Old 30-03-2008, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Opinions wanted for Meditation Walk

I'm a firm believer in usenet, especially for opinions. This concerns US
zone 6-7, the western suburbs of Philadelphia, PA.

Three years ago, we moved from a small twin with a 20-foot front yard out to
Paradise. We now have a little over half an acre, with some interesting
features inherited from the previous owners. Coming into our third summer
here, I have an overwhelming urge to remake the landscape, but I admit to
having a black thumb. Last year, I planted about 100 bulbs in my new
"garden" along the back edge of the property, and only succeeded in feeding
the deer and rabbits.

Overview at http://www.tfrog93.com/garden/garden1.htm. While I really wanted
a "photography garden" back there, I think I've given up on that idea. Now I
have a week off, and I'm working on a Meditation Walk.

Again, the previous owners had installed a gravel walk from the garage
around to the rear patio, planting primarily pines, with a Japanese maple
and a flowering dogwood as accents. Because of major construction last
summer, the Meditation Walk had to be redone (see:
http://www.tfrog93.com/garden/walk.htm, a page I just put up). To my mind,
there was far too much pine back there, so I've decided to plant at least
four rhododendrons along the walk, which I think will be a nice mix and a
nice "feel".

Along the walk, amongst the pine needles and between the rhodos, I'd like to
have a few sprays of color (perennials?). We have hostas all over the place,
that can be transplanted here, but I'd like some more - and different -
color, ideally from Spring through late Summer.

What kinds of plants can I put into this environment that will produce
colorful blooms at different times of the season? Mostly shade, only partial
sun in late morning, early afternoon. Again, my "focus" is on photography,
over and above the natural visual beauty...

Thanks for your advice, all!

dwight

Old 30-03-2008, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"dwight" wrote:

[...]

I'd add Black Bamboo, Umbrella Pines and Japanese red tinged ferns.
While at it some Hellebores, Sweet Woodruff, Japanese hollies too.
Some water sculpture with fish would add movement. I'd add some large
rocks for stillness. Wind chimes.

Books

A Japanese touch for your garden.

ISBN 0-87011-391-7

The Art of Setting Stones

ISBN 1-880656-70-1

Space & Illusion In the Japanese Garden

ISBN 0-8348-1522-2

DVD

Shaolin Soccer with Stephen Chow

Music

Stone Garden 6:17 Quiet Fire Zen Moods for the Spa Experience

Water Garden 7:51 Jalan-Jalan Bali

Chinese Bamboo Flute - Japanese- Daha (higuchi Taizan) 4:40 Wood
Flute Meditative

Ambiance

Have a party with friends and family to start the work.

Have fun and think of it as a life long endeavor !

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 30-03-2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"dwight" wrote:

I'm a firm believer in usenet, especially for opinions. This concerns US
zone 6-7, the western suburbs of Philadelphia, PA.

snip

[...]

Wow. You've given me a lot to think about. The total space is about 40'
long, 25' wide, so there's plenty of room there. I had thought it was a bit
more sparse than it needed to be.

Along the post-and-rail fence are some beautiful ferns (and other touches I
can't identify), and that's the only area with what I would call full
growth.

You've convinced me that I can do far more with this walk than I originally
planned. I guess I was thinking of a mountain path, more than a pure garden.
I like your suggestions. And, yes, I've got nothing but time. We plan on
being here for another, oh, 25 to 30 years (god willing).

I think I'll pass on the water features, though. We have a Lab mix, and
she'd be in there constantly, pawing at the fishes.

Thanks for the references. That rock garden may become more than I
anticipated.

dwight

Old 30-03-2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message

Idleness and contemplation in all stages, beginning with the
planning......spend idle time in the area before you ever start and let
your mind do it's thing...as Bill says, let it develop and grow as you
to develop and grow. Contemplation, not completion is the goal.....

Charlie

That's kind of why I refer to it as a Meditation Walk. I've been meditating
on it for three years. Simply by relocating the path, I've opened up all
sorts of possibilities.

But you're right. The rhododendrons are a must. I'll start there, then sit,
look, and think some more before I decide on the next step. I'm trying to
picture what it will be ten years from now.

But, come next Spring, I'd still like to see colors other than green and
brown.

)

Old 30-03-2008, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"dwight" wrote:

Charlie wrote in message

Idleness and contemplation in all stages, beginning with the
planning......spend idle time in the area before you ever start and let
your mind do it's thing...as Bill says, let it develop and grow as you
to develop and grow. Contemplation, not completion is the goal.....

Charlie

That's kind of why I refer to it as a Meditation Walk. I've been meditating
on it for three years. Simply by relocating the path, I've opened up all
sorts of possibilities.

But you're right. The rhododendrons are a must. I'll start there, then sit,
look, and think some more before I decide on the next step. I'm trying to
picture what it will be ten years from now.

But, come next Spring, I'd still like to see colors other than green and
brown.

)

http://plant-quest.blogspot.com/2007/02/kerria-deserves-second-look.htm

l live in S. Jersey and have all the plants mentioned. E mail me at
and I'll give you my phone number. Got to take
out fore in E address for it to work. I've got to thin them out. No
cost to you.

Bill who has many Japanese Maples and ground covers too.

Bring two bottles of wine.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 30-03-2008, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article ,
"dwight" wrote:

Charlie wrote in message

[...]

Sorry the below address may work better I Hope.

http://plant-quest.blogspot.com/2007...cond-look.html

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 30-03-2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message
In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article ,
"dwight" wrote:

Charlie wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, Bill, that's above and beyond.

I was out again looking over the space, and I'm still not getting a clear
vision. I'm taking Charlie's advice and contemplating... Problem is, I see a
couple of elements that will be coming OUT, but I'm not getting a picture
yet of what's going IN.

Looks like I need another trip to Longwood Gardens and our local Chanticleer
for some ideas. I think Chanticleer (http://www.chanticleergarden.org) would
be particularly helpful, since they have a multitude of different settings
around the estate.

Meanwhile, I count seven rhodos that need to go in this week...

dwight