Old 05-03-2008, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Hanging plants

Billy wrote:
I have four hanging baskets that I want to plant with something. It's a
toss up between strawberries and flowers. I could us some advice on the
type of strawberry or some help in finding flowering plants that will
cascade. Nasturtium is one choice because it already grows like a weed
here. I'm in USDA 9b, 70 miles north of San Francisco, in the costal
hills, the baskets will get 6 - 8 hrs of full sun and some partial sun.

Thanks for any help.
--

Billy

Sweet potato vine
Morning Glory
Lobelia
Sedums small ones cascade over edge
Angelina is a newer one that is a bright lime/
chartreuse
Sweet Alyssum
Portulaca
Nierembergia

Emilie
NorCal
Old 06-03-2008, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:05:01 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:04:25 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

My mom always planted petunias. They always did fine in direct sunlight,
but they don't cascade like you want.

Last summer we planted old fashioned vining petunias in hanging
containers and they do cascade several feet. They are not as heavily
flowered as the hybrid types, but they are highly perfumed. We had
ours hanging both in full sunlight and some in partial sun...six hours
morning direct sun.

Care
Charlie

I'd never heard of those. :-)
I'll have to look for them.

No need to look... :-)

Here they are......you have to scroll down to them, the petunia page
address won't display when I paste the address....???? Who knows.

http://seedsavers.org/products.asp?d...on=&sort_by =

Seedsavers is a great organization to support and their seeds are
excellant.

Care
Charlie

Thanks Charlie!

That was very kind. :-)
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain
Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 09:59:06 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

That was very kind. :-)

;-) Glad you noticed. I'm tryin'!

Charlie

Cheers!

Old 07-03-2008, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

On 3/4/2008 6:05 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 3/4/2008 9:41 AM, Billy wrote:
I have four hanging baskets that I want to plant with something. It's a
toss up between strawberries and flowers. I could us some advice on the
type of strawberry or some help in finding flowering plants that will
cascade. Nasturtium is one choice because it already grows like a weed
here. I'm in USDA 9b, 70 miles north of San Francisco, in the costal
hills, the baskets will get 6 - 8 hrs of full sun and some partial sun.

Thanks for any help.

A former neighbor had an azalea with double white flowers in a hanging
planter. It grew out and down, almost hiding the planter; and it
bloomed most of year. This was in an area that got afternoon sun with
100F+ summer temperatures, so I don't think a lack of shade would be a
problem in your area. However, depending on the size of the planter and
the potting mix, it might require daily watering. Unfortunately, I have
no idea what variety of azalea it was.

As for impatiens, you should inquire at a local nursery. In your area,
you might be able to grow it in full sun.

You might also consider "ground cover" roses. These are small,
shrub-like roses that grow more outward than upward. They are larger
than miniature roses. In a hanging basket without the ground to support
the thin branches, they should hang down. Some will bloom almost
continuously throughout the year.

I'm looking at a catalogue from Otto & Sons in Fillmore (Ventura County,
CA). They list the following as suitable for coastal climates:

'Flower Carpet' (in pink, apple blossom, red, white, and yellow varieties)

'Sun Runner' (yellow)

Note: I am not recommending Otto & Sons. I don't know the quality of
their plants. I got their catalogue when I made my first purchase there
today.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

David

Thank you David, I'll keep that in mind but this year i've committed to
pansies. I've made a note of your suggestion and if the pansies don't
work out I'll revisit your suggestion. Thank you for your advice.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi
Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article1248.shtml

Old 07-03-2008, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

David

Thank you David, I'll keep that in mind but this year i've
committed to pansies. I've made a note of your suggestion
and if the pansies don't work out I'll revisit your
suggestion. Thank you for your advice.

pansies? i thought it was petunias. if you find any trailing
pansies i want to know about them too!
BTW, which variety of petunias were you going with? i like
the old style ones at Richter's.
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 07-03-2008, 05:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

David

Thank you David, I'll keep that in mind but this year i've
committed to pansies. I've made a note of your suggestion
and if the pansies don't work out I'll revisit your
suggestion. Thank you for your advice.

pansies? i thought it was petunias. if you find any trailing
pansies i want to know about them too!
BTW, which variety of petunias were you going with? i like
the old style ones at Richter's.
lee

You should have been around when I had the Sun rising in the west:-)
Petunias it is: Old Fashioned Vining Petunia $2.75/packet

I looked at Richter's site but a search for petunias came up empty.

