Old 13-03-2008, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Decorative bark

I thought I'd spread some decorative bark on
the ground of the flower beds and between
some bushes, where the adobe soil otherwise
gets cracked and bare. It's supposed to
hold down weeds and retain moisture. So,
is there any downside to using it? Or, is
it just good organic matter anyway?

Thanks.

J.

Old 13-03-2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"zzznot" wrote in message
I thought I'd spread some decorative bark on
the ground of the flower beds and between
some bushes, where the adobe soil otherwise
gets cracked and bare. It's supposed to
hold down weeds and retain moisture. So,
is there any downside to using it? Or, is
it just good organic matter anyway?

Thanks.

J.

My experience is limited to cedar bark, in both chip and shredded form. In
dry weather, the chips blow around. Either that or the squirrels play soccer
with them. And, they don't form a nice mat. The shredded bark tends to stay
put. I put down a 4" layer and it lasts a couple of years. Color fades, but
never looks weird. Speaking of which, do not under any circumstances buy the
stupid artificially colored mulch. Nasty. Ugly. My neighbor uses it. He says
"When people see it, they know I've been gardening."

Wrong. People know you think Fingerhut is an upscale shopping experience.
:-)

Old 13-03-2008, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"zzznot" wrote in message
I thought I'd spread some decorative bark on
the ground of the flower beds and between
some bushes, where the adobe soil otherwise
gets cracked and bare. It's supposed to
hold down weeds and retain moisture. So,
is there any downside to using it? Or, is
it just good organic matter anyway?

Thanks.

J.

Try to keep chips away from wooden structures you value. How far you
think? I'd go 2 or 3 feet depending on your clime. Termites and
critters. Not good.
For that matter the idea of foundation planting would benefit from
space from the dwelling and those little plants can get big. Adobe soil
means clay with little microbe life i guess.

Where do you live about?

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 13-03-2008, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"zzznot" wrote in message
I thought I'd spread some decorative bark on
the ground of the flower beds and between
some bushes, where the adobe soil otherwise
gets cracked and bare. It's supposed to
hold down weeds and retain moisture. So,
is there any downside to using it? Or, is
it just good organic matter anyway?

Thanks.

J.

Try to keep chips away from wooden structures you value. How far you
think? I'd go 2 or 3 feet depending on your clime. Termites and
critters. Not good.
For that matter the idea of foundation planting would benefit from
space from the dwelling and those little plants can get big. Adobe soil
means clay with little microbe life i guess.

Where do you live about?

Bill

Rochester, Nueva York

Old 13-03-2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"zzznot" wrote in message
I thought I'd spread some decorative bark on
the ground of the flower beds and between
some bushes, where the adobe soil otherwise
gets cracked and bare. It's supposed to
hold down weeds and retain moisture. So,
is there any downside to using it? Or, is
it just good organic matter anyway?

Thanks.

J.

Try to keep chips away from wooden structures you value. How far you
think? I'd go 2 or 3 feet depending on your clime. Termites and
critters. Not good.
For that matter the idea of foundation planting would benefit from
space from the dwelling and those little plants can get big. Adobe soil
means clay with little microbe life i guess.

Where do you live about?

Bill

Rochester, Nueva York

Sic the dogs on 'em.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/

Old 13-03-2008, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"zzznot" wrote in message
[...]

Dogs on this property are called "targets".

Old 13-03-2008, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"zzznot" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry. Sic the targets on him.

Old 13-03-2008, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article sVdCj.21308$Qy3.12475@trnddc03,
"zzznot" wrote:

I thought I'd spread some decorative bark on
the ground of the flower beds and between
some bushes, where the adobe soil otherwise
gets cracked and bare. It's supposed to
hold down weeds and retain moisture. So,
is there any downside to using it? Or, is
it just good organic matter anyway?

Thanks.

J.

If you used a good mulch, like alfalfa, you would simultaneously feed
your plants and make good soil as well hold down weeds and retain
moisture.

--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 13-03-2008, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 13, 1:56�pm, "zzznot" wrote:
I thought I'd spread some decorative bark on
the ground of the flower beds and between
some bushes, where the adobe soil otherwise
gets cracked and bare. �It's supposed to
hold down weeds and retain moisture. �So,
is there any downside to using it? �Or, is
it just good organic matter anyway?

