Old 24-03-2008, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Newbie questions about pruning privet hedge

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

I am working on the three day deal. Your comments will be taken into
consideration.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

John, your stress is palpable. You are making simple reading mistakes.
We
don't know what is going on with you, but you seem to care, and we
don't
doubt your wanting to help.

Well i certainly doubt "wanting to help" explains persistent irrational
claims of expertise. If someone pretends to be a doctor and attempts to
give medical advice, that's overtly harmful and dangerous, also crazy if
the chap believes he's really a doctor. So too giving oneself all sorts
of
biology and arborist and forestry titles without any license or education
to back that up is just a tad loony.

So I rather suspect a mental disorder born of justifiably low self esteem
having given rise to a desire to be regarded as "the" expert without the
wherewithal to first obtain any expertise. We all tend to feel
transiently
expert in any topic for which we just finished reading and enjoying one
book. The sane don't persist for years and years in advertising such
expertise without basis in reality.

-paghat the ratgirl

So you take the person who compulsively washes their hands, and tie
their hands together? You saw the movie "M". What did Peter Lorre say
about compulsions? For Christ's sake, is it so freakin' difficult for
you to ignore his posts? And you claim to be "normal"?

I never claimed to be normal, maybe more so in middle age than I'm proud
of, but never entirely. But i do find it easy to ignore symptomless's
posts. I doubt I read more than one in 1,000 of his bazillion posts, and
that one only because I wasn't paying attention to what I was opening.
He's been doing this same stuff for years, has been chased away
periodically from sundry newsgroups, but always returns, sometimes with
amazing paranoid rants a boasts of mightiness in his imaginary realm.
There's never anything new so no reason to read it again -- but I greatly
enjoy reading peoples' responses, partly so as to be sure everyone already
knows not to take the advice seriously (they almost always do know that),
but even more because responders are often very witty and one of the cool
things about usenet is the comedy.

-paghat the ratgirl

First time I ever heard of mockery used to treat a "mental condition",
as you stated it. Instead of tormenting him, why not just ignore him?
What reptilian part of the mind is pleased by the torment of another?
Maybe you were one of those who went to see the geeks at the county fair.
The man of the day would tell you, "Inasmuch as you have done it to one
of the least of these my brothers, you have done it to me". Sleep well.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 24-03-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

"D. Staples" wrote in message

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 21:29:11 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Now you add educated but still have not told me what you mean when you
say
forester? What specifically do you do that helps a forest?

Far as I can see, here is the list:

# Timber and Land Appraisal

CUT
# Timber and Land Sales

CUT
# Timber Marketing

CUT
# Estimates of Timber Volume

CUT
# Boundary Line Maintenance

CUT
# Land Acquisition and Sales

CUT
# Salvage And Restoration

CUT CUT
# Management Plans

CUT
# Forest Resource Studies

Please define forest.

# Soil Mapping

You got me on this one. Let me guess, another CUT.

# Urban Forestry

Please define forest.

# Wildlife Management

CUT
# Precommercial Thinnings

CUT

# Long-Term Forest Management

Please define forest.

# Lease Management

CUT
# Litigation - Expert Witness

TO CUT
# Assistance In Vendor Location And Supervision

CUT
# Ad Valorem Tax Assistance

??????????????????

What part of it don't you comprehend?

What he does besides cut the wood out of once fertile forest - tree farming
CUT

Where tree biology falls into the picture.

Every where, unlike you, I have the education, and the experience. What
do you have, deadwood?

An uderstanding of tree biology for starters.

If you understand tree biology than please explain why the only treatment
you offer is cutting out the wood?

How do you help forest with respect to the ecological stages of trees and
things like fungi diversity? Please comment.

Do you use a SHIGOMETER and if not why not?

You have fancy names but have yet to even define what you mean when you say
"forest"? What is a forest to you besides future tree farms to get the wood
out?

You say soil mapping? What is the optimum fertility levels for Eastern
hemlock. Or in Texas, what is the optimum fertility level for live oaks?

What is an urban forest? Please define what you mean when you say forest.

How do you manage wildlife? By helping people not miss the opportunity to
salvage the wood from the wildlife. You are a taker.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

Old 24-03-2008, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

Nonsence cut

Unlike you, deadwood, I don't have to write a dictionary to acquire some
level of education or expertise that you seem to want, but will never
obtain. The four or five shelves of books, from college and continuing
education, define what a forester does, his background, his phylosophy.

I ask again, other than your dumb ass dictionary, what education do you
have, other than the day courses put on by Dr. Shigo, where you were a saw
hand?

Old 24-03-2008, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

The man of the day would tell you, "Inasmuch as you have done it to one
of the least of these my brothers, you have done it to me". Sleep well.

