Old 22-03-2008, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Newbie questions about pruning privet hedge

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

You sound like a violent person or a criminal. Maybe a career criminal.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
news
...and the OP does not have a "problem". Either I watched too many
Sopranos episodes, or someone needs to take the resident tree shmexpert
out behind a dumpster for a tuneup, using a baseball bat.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Privet is not a tree.

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:49:48 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Good question. pruning information he

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Some people just use hedge trimmers. Thought you might desire targeted
information.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us
that we are not the boss.

"ajax" wrote in message

Hi folks - first-time poster here with some pretty simple questions I'm
sure, so please be kind!

I grew up in a hot and dry climate and so I'm pretty clueless when it
comes to caring for and hedges.

At the place where my front garden where it meets the pavement, I
planted a row of privet hedge plants last September. They are spaced
out about 18 inches apart and are about five feet tall and still quite
young, but have begun to sprout lots of little leaves over the past few
weeks (of course).

As they have now started to grow, I have some questions about how to
prune the plants so that they grow into the shape I want. Can you help
me?

I want the plants to grow about 6-8 inches taller than they are now,
and I also want them to "flesh out" a bit more. Little sprouts are
starting to stick up. Should I trim them now or should I let them grow
more?

How often should I trim privet hedge during the growing season?

Should I trim the sides as well?

Many thanks for your help and advice!

--
ajax

You do realize that the only thing Don Staples was good at was ragging
on Mr. Symplastless and now he'll have to take a number, just to squeeze
a few of his invectives in. What is he going to do for a raison d'être
now?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 22-03-2008, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

I am working on the three day deal. Your comments will be taken into
consideration.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
If only your problems could be explained by improper mulching. But, I
suspect your parents used your head as a battering ram to open the door
when they locked their keys in the house.

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..
Privet is a woody plant that most likely compartmentalize wounds. They
surely don't heal wounds. I would bet you could get a doughnut orf
callus result if you pruned at the right target.

All options should be on the table.

While I am at it here are some common issues with woody plants and their
associates for the newbie.

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Old 22-03-2008, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

Oh, so you think its a joke. I got news for you. For starters. I have
been shot. I have stabbed. I have had broken fingers. I have been shot at
with accuracy. The list goes on and on. Now you tell me the reason why I
should not respond is because you say it is a joke. I think, but I don't
think so. This is a news group. People thrive on the news. Like I said,
so you clearly understand without confusion, I believe in non-violent direct
action.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 22:03:04 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

Joe

What is your real name? Do you think you are hiding? I have given your
comment on which I assume you are suggesting to people on this list to
use a baseball bat on me, some extended thought. You now have 101% of my
attention. I am not a person that takes threats and such suggestions
lightly. I do believe in non-violent direct action. I now consider you
as a threat. Now lets see how a person responds when threatened. Trees
always respond when threatened. They survive for many many years, many
longer than humans under the right condition, as a sugar maple that can
have parenchyma cells live for up to 150 years if things go right.

You have chosen to take this news group to a higher level. One of
threats of violence and bodily harm. It was your decision. A poor one
if you ask me.

Don't you think I should survive like a tree and respond? If not please
explain why not. You have 3 days or I will turn this over to a higher
power, meaning a higher power than you.

This is not an HTML friendly place. Get a grip. Nobody seriously
threatened you. People here are pretty sure you have some problems,
and no sense of humor.

A sense of humor requires a brain.

Old 22-03-2008, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Boy you are really intelligent.

maybe you could explain the optimum fertility levels for trees. Or right an
essay on what logging is. Even better yet, where is your dictionary. kzin?
How do you define yourself? Explain who you are.

You obviously have al lot to say, but understand very little about trees.
I thought this was a gardening group. You seem to be power hungry.
--

"kzin" wrote in message

On 21-Mar-2008, "symplastless" wrote:

Oh, so you think its a joke. I got news for you. For starters. I have
been shot. I have stabbed. I have had broken fingers. I have been shot
at with accuracy.

not enough accuracy apparently.....

The list goes on and on.

because you keep opening your mouth no doubt.

Old 22-03-2008, 03:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Maybe you could explain at least five major differences between the way a
woody plant other than a tree compartmentalizes wounds.

Or maybe even explain five "anatomy" difference between a woody root of a
woody plant and the woody stem of a woody plant.

About threatening me with a baseball bat - threats of violence may not be
in your best interest. is that what you really desire?

At the moment, yes. And I doubt anyone in this newsgroup would mind if I
worked over your fingers first.

Old 22-03-2008, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Some people drink blood. Some people put blood on thier pancakes. At least
when sap flows from a tree they call it bleeding. Do you have a sense of
humor?

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Please go back to drinking whatever it is you drink, boy. And be very
quiet.

Old 22-03-2008, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"symplastless" wrote:

I am working on the three day deal. Your comments will be taken into
consideration.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Forester & Tree Expert
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com

John, you stress is palpable. You are making simple reading mistakes. We
don't know what is going on with you, but you seem to care, and we don't
doubt your wanting to help.

Presently, I have some ya-hoo who is questioning a statement of mine.
I'll be embarrassed if he is right but this is information that I have
been working with for a long time. Sometimes, we have to say, sorry,
your right. I'm not saying your wrong, but I suggest that you step back,
re-read the posts, think about it, and come back with your best shot.

Old 22-03-2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
With what, doughnuts?

No, with your anal obsessive/compulsive behavior.

Old 22-03-2008, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

You have already been turned over to "higher authority", the consulting
foresters and arborist of Pennsylvania.

[IMG] code is On

Pruning a privet hedge? DavidM United Kingdom 6 03-09-2006 12:35 PM
A Privet Hedge Question Willy Skass Lawns 2 11-06-2003 07:20 AM
Kickstarting new privet hedge Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. Gardening 0 15-04-2003 05:44 AM
Privet Hedge IBM United Kingdom 6 07-03-2003 08:55 AM
Privet hedge and camoflauge Micko United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 08:19 AM