Old 22-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Earl Buchan

Default Help for posting to this group

Hello everyone,

I've made a few posts to this group and have had one member of the
group email me about my possibly spamming this group.

My client, Greenwood Nursery, has been around for 25 years in the
nursery business and has some really great products and articles at
http://www.greenwoodnursery.com

What i'm wondering is if it's appropriate for me to be posting news
and information, as it comes, in this general group. I'd really like
to hear as many opinions as possible; So far one detractor doesn't
deter but if there's a concensus I'll certainl curb the posts.

All the best,
Earl

Please email me at
http://www.cirquem.com
Old 22-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Penny S.

Earl Buchan wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've made a few posts to this group and have had one member of the
group email me about my possibly spamming this group.

My client, Greenwood Nursery, has been around for 25 years in the
nursery business and has some really great products and articles at
http://www.greenwoodnursery.com

What i'm wondering is if it's appropriate for me to be posting news
and information, as it comes, in this general group. I'd really like
to hear as many opinions as possible; So far one detractor doesn't
deter but if there's a concensus I'll certainl curb the posts.

the general consensus for most (not all, I"m sure I'll get flamed on this)
is that discussion groups are for discussion only. Not solicitation, not for
posting newsletters etc. The best way to do it (IMO) is to post as an
individual, participate based on your experience, and then you can add in a
signature reference to your professional status. Assuming you provide
useful info this will build you more credibility than any product
references, articles or etc.

Penny eS

Old 23-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Ann

(Earl Buchan) expounded:

Hello everyone,

I've made a few posts to this group and have had one member of the
group email me about my possibly spamming this group.

My client, Greenwood Nursery, has been around for 25 years in the
nursery business and has some really great products and articles at
http://www.greenwoodnursery.com

What i'm wondering is if it's appropriate for me to be posting news
and information, as it comes, in this general group. I'd really like
to hear as many opinions as possible; So far one detractor doesn't
deter but if there's a concensus I'll certainl curb the posts.

There is nothing wrong with participating in discussions here, sharing
your knowledge, and including your URL in your signature. But you
aren't supposed to try to sell your products or services here.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 23-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Valkyrie

"Earl Buchan" wrote in message
m...

My client, Greenwood Nursery, has been around for 25 years in the
nursery business and has some really great products and articles at
http://www.greenwoodnursery.com

It's SPAM babe, anyway you try to slice it.

Val

Old 23-04-2003, 02:32 AM
plantkiller

Think of the newsgroup forum as a town square, a good place for
interpersonal communication and sharing of knowledge.
Think newsgroups)

On the other side of the town is the marketplace, where people go
to hawk their wares and do business. (think web pages)

The town square is not the marketplace, the marketplace is not the
town square.

Newsgroups were originally intended for people who enjoy conversing
and sharing information..... not as a ready made audience for
commercial advertisements. Many commericial enterprises consider it
a shame to discover a ready made audience for advertisements, but
newsgroups really are intended for non-commercial discussion.

As others have suggested.... a knowledgeable employee or perhaps the
owner of Greenwood, sharing his or her knowledge on a general
industry basis would be more than welcome...including a url in the
signature to the nursery. For example, responding to a posters
question, suggesting a product or group of products and posting
the fact that Greenwood Nursuries carries this particular product and
providing a link to the web site would, in my opinion, be okay....
(others on this newsgroup may disagree.... this is only my opinion).

But (in my opinion).... quoting product sizes and prices and related
or unrelated products as part of the same messages would be crossing
the boundry between helpful and commercial.

Just posting commerical advertisements even in the form of
info-mercials would be courting disaster...as many people on the
newsgroup would no doubt create a very negative image for the company
on a global basis.

The person who considered your posting spam, was correct in pointing
out the observation...

hth