I can see my house from here.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html
Old 24-03-2008, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:45:29 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

He never claimed to be a tree biologist. He said he is a forester,
which he is.

Yes he is!!!

Old 24-03-2008, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:48:41 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Why not get together and dissect some of your doughnuts. Your wounds were
big and I was not sure of them. My ignorance. I would have to dissect
like
I did with the peach tree.

Why would I dissect my trees donuts? What would be the point?

You will never understand compartmentalization and CODIT unless you dissect
trees. When you dissect the sample we will both see the result of your
treatment (access) and then better understand trees.

The
trees are as healthy as can be.

What do you consider a healthy trees?

If they decline it will be due to the
way they were impacted during the building of my house 8 years ago.
It takes a while for a live oak to show decline.

I have dissected many live oaks in transverse, radial and tangential view.

Sometime maybe we could dissect some trees together.

Old 24-03-2008, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cut cut cut, forester forester forester making decisions out of the
ignorance of tree biology. Those poor associates of trees in your area.

When you do something for a living beside convincing yes convincing people
to cut the wood out of their property maybe I will respect you. Otherwise,
get a life.

Old 25-03-2008, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:54:03 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

What do you consider a healthy trees?

What? Well, trees which do what they are supposed to do at the proper
time of year, which can tolerate levels outside their comfort zone and
which do not show a display of compensatory growth.

I have dissected many live oaks in transverse, radial and tangential view.

Sometime maybe we could dissect some trees together.

What's your sign?

Dead end?

Old 25-03-2008, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

In other words, you have no education. You can only "define" your self an
ego.

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Cut cut cut, forester forester forester making decisions out of the
ignorance of tree biology. Those poor associates of trees in your area.

When you do something for a living beside convincing yes convincing people
to cut the wood out of their property maybe I will respect you.
Otherwise, get a life.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 25-03-2008, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

What do you consider a healthy trees?

What? Well, trees which do what they are supposed to do at the proper
time of year, which can tolerate levels outside their comfort zone and
which do not show a display of compensatory growth.

I have dissected many live oaks in transverse, radial and tangential view.

Sometime maybe we could dissect some trees together.

What's your sign?

You may want to avail yourself of what ecologically oriented foresters
do. http://www.fscus.org/
There is more to forestry that clear cutting.

Old 25-03-2008, 11:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote in

ct.net.au:

You may want to avail yourself of what ecologically
oriented foresters do. http://www.fscus.org/
There is more to forestry that clear cutting.

indeed! i just had my woods (@ 40 acres) harvested. it worked
like this:
i called one company. the guy comes in, looks at the woods
from the driveway & says: "I can get you $10,000. from that"
i call a second company. they send out their forester he & i
take a walk through the woods. i point out some things i see.
he points out some overcrowding & disease issues. we talk
about wildlife habitat & interesting species of trees &
animals/birds we would like to encourage. he goes back to his
office & writes up a detailed proposal, explaining three
different methods of harvest & their enviromental impact,
which says somewhere near the end that timber value is likely
to be between $7,000 to $9,000.
i hire him & his logger to do the harvest, using the proposal
with the least impact but the most advantage for wildlife
habitat. then i wait for the ground to freeze or snow to fall.
can't cut in my woods unless it's frozen, as i have very wet
soil & it would damage the tree roots except when frozen &
preferably with a good foot or more of snow cover.
i wait over one whole open warm winter, through the summer, &
in December this year (just before my EPA & state permits
expired) it snowed. a lot. and they came & cut the trees.
several times during the process the forester came out & we
went through the woods so he could show me & explain what was
going on. i added a few trees i thought should go (white
pine!) even though they were useless even as pulp. we
discussed leaving a few dead snags as bird/bug hotels, a very
old maple that's just a really cool looking huge old tree,
etc.
i'm very pleased with the results. i have a large number of
veneer maple that will be ready to harvest in 12 more years
(marked so i don't tap them for syrup) & an ideal habitat for
turkey, deer & my endangered Blanding's turtles.
*that* is what a forester does.
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 26-03-2008, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:22:16 -0500, "D. Staples"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

What do you consider a healthy trees?

What? Well, trees which do what they are supposed to do at the proper
time of year, which can tolerate levels outside their comfort zone and
which do not show a display of compensatory growth.

I have dissected many live oaks in transverse, radial and tangential
view.

Sometime maybe we could dissect some trees together.

What's your sign?

Dead end?

But it was clever, no?

Yup, gotta have some humor.

[IMG] code is On

Pruning a privet hedge? DavidM United Kingdom 6 03-09-2006 12:35 PM
A Privet Hedge Question Willy Skass Lawns 2 11-06-2003 07:20 AM
Kickstarting new privet hedge Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. Gardening 0 15-04-2003 05:44 AM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM
Privet hedge and camoflauge Micko United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 08:19 AM