Old 08-03-2008, 12:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Hanging plants

Steve wrote in
ews.com:

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 03:17:20 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

i like to mess with fiber, both animal & vegetable (you can
spin milkweed, you know). spinning, dying, making it into
something. not necessarily useful, but sometimes just
amusing or cute.

Seen this?
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/24076
Vegetable Dyes by Ethel M. Mairet

no, i hadn't. thank you! the chapter on lichen dyes is
particularly interesting.
the book i have is Dyer's Garden by Rita Buchanan, who is
relatively local (same state). Dyer's Garden may be out of
print now, mine is over 10 years old, but i noticed she has a
new Weaver's Garden book out last time i was at Border's.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 08-03-2008, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Steve wrote in
ews.com:

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 21:25:04 -0600, Charlie wrote:

They are one of
only four seedsmen I use any more.

OK, cough it up.
You named two, who would the others be?

Waterboarding is reasonable when used to extract supplier
info...

i get nice heirloom seeds from Lisa at amishlandseeds.com
it's a one person operation, but IME service is prompt, or she
communicates delays.
i ordered some green tomatoes from her last spring & she sent
the ones i ordered with a note that they tend to have
germination problems & a free full packet of another green
variety she thought might be better suited. oddly, my
germination rate with the 'difficult' variety was 99%, and
both varieties were wonderful, although i think i'm still not
so great at telling when they're ripe
lee
Old 08-03-2008, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in
:

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:32:39 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Steve wrote in
ynews.com:

i get nice heirloom seeds from Lisa at amishlandseeds.com
it's a one person operation, but IME service is prompt, or
she communicates delays.
i ordered some green tomatoes from her last spring & she
sent
the ones i ordered with a note that they tend to have
germination problems & a free full packet of another green
variety she thought might be better suited. oddly, my
germination rate with the 'difficult' variety was 99%, and
both varieties were wonderful, although i think i'm still
not so great at telling when they're ripe

Thanks Lee. I have been trying to simplify my life and you
just complicated it a bit. I spent the last thirty minutes
nosing about her site. Of course I found things I
*need*......

heh. i grew 48 varieties of tomatoes last summer... and 16
peppers. i am *not* obsessive!
lee
Old 08-03-2008, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Charlie wrote in
:

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 12:32:39 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Steve wrote in
ynews.com:

i get nice heirloom seeds from Lisa at amishlandseeds.com
it's a one person operation, but IME service is prompt, or
she communicates delays.
i ordered some green tomatoes from her last spring & she
sent
the ones i ordered with a note that they tend to have
germination problems & a free full packet of another green
variety she thought might be better suited. oddly, my
germination rate with the 'difficult' variety was 99%, and
both varieties were wonderful, although i think i'm still
not so great at telling when they're ripe

Thanks Lee. I have been trying to simplify my life and you
just complicated it a bit. I spent the last thirty minutes
nosing about her site. Of course I found things I
*need*......

heh. i grew 48 varieties of tomatoes last summer... and 16
peppers. i am *not* obsessive!
lee

I would remind you that extremism in the pursuit of 'maters is no vice!
And let me remind you also, that moderation in the defense of peppers is
no virtue.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 08-03-2008, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:27:11 GMT, Steve wrote:

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:24:46 -0600, Charlie wrote:

Ok ok.....but you'll never get the location of me morel foraging
spots!!!

Vee have vays to make you talk.

Quick story:
We had a fire up near a place I like to fish. I went up a couple of
weeks or so after they reopened the area to survey the damage.
I was surprised to see about 6 guys "wandering" through the burn area.

Little did I know...

Yes indeed!

Shhhhh........don't tell anyone!

Charlie

What? That morels grow in the burn areas of pine forests. What do I look
like a dummy?

Old 08-03-2008, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in
:

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 17:24:37 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

heh. i grew 48 varieties of tomatoes last summer... and 16
peppers. i am *not* obsessive!
lee

Well shoot...you should be able to squeeze in a few more of
each, right? That little space over there, and, oh, that
looks like a good place fr a couple of pots and....... ;-)

i have 62 acres, but the veggie garden is only about half an
acre. i have no problems sticking tomatoes & peppers in the
flower gardens though and yes, i do grow some in pots &
buckets.
lee