You can thank Charlie for the URL
http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=53(OG)

I can hardly wait until May, when I can be out in my garden, but it
seems gardening is actually preparing to garden by preparing for the
future.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

You should have been around when I had the Sun rising in
the west:-) Petunias it is: Old Fashioned Vining Petunia
$2.75/packet

darn. i wanted some trailing pansies

I looked at Richter's site but a search for petunias came
up empty.

maybe i was thinking of Seedsavers... see, not just you.
Richter's has madder & woad, which i need for the dyer's
garden.

You can thank Charlie for the URL
http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=53(OG)

thank you Charlie! i saw some tomatoes i want there too.

I can hardly wait until May, when I can be out in my
garden, but it seems gardening is actually preparing to
garden by preparing for the future.

i can start seeds indoors in May. maybe some lettuces on the
plastic wrapped porch in May...
lee

Old 07-03-2008, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Richter's has madder & woad, which i need for the dyer's
garden.

?????

Why don't you just sink a post in front of me? I walked right into that
one.

I peeled back the edge enough to peek into another ancient universe that
may become new again. Feel like I'm putting down roots myself.

You're a sometimes weaver then, are you Lee?

You've made my day, thanks:-)

Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Richter's has madder & woad, which i need for the dyer's
garden.

?????

Why don't you just sink a post in front of me? I walked right into that
one.

I peeled back the edge enough to peek into another ancient universe that
may become new again. Feel like I'm putting down roots myself.

You're a sometimes weaver then, are you Lee?

You've made my day, thanks:-)

I've got a weird wonderful booklet. Rocky Mountain Dye Plants by Anne
Bliss. It is a ringed booklet.

Library of Congress #76-376143 Year 1976

Lee

If you want it send me your snail mail to and I'll
give it to you. Would be good to know someone can use it.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

http://improve-usenet.org/

Old 07-03-2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Richter's has madder & woad, which i need for the dyer's
garden.

?????

Why don't you just sink a post in front of me? I walked right into that
one.

I peeled back the edge enough to peek into another ancient universe that
may become new again. Feel like I'm putting down roots myself.

You're a sometimes weaver then, are you Lee?

You've made my day, thanks:-)

I've got a weird wonderful booklet. Rocky Mountain Dye Plants by Anne
Bliss. It is a ringed booklet.

Library of Congress #76-376143 Year 1976

Lee

If you want it send me your snail mail to and I'll
give it to you. Would be good to know someone can use it.

Bill

I'll be writing. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Richter's has madder & woad, which i need for the dyer's
garden.
?????

Why don't you just sink a post in front of me? I walked right into that
one.

I peeled back the edge enough to peek into another ancient universe that
may become new again. Feel like I'm putting down roots myself.

You're a sometimes weaver then, are you Lee?

You've made my day, thanks:-)

I've got a weird wonderful booklet. Rocky Mountain Dye Plants by Anne
Bliss. It is a ringed booklet.

Library of Congress #76-376143 Year 1976

Lee

If you want it send me your snail mail to and I'll
give it to you. Would be good to know someone can use it.

Bill

I'll be writing. Thanks.

Already promised to lee next week.

Perhaps you folks can share if it is of value.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 08-03-2008, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

[...]

Na. It'll have a good home.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article

.net.au,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Richter's has madder & woad, which i need for the dyer's
garden.

?????

Why don't you just sink a post in front of me? I walked
right into that one.

I peeled back the edge enough to peek into another ancient
universe that may become new again. Feel like I'm putting
down roots myself.

You're a sometimes weaver then, are you Lee?

somehow this post never hit my server. if Bill hadn't quoted
it, i'd never have seen it...
i *can* weave. i would love a floor loom (or a jack loom). i
have a small tapestry loom that is good for both fiber & bead
weaving. mostly i knit right now, but i'd like to weave rugs.
i like to mess with fiber, both animal & vegetable (you can
spin milkweed, you know). spinning, dying, making it into
something. not necessarily useful, but sometimes just amusing
or cute.
i do a lot of things. gardening, woodworking, fiber stuff,
beads, hot glass, brewing, baking. i'd do more probably if i
got away from the computer more

You've made my day, thanks:-)

?
well, good. i like learning new stuff & i need to keep my
hands busy.
lee
Old 08-03-2008, 05:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article . com,
Steve wrote:

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 03:17:20 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

i like to mess with fiber, both animal & vegetable (you can
spin milkweed, you know). spinning, dying, making it into
something. not necessarily useful, but sometimes just amusing
or cute.

Seen this?
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/24076
Vegetable Dyes by Ethel M. Mairet