Pine bark nuggets work well. They're typically available in three
sizes, small. medium. and large. I like to use a mix of large and
medium piled about six inches deep. They are heavy enough that the
wind won't blow them around and wood eating insects do not eat pine
bark. The only drawback is if you have poor drainage causing large
puddles, then they may float away... it's best to contain them with
some sort of edging regardless, same as with any mulch.

http://www.thelandscapeshop.com/Hort.../Pine_Bark.htm
Old 13-03-2008, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:54:26 -0400, Bill
wrote:

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"zzznot" wrote in message
I thought I'd spread some decorative bark on
the ground of the flower beds and between
some bushes, where the adobe soil otherwise
gets cracked and bare. It's supposed to
hold down weeds and retain moisture. So,
is there any downside to using it? Or, is
it just good organic matter anyway?

Thanks.

J.

Try to keep chips away from wooden structures you value. How far you
think? I'd go 2 or 3 feet depending on your clime. Termites and
critters. Not good.
For that matter the idea of foundation planting would benefit from
space from the dwelling and those little plants can get big. Adobe soil
means clay with little microbe life i guess.

Where do you live about?

This is for Long Beach, California, 90807.

Good hint on the gap to the structure, which we pretty much follow
anyhow - and then have the Orkin guy come once a month and spray the
boundary.

J.

(excuse me posting from multiple workstations!)

Old 13-03-2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:19:38 -0800, Billy
wrote:

If you used a good mulch, like alfalfa, you would simultaneously feed
your plants and make good soil as well hold down weeds and retain
moisture.

What's been done here over the years is, when a new bush or bed is
planted, the adobe is modestly dug out, and the hole filled with some
kind of bedding soil. But somehow, a year or so later, it seems like
all adobe again! House could use a total relandscape, actually, I'm
just patching for now.

J.

Old 13-03-2008, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
JXStern wrote:

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:54:26 -0400, Bill
wrote:

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

"zzznot" wrote in message
[...]

I'd look into what you have the Orkin guy sprays for. Than I'd deprive
them of habitat. I have no idea what is bothersome in your area.
Here I bait boric acid and sugar for ants with a yearly dose of
pennyroyal essential oil along a few spots in my basement if I see any
carpenter ant sign. The latter is not toxic but it is effective smell
deterrent.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 14-03-2008, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:09:11 -0500, Jangchub
wrote:

Stuff called Deco Bark is not very beneficial in any way that I can
tell. It doesn't break down well, it mats and doesn't allow water to
get into the ground and gives nothing back to the soil. It is far
better to use any form of shredded mulch and use a three inch layer.
Several times a year fluff it up and get some air in there. I cheat
by putting a much thinner layer around the drip line of any plant,
including trees, or herbaceous annual/perennial plants. Easy for
water to get to the soil where the roots are that way.

Hmmm.

Well, I've only put down a modest amount so far, we should get some
rain this weekend, see how that goes, but then I think I'll check out
the local OSH for mulchey replacements.

(I've tried asking questions about this or that at a couple of OSH's
recently, and nobody seems to know anything about anything)

(I'm pretty much novice regarding anything larger than a sixteen inch
pot)

Thanks to all.

J.

Old 14-03-2008, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 13, 1:56�pm, "zzznot" wrote:
I thought I'd spread some decorative bark on
the ground of the flower beds and between
some bushes, where the adobe soil otherwise
gets cracked and bare. �It's supposed to
hold down weeds and retain moisture. �So,
is there any downside to using it? �Or, is
it just good organic matter anyway?

It's a bit pricey but for smaller areas buckwheat hulls make excellent
mulch.

https://tbmpy.com/product_yard.htm
Old 14-03-2008, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bark mulch is made up of mostly suberin which is long chains of fatty acids.
No cellulose avail. to feed the soil micros. That's the down side.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"zzznot" wrote in message
I thought I'd spread some decorative bark on
the ground of the flower beds and between
some bushes, where the adobe soil otherwise
gets cracked and bare. It's supposed to
hold down weeds and retain moisture. So,
is there any downside to using it? Or, is
it just good organic matter anyway?

Thanks.

J.

[IMG] code is On

Snake bark maple - dead bark kay United Kingdom 8 24-05-2010 09:32 AM
Decorative bark Sheldon[_1_] Gardening 1 17-03-2008 07:13 AM
decorative Bridge question Larry D. Gibbs Ponds 4 08-07-2003 06:11 PM
Great Decorative Sprinklers d jones Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
Great Decorative Sprinklers d jones Lawns 3 04-12-2002 04:42 AM