you might have a solution. My mistake
and my disorder.

Old 28-02-2008, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Many computer problems can be solved by posting in a computer newsgroup.
Now, go do something useful. Clean the lint trap in your head.

Old 28-02-2008, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the Firewall, or the computer. The Internet is
just offline.

You wouldn't get email if the Internet owas offline. Your setting is
too high priority and your anti virus is preventing you from accessing
the WWW. I hate Norton and use the free version of AVG.

Also, why ask a gardening group this question? There are no computer
newsgroups on Usenet?

I was being facetious. =)

--

Eggs

One nice thing about egotists... they don't talk about other people.

[IMG] code is On

computer question K Barrett Orchids 5 09-12-2008 04:14 PM
OT question for computer-y people Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 43 18-04-2008 06:56 PM
computer question symplastless Gardening 40 19-02-2008 03:49 PM
OT computer/newsgroup question Sacha United Kingdom 3 22-05-2006 09:03 PM
OT Computer question for the tech minded Andrew G Australia 12 01-12-2004 09:46 AM